Totally subjective review of the JBL S38II

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Longcor, May 3, 2004.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Oct 21, 2001
    I just received my pair which I ordered from Harman Audio for $200 (for the pair). The first thing I noticed when I opened the large box, was that it had two massive speakers inside! I knew the dimensions before ordering it but that doesn't really prepare you for the size of these beasts. They are a really hefty speaker and they look pretty funny on my skinny stands.

Harman Kardon PT2300 stereo pre-amp
    Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 amp
    Sony SCD-CE775 SACD Player
    Panasonic S47 (2 channel DVD Audio)

Initial thoughts:
    WOW! I pop in Nora Jones and it's like she's sitting right there in front of me singing. If I closed my eyes she would be sitting right where my TV is. The clarity of vocals is amazing after coming from a 5.1 setup with Eosone RSF400 speakers. The Eosones just didn't have the clarity and range of the JBL's. I can pick out individual instruments instead of just hearing a combined sound.

Bjork - Vespertine in 2 channel DVD-Audio is next and it sounds superb. It's amazingly clear and I'm really going to have to sit down and listen to the whole thing. I finished off with a little Led Zeppelin and I was smiling the whole time. It's only the first night and I already want to cycle through all my CD's to hear everything again.

DVD is a mixed bag. The speakers sound great and dialogue is crystal clear. The bad part is I miss having a dedicated LFE channel. My sub doesn't get the workout it did in 5.1, but I can live with it since music is off the chart.

I'd have to agree with others on this forum that these speakers are an unbelievable steal. I was going to use these as a temperary setup and then move to Polk LSi's, but these sound so incredible that I may just build a surround setup around them. Having S38II's all around would be killer. I HIGHLY recommend you give these a shot if you are in the market for new speakers. I'll post some more thoughts once I've lived with them for awhile.
  2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Aug 15, 2002
    I've owned many a pair of bookshelf speakers in the last 20 years or so, and the S38s are the best I've owned under $1000/pair (I actually paid less than you did for a brand-new pair; just happened to luck upon them). Great imaging, great neutrality, great everything... [​IMG]
  3. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Oct 25, 2001
    I guess I just can't get enough of the S38 since I am now up to 6 of them (plus the SCenter) for my now 7.1 system. Works wonderfully for DVD-audio multichannel since the surround speakers now become as important as the mains and must match sonically.

God help me if I get Yamaha's receiver with front "presence" channels...

Damn you Phil!
  4. Michael Brand

Jan 5, 2002
    I gotta' agree that these are awesome speakers!! I have 4 S38II's for my fronts and side surrounds, the S-Center, and S36II's for the back (7.1) surrounds. This setup really does it all, they sound great with music (SACD!!) and fantastic with movies. I am driving these speakers with a Yamaha 1400, and added a 200 watt three channel Acurus amp for the the fronts and center. Oops, I almost forgot my SVS 20-39 PC+ subwoofer. I can't play this system enough when I am at home![​IMG]