What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ Black Widow (2021)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Title: Black Widow ()

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Cate Shortland

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, O.T. Fagbenle, Rachel Weisz, David Harbour

Plot: First standalone movie of Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Variety reports that Marvel has hired Jac Schaeffer to write a stand-alone Black Widow movie, the first step in its development. Of course, plenty of scripts are commissioned that are not made into films, but the anticipation on this one is so high, that it seems a better-than-average bet that it will be made.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/marvel-black-widow-jac-schaeffer-screenwriter-1202643908/

The article also says that Marvel execs met with Scarlett Johansson to talk about what they wanted to see in a movie, suggesting that the writer will have some guidelines to follow. No word on when the movie might be released.

This one has been a long time coming. Glad to see its first steps happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
53416B03-A018-42E4-B148-33C2FDA0FAB7.gif
I want one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Took 'em long enough. Glad it's finally happening. After her long and terrific run in the other Marvel films, Scarlett Johansson deserves this, and so does the character, and so do the fans.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That would make sense. That's after Avengers 4, so presumably some longtime actors are going to have their deals up, so if they can keep Johansson around, that provides some continuity between what they've been doing up to now and what comes next. Of course, that also means we know she can't die in Avengers 4, but that's okay.

According to Box Office Mojo, Marvel has three dates carved out for 2020: May 1, August 7 and November 6.

James Gunn has confirmed that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is targeting 2020, so I assume that one will probably land on the May 1 date, which is the same slot they used for Vol. 2 last year.

If so, that leaves August 7 or November 6 for Black Widow.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
So then....Widow to survive Infinity War? Unless this is an origin story film.

I imagine that her whole 'red on my ledger' story would be somewhat interesting - maybe?

Wouldn't it be odd/unusual to have an origin story after so many current day stories of that character being told first?

*cough* HanSolo *cough*

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I would assume she has to survive Infinity War. Except for Captain Marvel and the first Captain America film, Marvel usually prefers to move forward, not backward. If the character dies in Infinity War, I'm not sure audiences would want to engage as much with a prequel while still mourning for her death. (As Jimmy noted, that didn't stop them from doing Han Solo, but still.) Also, the ones who most people seem to think will die are at the end of their contracts, which Scarlett must not be if this is in development, since of course it would have to be her.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A prequel makes sense.

I’d like to see them explore her indoctrination and training as a Black Widow and how/why she broke away and joined SHIELD. Good opportunity to use Jeremy Renner as well.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Buried in The Hollywood Reporter's story about the new Star Trek film going to a female director:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Marvel Studios has been looking for a director to break its glass ceiling with Black Widow and has been meeting with filmmakers such as Deniz Gamze Erguven (the Turkish movie Mustang), Chloe Zhao (The Rider) and Amma Asante (A United Kingdom), among several others. That search is still ongoing, according to sources.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...nes-director-talks-direct-star-trek-4-1106180

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It seems weird that Marvel would hire a production designer before first deciding on a director, who might expect to have some input on hires for the crew working under her.

Then again, maybe the already know who is directing it and just won't make any announcements until post-Avengers 4. (Man, I'm ready to not be calling that Avengers 4. We'll take that title anytime, Marvel. Anytime...)

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It seems weird that Marvel would hire a production designer before first deciding on a director, who might expect to have some input on hires for the crew working under her.

Then again, maybe the already know who is directing it and just won't make any announcements until post-Avengers 4. (Man, I'm ready to not be calling that Avengers 4. We'll take that title anytime, Marvel. Anytime...)

The article above says that an announcement of the director could be next.

I very much doubt they'd wait until May 2019 to announce a 2020 film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, they have the three dates in 2020 claimed so it doesn't really matter when they announce what films will go where. One of them will be Guardians 3, per James Gunn.

But, if Black Widow is indeed a prequel to her previous MCU appearances, the outcome of the present conflict with Thanos may not have much or any bearing on ti anyway, so it might be safe to announce anytime. I don't think they want to make any more announcements than absolutely necessary about stories that will follow A4 chronologically before that film comes out.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks