Bjork coming to SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I just noticed Bjork's Vespertine is coming to SACD this coming weekend on the Hong Kong e-tailer layoyo.com's website. While I have heard Bjork titles will be coming to SACD, I didn't realize it was this soon. I checked sa-cd.net and this is not on the "Upcoming" list, and nor is it on Universal's "Upcoming" list of releases here in North America.

2. Michael St. Clair

Bjork is on Warner here, so there will be no SACDs here. I wouldn't be surprised to see a DVD-A announcement at some point.

Also, most, if not all of her albums were recorded in PCM. Vespertine is 24/48 PCM.

3. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Vespertine was released on DVD-A here several months ago. Link.

4. Michael St. Clair

Yeah, I have the Vespertine DVD-A. Probably close to two years now.

I was referring to the other titles as DVD-A candidates in the states.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Bjork's website is already offering it:

http://pinnacle.bjork.com/#VespertineSACD

Acoustic Sounds is selling it in N. Am. for $29.99.

I'd love to read some reviews before paying that much for it.

Doug

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

From the website:

Woohoo! Now this is the sort of thing I want on SACD!

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I saw it for sale on either Amazon U.K. or France two weeks ago. I bought the DVD-A about a month ago or I would have ordered a copy. Seems like it was cheaper over there....?

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm itching to get Debut, Post and Homogenic.
    I already have the Vespertine DVD-A and CD, unless the SA-CD offers something new, I can't justify getting it.

9. Michael St. Clair

I'd just buy the Vespertine DVD-A from Circuit City for $13.99 before paying $30 for the SACD. The album was produced in Protools 24/48 PCM.

10. Doug Otte

Well, I took the plunge & ordered Vespertine from Acoustic Sounds for $29.99 plus $5.95 shipping (ouch!). To soften the blow, I added a Ravel SACD for $19.99. Because Acoustic Sounds charges the same shipping fee regardless of how many discs you order, it makes more sense to order at least two.

However, Acoustic Sounds has a release date of March 16, but still lists it as pre-order. Bjork's site still has a March 8 release date. Has anyone actually gotten the disc yet, or seen any reviews?

Doug

11. Michael St. Clair

Ouch is right, especially when the native-PCM DVD-A is $13.99!

12. Doug Otte

I know, but I don't have a DVD-A player, and would rather pay extra to experience hi-rez instead of settling for the DVD-V layer on the DVD-A.

Hey, if I didn't waste money on expensive imports, what would I spend it on - clothes, my daughter, my house?

Doug

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

My system is better for SACD, so I'll be getting these, even though the DVD-A might sound better (all things being equal, which they aren't in my system). In other words, I've got a Bjork "Vespertine" DVD-A for trade or sale, if anybody's interested... I like pop, punk, rock, jazz, newgrass, gypsy funk fusion. Even on regular ol' ceedee! [​IMG]

14. Michael St. Clair

In that situation, I'd probably do the same.

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I'm think its possible that DSD conversions from PCM masters can greatly exceed expectations. The Steely Dan Gaucho SACD was excellent, for example. I think a lot depends on the care put into the mastering job and the quality of the initial recording.

16. Doug Otte

I just received the disc on Saturday, and have listened to a few tracks over 2 sessions.

Overall, it's what I expected. The MCH mix nicely opens up the soundstage and all the wonderful choir, synth, effects, etc. fill the speakers in a nice, musical way.

As with the original CD, the sound is a bit thin, but I don't know how much of it is due to PCM and how much was the producer's intention. I suspect the latter. Although Bjork is moving away from her early electronic dance sound (sorry; don't know the exact genre), she and her producers still seem to like that overly EQed sound w/ bass & treble emphasized to the detriment of midrange. I haven't heard the DVD-A, so I can't compare.

During the first listen, I was cleaning the living room. Towards the end of track 4, when the choir swells, I just stood transfixed in the middle of the room. Wonderful! I love it. If you like the CD, you will love the SACD.

Doug