What's new

Blu-ray Wish List, Year by Year (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My 1944 choices:

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek

Wilson

Lifeboat

Lady in the Dark

Going My Way

Gaslight

Double Indemnity

Since You Went Away

Laura

Cover Girl

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Love those French posters. And Laura! I just read a good bio of Otto Preminger...Fascinating story behind that film.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Wow, I miss a couple of days and look how far I get behind:) 1941: Sargent York How Green Was My Valley Sullivan's Travels

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
1944: Double Indemnity Laura To Have and Have Not Murder, My Sweet Gaslight and possibly The Woman in the Window. I haven't seen it, but I've read good things about it.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
1944 I see a bunch of my favorites have already been posted, but I'll second (or third) them here... Double Indemnity Betrayed a.k.a. When Strangers Marry The Lodger Gaslight Dark Waters Torment (highly unlikely) Less crazy about these, but I'd probably buy them: A Canterbury Tale Laura Phantom Lady The Suspect The Woman in the Window

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
1945: Jim beat me to the punch on most of these... A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Under the Bridges Leave Her to Heaven Fallen Angel The Picture of Dorian Gray Detour Hangover Square Mildred Pierce My Name Is Julia Ross

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
1945 for me:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The Clock

Ziegfeld Follies

Spellbound

Mildred Pierce

The Bells of St. Mary's

National Velvet

The Keys of the Kingdom

The Corn Is Green

State Fair

Can't Help Singing

Leave Her to Heaven

Frenchman's Creek

The Picture of Dorian Gray

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A lot of great movies from the era belong on blu....Here's a fascinating article about the classic 30 Seconds Over Tokyo starring Spencer Tracy. The special effects in this film are quite impressive for the era...Hope WB brings this one out on blu. http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/2011/03/30-seconds-over-tokyo-mgms-elite.html Naturally enough, the main reasons for this film appearing on my blog is that it's not only a great film, but one of THE finest big budget special effects extravaganzas to come from the Metro Goldwyn Mayer film factory, and is THE finest hour, bar none, of legendary effects supervisor Albert Arnold Gillespie - best known in the industry simply as 'Buddy'. This, as we know is a matte painting blog primarily, and 30 SECONDS is well catered for in that department, with some astonishing results appearing throughout the second act under the ever vigilant eagle eye of Warren Newcombe, with some particularly fascinating painted shots, quite possibly executed by celebrated film and effects pioneer, Norman Dawn, that I've been curious about for years and will be explained below. Above all else, this is a film that stands head and shoulders above the rest in it's phenomenal miniature work - work which still stands the test of time and looks as sensational today as it did some 65 years ago. The bomb run action piece has since appeared as stock footage in other war films, most notably the Charlton Heston 1976 film THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY, and it still looked better than anything else in that film - and most of that consisted of stolen effects shots from several other films!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
1946 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_in_film OK, here's a little thought, which may be a bit tricky, but if anyone cares to name your top 3 pre 1950 films for each studio that would make great blu-rays, that might be interesting. I guess Warner Bros, which holds all of those MGM titles, probably has the most to choose from....This one was a big influence on Martin Scorsese:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks