What's new

Have BR & 4K Manufacturing Processes Changed Recently? (1 Viewer)

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I have always been able to feel the difference between Blu Ray discs and DVD's, especially at the edges. BR's feel smooth and polished, whereas DVD's have a rough unfinished feel at the edge and are sometimes more flimsy in thickness.
Lately I have noticed new BR's and 4K'S with the rough and flimsy DVD feel. The series "1923" was the most recent with disc manufacturing from Germany.
My fear is the greater failure rate of DVDs might be due to the ease of contaminates entering roughly finished edges. Thicker BR's with smooth and polished edges may have provided more reliable contaminant protection.
Any thoughts?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
pressing quality has gone out the window last few years . On the other site there is a thread called "'show us your scratched discs" . A real head shaker . Only Sony Austria and Japanese replicators care anymore . Ive noticed that german pressed blu rays (ifpi code UG) are getting worse and worse eg many complaints of 3 colours series from Curzon shipping scratched discs . Indicator UK used to make theirs at Sony Austria , now they press at germany and it shows, im seeing scratched discs from them , which was unheard of before . I think if blu rays rot , its thought due to inferior resins or delamination , but there are no papers on this that i know of

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ive noticed that german pressed blu rays (ifpi code UG) are getting worse and worse eg many complaints of 3 colours series from Curzon shipping scratched discs . Indicator UK used to make theirs at Sony Austria , now they press at germany and it shows, im seeing scratched discs from them , which was unheard of before .

IFPI UG** is actually a Technicolor facility in Piaseczno, Masovia in Poland.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
YOUVE Mentoned that elsewhere from memory , the data ive seen says otherwise

The only IFPI UG** discs I have, are mostly music cds/dvds from some indie european record labels. (I don't have any blurays manufactured with IFPI UG**). On the packaging where a place of manufacture is printed (if at all), it is typically "made in E.U." or "made in european union" type of generic wording. Not very insightful.

The only other insight I'm aware of is from the folks at discogs.com figuring out the ifpi sid mastering and mould codes from cd/dvd/bluray discs manufactured at Piaseczno (allegedly).

The only list I'm aware of where numerous IFPI UG** discs were asserted to be possibly from Deutschland (Germany), is an older list of ipfi codes at musik-sammler.de

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Only Sony Austria and Japanese replicators care anymore .

Here's an interesting thread about recent history at two (now only one) Sony DADC plants in Salzburg, Austria. One poster (agentcat00) seems to be getting a lot of semi-insider information.

The IFPI sid mastering codes for bluray/4Kbluray cutting machines are LY23 to LY27

The IFPI sid mastering codes for cd/dvd cutting machines are L551 to L558

(Sony DADC manufactured discs at Salzburg will have IFPI sid mould code 94**).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have always been able to feel the difference between Blu Ray discs and DVD's, especially at the edges. BR's feel smooth and polished, whereas DVD's have a rough unfinished feel at the edge and are sometimes more flimsy in thickness.

The only dvd discs I'm aware of which had a smoother/polished feel on the edges, were american Sony released dvd titles manufactured at Sony DADC's facility in Terre Haute, Indiana before the cd/dvd/bluray disc manufacturing lines were closed down in early-mid 2018.

These Terre Haute manufactured Sony discs had IFPI sid mould code QW**.

After Terre Haute lines were closed down (except for manufacturing Sony Playstation discs until earlier this year), Sony then outsourced most of their remaining cd/dvd/bluray disc manufacturing clients (such as Sony Pictures Entertainment of america, the canadian eOne, etc ...) to Technicolor's giant Guadalajara, Mexico disc manufacturing facility (with IFPI sid mould code KK**).

The dvd discs manufactured at Technicolor Mexico (ifpi KK**) have always had a "rough unfinished feel at the edge" for more than a decade. For the past decade or so , this Mexico plant manufactured dvds/blurays discs in high volumes for Disney/Fox, Universal, Warner, and until recently Paramount.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
The only dvd discs I'm aware of which had a smoother/polished feel on the edges, were american Sony released dvd titles manufactured at Sony DADC's facility in Terre Haute, Indiana before the cd/dvd/bluray disc manufacturing lines were closed down in early-mid 2018.

These Terre Haute manufactured Sony discs had IFPI sid mould code QW**.

After Terre Haute lines were closed down (except for manufacturing Sony Playstation discs until earlier this year), Sony then outsourced most of their remaining cd/dvd/bluray disc manufacturing clients (such as Sony Pictures Entertainment of america, the canadian eOne, etc ...) to Technicolor's giant Guadalajara, Mexico disc manufacturing facility (with IFPI sid mould code KK**).

The dvd discs manufactured at Technicolor Mexico (ifpi KK**) have always had a "rough unfinished feel at the edge" for more than a decade. For the past decade or so , this Mexico plant manufactured dvds/blurays discs in high volumes for Disney/Fox, Universal, Warner, and until recently Paramount.
Of 4 recent purchases,1923 and Dungeons & Dragons have unfinished edges (like dvds), while Hugo and Guardians are smooth (traditional BR & 4K's). All of these titles were released in the last 2 months. 1923 had a "made in Germany" imprint on the shrink wrap. I don't know about the other 3.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Of 4 recent purchases,1923 and Dungeons & Dragons have unfinished edges (like dvds), while Hugo and Guardians are smooth (traditional BR & 4K's). All of these titles were released in the last 2 months. 1923 had a "made in Germany" imprint on the shrink wrap. I don't know about the other 3.

IIRC, 1923 was recently released by Paramount. Dungeons/Dragons also appears to also be a Paramount release.

Guardians (if it is the Marvel variant), is likely Disney.

No idea who released Hugo. (I'm not familiar with what disc manufacturing facilities are used by smaller boutique third party companies, such as Arrow, etc ...). If you know how to read ifpi codes stamped in the first transparent inner ring away from the center hole, lets us know what they are.

Disney discs are likely still manufactured at Technicolor Mexico (IFPI sid mould code KK**), unless they changed recently.

Since Aug 2021, Viacom/Paramount has changed their disc manfuacturer to BMG/Sonopress in Guetersloh, North-Rhine Westphalia in Germany. It has IFPI sid mould code 07**

So far I noticed the main difference between BMG/Sonopress Germany and Technicolor Mexico, is that the BMG/Sonopress manufactured discs have a lot less fingerprints and less minor scratches in giant multidisc sets (such as complete tv series dvd or bluray sets). Otherwise the manufacturing quality doesn't appear to be much different, with the rough edges etc ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There other big cd/dvd/bluray manufacturing facility in Germany is Optimal Media GmbH in Roebel-Mueritz in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Western Pomerania). It is in the northern region of the former East Germany.

Discs manufactured at Roebel-Mueritz will have IFPI sid mould code 97**

Unfortunately Optimal has had a lousy track record for defective bluray discs, which was widely exhibited in the Beatles album re-releases over the past several years where some releases had an actual bluray disc. (These defective discs were widely discussed on message boards where the hardcore music cd collectors hang out, such as the stevehoffman forum).

Unfortunately the audio cd discs manufactured at Optimal over the past 5+ years, also seem to be almost just as problematic as their bluray discs. Also many complaints about defective Beatles audio cd discs over the past several years. (With that being said, I took a chance on buying the 3-disc White Album cd re-release, which seems to be ok so far).

This is the primary reason why I have turned down many cd/bluray sets released by indie record companies from europe, when I discovered (via discogs.com) that the bluray discs were manufactured by Optimal Media with IFPI sid mould code 97**

If I discover that these same european indie record companies had different pressings done for the american releases of their same respective titles, I will check who the american disc manufacturer is (via discogs.com). Usually I will buy the american pressing of the cd/bluray sets, if I can figure out that the disc manufacturer is reliable.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One huge segment which has been affected, is the european division of Universal Music Group (UMG) signing a long term agreement with Optimal Media GMBH more than two years ago (in March 2021). Here's an article about this (in german).

Since 2021 as a knee-jerk reaction, I stopped looking through european UMG music titles released (or re-released) on cd, dvd, and/or bluray after 2020. Instead I'll look for the american or japanese pressings of UMG released titles.

Last edited:

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Aside from the pressing materials, I have had more issue with quality control from some of these companies, especially Imprint. I recently had a real headache of a problem with the Jerry Lewis at Columbia bluray set. It contains 2 movies. The first disc worked. Would you believe the second disc was actually blank?? No scratches at all. But there was no info on the disc and it would not load at all. Showed up as "unknown" in the player. When I contacted ViaVision/Imprint, they said they could not replace it and I should go back to the store where I purchased. The store where I purchased had initially directed me to ViaVision and when they would not replace it, they allowed a return. Never experienced such a yo-yo situation returning a bluray disc before. Never even had the need to return one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Aside from the pressing materials, I have had more issue with quality control from some of these companies, especially Imprint. I recently had a real headache of a problem with the Jerry Lewis at Columbia bluray set. It contains 2 movies. The first disc worked. Would you believe the second disc was actually blank?? No scratches at all. But there was no info on the disc and it would not load at all. Showed up as "unknown" in the player. When I contacted ViaVision/Imprint, they said they could not replace it and I should go back to the store where I purchased. The store where I purchased had initially directed me to ViaVision and when they would not replace it, they allowed a return. Never experienced such a yo-yo situation returning a bluray disc before. Never even had the need to return one.

Oooh, I better check mine as I bought that set as well. Only watched THE BIG MOUTH so far.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Oooh, I better check mine as I bought that set as well. Only watched THE BIG MOUTH so far.
I had watched THE BIG MOUTH the previous week and it played perfectly. However, I see there was review for both movies on the site. So I'm assuming discs should work and I received a bad one. I was just very surprised that ViaVision/Imprint would not replace it considering it is most-certainly a faulty disc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had watched THE BIG MOUTH the previous week and it played perfectly. However, I see there was review for both movies on the site. So I'm assuming discs should work and I received a bad one. I was just very surprised that ViaVision/Imprint would not replace it considering it is most-certainly a faulty disc.

That kind of puts a bad taste in one's mouth knowing that they gave you a hard time about returning a blank disc that was supposed to be filled with program content. Would not have initially expected that from Via Vision/Imprint.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I thought it was pretty standard that if a consumer buys a defective item, the first course of action is to return it to the point of sale.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I thought it was pretty standard that if a consumer buys a defective item, the first course of action is to return it to the point of sale.
I tried that and was directed to Via Vision. The response I received was to go back to the point of purchase. The store then finally approved a return. They were trying to avoid a full return and get me a replacement disc from the manufacture, ViaVision who turned me away stating that it wasn't an affiliated store. What difference does that make?! They obviously manufactured the disc and took zero responsibility for sending a blank disc. It's almost laughable if I wasn't so irritated by the whole situation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it’s worth, I received a disc from Via Vision that appeared at first glance to be defective - would not load in the player. It turned out that there was nothing wrong with the disc, but rather, that they used the latest version of encryption that my player hadn’t yet downloaded the update to be able to play it.

ViaVision who turned me away stating that it wasn't an affiliated store. What difference does that make?!

Via Vision would have no way of knowing that you had purchased the disc from a legitimate outlet vs acquired a copy that might have been previously discarded from them as being defective. I get the frustration but that’s very standard for any manufacturer of any product - most of them will direct you to the point of sale. I think it was the store that erred in turning you away in the first place. You’re the store’s customer, and the store is Via Vision’s customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks