What's new

Black Hawk Down - subtitles (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I have a question about the sub-titles in Black Hawk Down. The ones that were part of the movie, when the Somalis and Pakistanis were speaking. Why did they make them go outside the 2.35:1 frame. When I saw it, one line subtiles were all below the frame. Two line subtitles, the bottom line was below the frame and the top line was in the frame.

If it's supposed to be OAR, weren't all these subtitles inside the frame in the theater?

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
For the DVD release the subtitles are player generated. Hopefully the upcoming SE will have burned in subtitles,

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
And even if they use player generated subtitles on the next release, have them all within the frame and appear more film-looking. (Or just use the damn opticals from the actual film, now there's an idea! ;))
On my 16x9 display, the second line of subtitles (or a single line) appears just slightly below the 2.40:1 frame, which is rather irritating.
Jason

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
If you search around in studio feedback, I started a thread to rant at this very subject, because it REALLY bugs a lot of people with front projection systems with mattes, and indeed those who use mattes on their TV display.

Columbia always do this, and I really hate it. Crouching Tiger is another offender. If they have to do these ugly player generated subtitles, then learn from Lucasfilm/Fox and their release of Phantom Menace, which when viewed in anamorphic saw the subtitles (although player generated) correctly placed within the film frame.

Be neat if Charlie can spare a second to comment on the status of the subtitles in the upcoming Black Hawk Down SE. I didn't go for the bare bones release, I am awaiting the special edition.

Dan

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry I searched on Black Hawk Down and also 'Black and Hawk and Down' and didn't see anything obvious. Seems like most hits were in the threads themselves, not the Subject Line.

ANyway, yes it's damn annoying. I mean why do they go part of the way OAR and then say, oh, we'll put this outside what it was in the theater.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Back in the non-anamorphic 4x3 television days of hometheater... widescreen VHS and laserdisc, mind you, I always prefered it. They're more readible in the black and you don't get the problems of white on light from say, Tora! Tora! Tora!

That said, it is irritating when they're half in the black, half not. And with multiple aspect ratio TVs as well as mattes, it'd be alot safer using the burned in subs.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
My "rant" thread in studio feedback is here. Sadly this doesn't seem an issue many care about. I care about it, and I don't even run mattes or own a front projection set up (I will next year).
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks