1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robin9, Jul 18, 2012.

1. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn

2. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

According the Explosive Media's website, the transfer is from a 4k transfer but no mention of a 4k release.
    The transfer seems to come from Sony and they seem to do things properly so 2.40:1 and 5.1 surround please.
    I normally can't order from Amazon.de because of our stupid Aussie tax laws but will be in Europe in Sept/Oct so very tempted.
    Would look fantastic in 4k!!

3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

That one will look very nice and a lot better than War and Peace. I saw a (faded) 70mm print a few years ago and I am tempted to revisit it.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I got my German blu ray of Sitting Bull (1954), a CinemaScope western with Dale Robertson, Mary Murphy and J. Carrol Naish in today's mail. I had only seen the film in inferior public domain transfers and this legit release (it comes with the MGM/UA logo before the film and the copyright is there) is the best I've seen it look. Sadly, it's far from pristine. Many of the long shots are soft and the color needs work but if you're a westerns fan, this is probably the best we'll ever see it look.

Simon Lewis, Robin9 and Douglas R like this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Looks like you're describing several westerns released in Germany on BD like "The Guns of Fort Petticoat" that I watched today.

6. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I didn't realise SITTING BULL had been released. I saw the film theatrically when it was first released and can even remember the cinema where I saw it. It was one of my first CinemaScope viewings and as a child I loved it. It'll be interesting to see it again.

7. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I too saw this film when it first came out and I was a small boy. (My father loved Westerns!) I don't think I've ever seen it since then so, yes, it will be interesting to watch it again.

8. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    Thanks to Amazon I ordered SITTING BULL on Friday and it arrived on Sunday!

It's a rather slow-going lacklustre western until the last 40 minutes or so, during which the Battle of the Little Bighorn takes place - a long action sequence which is very well handled. Indeed much of the preceding film is just padding for the climactic fight. I realise why I enjoyed the film so much as a child because that final fight is surprisingly savage!

Clearly not much work has gone into the transfer because picture quality is disappointing - frankly it's not a lot better than watching a DVD. For some reason the main title is windowboxed at a ratio of 2.35:1 (the ratio as stated on the box) although after the titles the film is in a ratio of 2.55:1, which would be correct for early CinemaScope.

The disc includes the original English language theatrical trailer and an excellent, extensive Gallery of stills, posters, press books etc.

Simon Lewis, Robin9 and Thomas T like this.
  9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

While the transfer leaves a lot to be desired, as I said above, it's the best I've ever seen it look. The film has fallen into the public domain and the quality of DVDs ranged from atrocious to barely adequate. Unless a major restoration is done (and frankly, as it's a marginal title, I don't see that happening), this is probably the best we'll see it look and I found the transfer more than watchable.

But hey, that's me! :)

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What is your screen size? I think that has a lot to do with what's watchable to many of us.

11. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

43". Anything larger would be too big. I live in a small apartment and the distance between the viewing couch and the screen is about 8 ft. When I go to the movies, I always sit in the very last row if possible and nowhere near the front. I don't like being close to the screen.

12. john a hunter

I see that Soldier of Fortune is being released end of September.
    I hear it is a very good early Scope and seems to have a good reputation.

Keith Cobby likes this.
  13. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Opinions vary. This forum has one very big fan of the film but I find it bland. The Clark Gable character has been softened to make him likable and this weakens the credibility of the film. A man like that confronted by a desperate, good-looking woman would have tried his luck, but this man is the perfect gentleman. I don't find that plausible but you might respond differently.

14. john a hunter

Thanks for that Rob.
    I'm a sucker for 2.55 Scope so will probably try it.
    My main concern is that as Susan Haywood couldn't travel overseas when making this,we will be stuck with all those terrible back projections.
    They really took the shine for me off Untamed.

15. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Can't wait, preordered.

16. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Glenn Erickson says the back projection is "very good" in Soldier Of Fortune.

https://trailersfromhell.com/soldier-of-fortune/

17. john a hunter

Good to hear John.
    Glenn seems never to be able to tell stereo from mono,so let's hope is is better when it comes to rear projection.!!

Keith Cobby likes this.
  18. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I really like to read up on some of his takes and background infos for movies, sound and video not so much.
    Everybody has different strengths and weaknesses and I am glad that he is around even though I do not look for his reviews to make buying decisions based on his picture and sound quality ratings.

john a hunter likes this.
  19. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Interesting point he made about no other titles being licensed for release. Perhaps disc releases will slow further as studios prefer a streaming only option.

20. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

NOT a blu ray but I thought this might be of interest. I just posted it on the DVD forum:

"The Last Valley (1971) with Michael Caine and Omar Sharif gets an anamorphic release on DVD in Germany on December 20, 2019. The old Anchor Bay domestic release was not anamorphic. Kino Lorber has the U.S. rights and when asked about a blu ray release, they indicated the elements weren't good enough for HD. It will be interesting to see what the German DVD looks like." https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07X27TZL4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Robin9 likes this.