What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Nothing new in my local stores, but found the WS version of "Paycheck" , all the previous version I found before were FS..

I heard this movie is not very good, and Ben Affleck never struck me as "action hero" material..but at this price I'll check it out... and at least Uma is in it/img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Lou,

I'm on the lookout, but I've been to 2 stores in the past 2 days and no more copies of the Poitier set. I'm going to try and hit 2 more before the weekend, so I'll let you know if I find anything.

LouR

Auditioning
Thanks much, but knowing Big Lots, it might be working it's way east....I'm going tomorrow, so you never know. But really thank you for checking....

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The SF/Fantasy challenge ended (106 films total for July) so I started watching the "Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" set I picked up. They are great! Funny, and for the most part uncut! Many include original commercials which are fun too. Video quality varies, but considering the age and *especially* the distributor (Mill Creek) it's not too suprising. So far all are very watchable with only a couple being a bit washed out looking (I've watch 2 disks, 16 eps. so far). The words "Mill Creek" are supered as a "bug" during random episodes but it's not very obtrusive and I truly don't notice (which is odd as I *HATE* "bugs" on any programming) too much. Maybe it's because I'm enjoying the episodes too much to notice this. The 2 disks I've watched so far are also part of the $5 MC set that's been at BL lately. Highly recommended if you're a fan of classic TV and/or sitcoms.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
There's something very pleasant about Ozzy & Harriet. ...just being themselves. it comes off very genuine. The one about Ozzy buying a new pair of shoes was very clever. That's my favorite so far.

I've yet to pick up that set myself. I just bought a motorcycle so suddenly I have to be more selective. But when I'm done with the eps on the TV Guide Sets I'll snap that 100 MC set up!

I wish they'd think to leave more of the commercials in these things. It's fun on the game shows too. I'd always wished I could watch a show every now and then that would look just like it once did, with commericals, station ID, little funky local things...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The weekly ad that starts tomorrow is promising "new titles" at $5. We'll see. My store still has a ton of discs on display. Not sure how they can put out more.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Went early this afternoon. Did not see any "new" $5 titles but there *were* quite a few new-to-here $3 titles!

I picked up:

4 for Texas (slashed)
The Ice Pirates (slashed)
Soylent Green (unslashed)
Strangers on a Train - 2 Disk SE (slashed)

all were $3/ea.

I also saw in restock several unslashed copies of "Twilight Zone: The Movie" which irritated me as the copy I picked up a couple of weeks ago is slashed... It's already been opened/watched otherwise it'd go back.

Also saw a couple of Elvis titles: "Jailhouse Rock", and "Girl Happy". May go back for them... especially "Jailhouse Rock" which is one of his better films. Of course, "Girl Happy" has the lucious Shelley Fabares so I guess it's probably a must get as well...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saw The Last Starfighter DVD in Walmart's $5 bin yesterday. I plan to get the Blu Ray. Walmart also has $17 2 season sets of Little House on the Prairie, from season 1 to 6. I already have up to season 5. I need to check to see if the single sets are cheaper now... that would be nice. ..looked at amazon.com and they aren't really down there. I guess I'll double dip on season 5 to get 6 at $17.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Went back to BL and picked up "GIrl Happy" and "Jailhouse Rock"... while there found "Spinout" (also w/Shelley Fabares) and "Speedway". You guessed it... got those 2 as well. Also found an unslashed "Strangers on a Train" 2-disk SE! Snagged it and will return the "slashed" one. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Went again yesterday. There was a small selection of new stock (3x3 topper) with *some* being re-stock or older titles (from a year ago or longer) that've made it back. There were 3 or more copies of all titles listed. Here're a few of the "new" titles I saw ($3/each):

7th Voyage of Sinbad (Harryhausen)
Look Who's Talking
DC Comics Batman Vol 2 (also a 2nd title in this series - don't remember which - this is the newer anime style Batman... not "Batman the Animated Series")
Men In Black: Deluxe Edition (2 disks with slipcase)
THX1138 (single disk Director's cut)
Dogma SE 2 disk (also with slipcase - not slashed)
It Happened at the World's Fair (Elvis)
Charro (Elvis)
Casablanca (newer version in std. amaray case)
The Producers (2006 - WS)
Kramer vs Kramer
Dennis The Mennace (WS)
Rebel Without a Cause (Two-Disc SE)

Some slashed, some not.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm starting to have withdrawal pangs... there's been *no* "new" stock at the local BL for over a week! I'm finding myself considering titles I'd otherwise not purchse just to leave the store with a DVD!

But... Rumor has it the Labor Day ad shows new stock and the $5 titles being on sale for $4 (I think it's a 5/$20 sale on them) so there's *some* hope... :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I stopped at BL the other night and walked out without anything, too.

I got a temporary fix yesterday by visiting the local Blockbuster which is running a 5 for $20 on some of their pre-viewed DVD's (3 for $20 on newer titles).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't follow this thread daily and maybe it's been discussed before, but I was in a BL yesterday and saw quite a few dvd's shrink-wrapped together as a threesome with a $3 price tag on them. That's a buck a piece. Most titles I'd never heard of before but there were some notables in them. One that caught my eye had the first season of Dinner For Five sandwiched between two other things. I've always liked that series. Might have to go back and get it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^They've been around since mid-late May or so (store depending). Several of us picked up a a few of them a while back. If you read back a few pages you'll see what we've seen/purchased in the 3-packs along with many other good titles that've shown up over the past few months. Might give you some ideas for stuff to seek or just leave you frustrated 'cause your store doesn't have them. There's another forum in which I participate where people are reporting small restocks of titles that originally appeared over a year ago.

On those 3-packs, be sure to check the titles carefully. Many sets have "PTU:Police Tactical Unit" (Dragon Dynasty) as the middle title and lots of other randomized groupings. Some titles are packaged as many as 5 different ways. It pays to look over them all to get the best set of titles you would like to own.

I sort of ended the "drought" yesterday. I exchanged a slashed copy of the 2-disk "Strangers on a Train" for "Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol". I'd managed to pick up a non-slashed copy of "Strangers" a few weeks ago and have been waiting on anything I'd remotely like to own to do an exchange. Since I'd picked up the PA2/PA3 "set" at BL a few weeks ago it seemed good to complete the only parts of the series remotely worth owning.

And my advance copy of the ad appeared today. The $5 DVDs will be 3/$12 Sunday and Monday (2 day Labor Day sale). It's a shame there's nothing in that current grouping I'd like to own. The ad doesn't show anything that's already been seen/reported.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, mine finally got some new stuff.

$6
WB Horror double feature: IT (Roddy McDowall) & The Shutter Room. I've never heard of either.
Village of the Damned & Children of the Damned. Woo hoo!
Psycho 2, 3, 4. BOught just for 4, already have the others.

$3
7th Voyage of Sinbad
King of Kong
Shorts. From the same director as Spy Kids. Looked a little Zathura-ish.
Jabberwocky. Already have it but it's a fave so I got a back up copy.

They had just 1 of the Poitier set. But I didn't buy. Plus a lot more 2 and 3 movies sets for $6 that I wasn't interested in. Gothika/Queen of the Damned and My Dog Skip/Shiloh 1 are the only ones I can remember. Was in too big a hurry to write down any more.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Originally Posted by Radioman970
WB Horror double feature: IT (Roddy McDowall) & The Shutter Room. I've never heard of either.

I picked up that one tonight. I saw it a while back, but passed on it as I had so many other titles I was buying at the time.

My BL had out a new display of $3 titles, though nothing really too exciting. A few I picked up:

Diabolique (1996)
The Stepford Wives (Collectors Edition - 2004)
THX 1138 (2-disc Director's Cut)

Never had much interest in THX 1138, but for $3, why not? Also saw the 2-disc "East of Eden"

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I picked up that one tonight. I saw it a while back, but passed on it as I had so many other titles I was buying at the time.

My BL had out a new display of $3 titles, though nothing really too exciting. A few I picked up:

Diabolique (1996)
The Stepford Wives (Collectors Edition - 2004)
THX 1138 (2-disc Director's Cut)

Never had much interest in THX 1138, but for $3, why not? Also saw the 2-disc "East of Eden"
Watched THX 1138 months back (after having not seen it in a while) and felt it was excellent. I don't think you'll ponder over it being a DVD instead of a Bluray, the film looked fantastic to me.

I looked up pictures of IT...and "IT" is some kind of kooky looking monster. REally, I can't wait to sit down and see what it's all about. I have a vague memory of that weird looking monster...I just know I watched it years ago and forgot it immediately.

I didn't much like Stepford Wives for some reason.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
considering that George has been screwing around with THX 1138, that DVD set might turn out to be a collector's item someday

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Some quick comments about BL purchases:

SHORTS. From the guy behind the Spy Kids films, of which I'm a huge fan. This is not as good but still has its moments. SHORT is just that, a very short and wacky stories strung together and most involve a magic stone called "the Wishing Rock" (I'd like one of those). The child actors are mostly pretty good. The visuals are very good, funny and overall appealing to watch. Can't say I won't watch this again in the future...certainly will. Just won't look as much forward to it as I do the Spy Kids stuff. Happy with purchase. The film has an excellent transfer.

The KING of KONG. This was a documentary about the apparent insane quest for having the highest score on the arcade console version of Donkey Kong...set in 1982? Nope! Set in the 2000s!!! Yep! It took a bit for me to truly get into it but once I did I really caught on to what it was doing and will join the masses from Rottentomatoes.com who say it's a very good flick. Now, with that said I'll add that there's a bit of disappointment from my perspective involving not enough nostalgia. There is some flashback stuff involving the people involved in the modern quest for high scores but there's not enough of that to warrant this as a look back at early arcade gaming as I'd liked. I wouldn't mind having some old archival footage of video arcades, gameplay, etc and doing a production job on this to make it more nostalgic. But this is just a personal preference and what is here is a great watch. I welcome more docu like this one.

STEAMBOY. Starts like an epic anime, but soon gets a little tedious before finally getting better. That's just from my perspective. The animation is always first rate though...but often I'm wondering why some of the charactrers, particularly that grandfather character with the crazy hair, is yelling so much. hehe But it's good. The transfer is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks