What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Interesting point he made about no other titles being licensed for release. Perhaps disc releases will slow further as studios prefer a streaming only option.

Well I suppose that's because Disney has acquired Fox, & who knows what will happen, it may not affect Fox licensing films out at all. Being counter-intuitive, with a lot less people buying video discs, I don't see why studios can't carry one licensing movies, with the numbers being quite small it's not really going to make any dent in their streaming business & will keep the flag flying for the films. We'll see.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
NOT a blu ray but I thought this might be of interest. I just posted it on the DVD forum:

"The Last Valley (1971) with Michael Caine and Omar Sharif gets an anamorphic release on DVD in Germany on December 20, 2019. The old Anchor Bay domestic release was not anamorphic. Kino Lorber has the U.S. rights and when asked about a blu ray release, they indicated the elements weren't good enough for HD. It will be interesting to see what the German DVD looks like." https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07X27TZL4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Screen ratio .. as listed .. is wrong and price is quite low so would not be surprised if it is released incorrectly.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Screen ratio .. as listed .. is wrong and price is quite low so would not be surprised if it is released incorrectly.

It is depressing that such an exceptionally good looking film is now coming to DVD from an oldish master that is not deemed good enough for a Blu-ray (judging by probably not the highest of standards).

In that case I would not be too concerned if it was either 2.35:1, 2.2:1 or 1.77:1 as in any case it will be a mere shadow of what it once was.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
One of the most requested Steve Reeves titles (outside of Hercules and Hercules Unchained) is coming to blu ray in Germany on December 6, 2019 ... The Thief Of Bagdad (1961) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07YTC4M5N/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Steve+Reeves&qid=1572499174&s=dvd&sr=1-4

I resemble that remark... somewhat.

Also recently released is a spate of Blu-rays (with differing covers) of the Sabu-Veidt-Duprez-Powell 1940 version, which I resemble even more closely.

Here’s one: https://www.amazon.de/The-Thief-of-Bagdad-Blu-ray/dp/B07X4CCLN8

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Plus a couple of Doris Day films on Jan.10th, Move Over, Darling (1963) & Caprice (1967). I could be wrong, but I don't think they've been released on Blu-ray yet.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received the Elvis movie Change Of Habit from Germany today. Other than a bit of gate weave, the picture quality is excellent. It is region-free and includes the theatrical trailer, also excellent quality. The default language is German but you can switch to English and/or English subs in the main menu.

https://www.amazon.de/Elvis-Presley-Himmlischer-Schwindel-Blu-ray/dp/B07WJR8P9X/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1YDF5J3S3I75L&keywords=change+of+habit+blu+ray&qid=1573159731&sprefix=change+of+habit,aps,357&sr=8-1

Last edited:

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Mine has arrived. The image is quite grainy but a good step up from the DVD. Always a top favourite and very pleased to now have it on blu ray. Clark Gable and Susan Hayward are fab.
Back home and after looking at the disc, I find it far too grainy.
None of the many Fox Scope transfers that I have are as bad as this one.
Disappointing !

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Re: THE THIEF OF BAGDAD

I received my copy of "The Thief of Bagdad" Blu-Ray today -- for what it is worth it has the following information on the back:

"Ungekürzte Fassung in neuer abtastung"
(which translates roughly as "uncut version in new transfer")
95 Min.
1080P 2.35-1
Sprachen: Deutch, Italienisch, englisch - Untertitlen: Deutsch, Italienisch
(Great that it has an English track!)
Bonusmaterial: Interview mit Stunt-Double Giovanni Cianfriglia - Bildergaleria

I have not watched it yet as I am at work.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Re: THE THIEF OF BAGDAD

I received my copy of "The Thief of Bagdad" Blu-Ray today -- for what it is worth it has the following information on the back:

"Ungekürzte Fassung in neuer abtastung"
(which translates roughly as "uncut version in new transfer")
95 Min.
1080P 2.35-1
Sprachen: Deutch, Italienisch, englisch - Untertitlen: Deutsch, Italienisch
(Great that it has an English track!)
Bonusmaterial: Interview mit Stunt-Double Giovanni Cianfriglia - Bildergaleria

I have not watched it yet as I am at work.
That is so exciting! We'll be looking for a follow-up report once you've had a chance to watch it.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Wow! I just finished watching "The Thief of Baghdad" -- it appears to be region free, and it does have the three language tracks as noted including English with no forced subtitles. Some short sections cut from the official US release version are only in Italian -- but you can engage English subtitles for those sections which only kick in when the Italian sections are shown. Or you can let the English version, including the non-English sections, play totally without subtitles. There is no decline in image quality for those Italian sections -- only the language being spoken changes.

The transfer exceeded all of my expectations -- it is spotless, colors pop, and is very naturally sharp. It is great to finally have this film which I've loved since I was a kid looking like it is brand new and made yesterday, If you've seen "The Golden Arrow" on its recent Blu-Ray release, this is comparable if not better. The interview with the stunt double guy is of poorer quality and is not subtitled. Sound quality is good -- with some expected distortion when choral music kicks in.

An amusing note -- the grand music that plays beneath the menu options is from the Miklos Rozsa score for the earlier film.

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Wow! I just finished watching "The Thief of Baghdad" -- it appears to be region free, and it does have the three language tracks as noted including English with no forced subtitles. Some short sections cut from the official US release version are only in Italian -- but you can engage English subtitles for those sections which only kick in when the Italian sections are shown. Or you can let the English version, including the non-English sections, play totally without subtitles. There is no decline in image quality for those Italian sections -- only the language being spoken changes.

The transfer exceeded all of my expectations -- it is spotless, colors pop, and is very naturally sharp. It is great to finally have this film which I've loved since I was a kid looking like it is brand new and made yesterday, If you've seen "The Golden Arrow" on its recent Blu-Ray release, this is comparable if not better. The interview with the stunt double guy is of poorer quality and is not subtitled. Sound quality is good -- with some expected distortion when choral music kicks in.

An amusing note -- the grand music that plays beneath the menu options is from the Miklos Rozsa score for the earlier film.
I have been hesitant to pull the trigger as I was unsure of the English language availability and couldn’t find any decent reviews regarding on Amazon.De
Also, with several media book options and, I believe a regular Blu ray, I am curious if they all offer the same options/ extras, etc.
Can you specify which version you purchased?

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I purchased this one:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07YTC4M5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a regular Blu-Ray in a simple black keepcase -- no booklet. Also I am aware of the fact that there are true experts on this forum with knowledge about transfers that eclipses my meager knowledge. But my enthusiasm about finally having a wide-screen, anamorphic, decent transfer caused me to post. If you've suffered through, for example, a previous Italian DVD release of the film you know what I mean!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks