What's new

Blue Thunder SE (1 Viewer)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
From Comic Con Producers panel, Mr. Charles De Lauzrika is working on this title! No release date yet, but possibly this year.

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent! I want to own this movie on DVD but have steered away from it up to now. This will make the hold out more worthwhile.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
very good news indeed :D and if mr. lauzrika is working on it, then i have no doubt it will be an awesome set. i hope roy scheider will do an audio commentary :D

btw, there better be the trailer for the film on this baby. don't blow it sony!!!!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hopefully Dan O'Bannon will have some input....although I'll bet that input won't be altogether positive as I seem to recall that he wasn't happy with what they did with his concept, "It was supposed to look sleek & dangerous like a wasp, they made it clunky like a big clumsy flying tank" or something along those lines, I don't have the Starlog that he said that in anymore.

An isolated track for Arthur B. Rubinstein's unique experimental electronic/orchestral fusion score (he put a microphone in a mayo jar to record the piano) would be nice.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I always liked this film, although I suspect it might not hold up to my childhood memories. Charles De Lauzrika's involvment is the clincher for me. I'm sure the features he's preparing should make up any disapointment I might have in the feature itself.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The film hasn't dated well, I rented the DVD a few months ago and IMO a lot of "the government is evil" conspiracy aspects seem pretty forced & stale.....still enjoyable but to me it didn't hold up as well as Badham's other thriller from the time Wargames.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
dated or not, Roy Scheider is my God. I'm buying this and and would like special editions of Sorcerer and 2010.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
WOW. I never would have suspected this title would ever see a special edition, especially one from the fantastic Charles De Lauzrika. Ive owned this title since it was first released. I look forward to the SE.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I too own the first release and while the film doesn't quite match my childhood memories, I'd be very interested in seeing what the SE DVD has to offer. If O'Bannon and Don Jakoby, who wrote the original screenplay, are involved in anyway this would make the SE that much more worthwhile. The finished film differs quite a bit from their original story which focused more on the unraveling mental state of Murphy rather than the more heroic presentation he receives in the filmed version.

Spero D

Second Unit
I own Blue Thunder on DVD and I must be in the minority as I still find it an enjoyable film.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I do hope they get Scheider's participation soon, for I read in imdb that he announced he is suffering from some form of cancer. I do hope he pulls through.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't think anyone here has said it isn't still enjoyable, just that it doesn't quite hold up to our memories of it. I.E. the seams, cliches & plot holes are more apparent today.

I know that is what I meant anyway.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah, I'm by no meens knocking BT, my suspicion of it's quality is that everytime I mention it, it generates the same eye rolling that "Megaforce" illicts in my friends.

Of course, the fact that I mention Blue Thunder's ass kicking ability of being able to loop'd'loop during pretty much any helicopter sequence in movies since could be a reason for those rolling eyes. :b (It also starts the great "Blue Thunder Vs. Airwolf" discussion that I'm usually on the loosing end of, as my pretty much non-recollection of the movie, other than the part where BT does the loop, usually degenerates to "But Blue Thunder can do a LOOP! What could Airwolf do?")

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will

I used to have those arguments with other kids. Since I saw the movie, I could compare it to Airwolf. Gotta say I still go with 'wolf. 4 chain guns, 2 gun cannons, missile pod with 3 launch ports with an arsenal including nuclear tipped missiles and the sunbursts. Trans-oceanic flight capable with mid-air refuelling and faster than any jet with the possible exception, imo, of an SR-71 Blackbird as far as Allied aircraft technology went. Also think the surveillance capability was greater in AW than BT. Can't remember this exactly, but didn't BT have silent running capability while that was absent in AW? As far as the loop goes, AW did some kinda side turn over. When BT did that loop, it kinda pulled me out of that suspension of belief I had going.

Sorry to take the thread off on the Airwolf tv show. Back to topic, I'd be happy to buy a SE of Blue Thunder. I just hope it inspires the tv show to be released as well.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
But is $ONY. Will it be FULL FRAME? The current barebones edition dropped the Widescreen side and is a AWFUL PAN & SCAN.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks