What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Big Lots has received a big shipment of titles, mainly MGM, all for only $3. Too many titles to list, but most are from the 2001-2006 era.
Supposedly, some stores have Warner 2 DVD sets (like EAST OF EDEN and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE). I don't know if these are Black Friday specials, but I haven't seen them yet at two stores.
They also had two Woody Allen box sets for $13 and $16.
If you have a Big Lots near you, it might be worth looking for.
EDIT: I just noticed there was an older thread of this posted on 10-29. Feel free to delete.

olaf675

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I got the 2-disc versions of 'The Philadelphia Story' (1940) and 'The Band Wagon' (1953) for $3 each. There was a 'cut-out' saw mark on each of the UPC codes/Proof of Purchase though that went through the clear plastic, but not the black.
I'll have to go back and see what other old MGM and Warner Brothers 2-disc sets they have at that price!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I picked up Killer Klowns From Outer Space, 8 Heads In A Duffel Bag, Curse Of The Pink Panther and The Outer Limits-Time Travel & Infinity (6 episodes). Not bad for $11.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've been tempted to snag those Allen sets (happy birhtday to woody, btw)
I picked these up...
Alien from LA
Gattaca SE
The Hound of the Baskervilles (Cook/Moore comedy)
Heavy Traffic
Others I saw:
The Apartment
A Bridge Too Far
Amityville Horror (original)
A couple of fantasy films I can't remember the name of...same collection as jason & the Argonauts (but didn't see Jason). Mysterious Island maybe? the Magic Sword?
Son of Pink Panther
The Little Girl who Lived Down the Lane

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
You really can't beat it- they had a ton more movies when I went in the other day.
I got the Superbit version of Adaptation for my niece and the 2-disc LOTR:Return of the King for my nephew------$3 each.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saw Adaption too. Nearly bought it.
Magic Sword & Mysterious Island were the 2 I was trying to think of. I'm wondering if they are worth picking up. They also had a Sinbad movie with Lou Ferigo. Wasn't sure about it.
Here's what I picked up:
Capote/In Cold Blood. Double movie set. $3. (you read that right, $3)
GiGi
Cooley High
American Splender
A Bridge Too Far
THX1138 Director's Cut
Very happy! :D

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I just got a Big Lots flyer in the mail, and they have James Bond DVDs for $4 each now (the Special Editions).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I forgot my Big Lots had those Bonds too. I was wondering if it's a good deal to buy them that way. The multisets might be better..."?
About $90 from Big Lots.
Seems like the 4 sets are $25 each at amazon.com right now.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
As for the Bond, I believe those are the old transfers, and single discs. The box sets are restored and have a disc of extras each. I'd hold off and buy the sets, if you care about getting all the films. EDIT: I just checked the flyer, are they the newest versions or the secondary special edition release?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Jon Martin said:
As for the Bond, I believe those are the old transfers, and single discs. The box sets are restored and have a disc of extras each. I'd hold off and buy the sets, if you care about getting all the films. EDIT: I just checked the flyer, are they the newest versions or the secondary special edition release?
Just looking at the flyer, they appear to be the first DVD releases (the Special Editions) NOT the 'ultimate edition' DVDs that came out a couple of years ago (in both 1-disc and 2-disc versions).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yep. I noticed the THX1138 has 1998 on the back. But I think it's just the single DVD release from 2004.
htf_imgcache_36919.jpeg

Glad to hear that about the Bond films. That was bothering me. I really want those. But I'll sure go with the box sets.
Watched American Splendor last night. It was excellent! I wish I had the DVD of the documentary Crumb. But this was better than Crumb, which leaves me a little depressed for some reason.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
MielR said:
Just looking at the flyer, they appear to be the first DVD releases (the Special Editions) NOT the 'ultimate edition' DVDs that came out a couple of years ago (in both 1-disc and 2-disc versions).
Yep, checked the dates on the cases when I was there yesterday. They're the versions first released in 2000.
Definitely not that great a deal when you can buy the remastered Ultimate sets with 2-discs for each film for the same price (via the Amazon.com deal described in the BF "what did you get" thread). But not bad if you only want a couple of them.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Back in Big Lots today to pick up those 2 Woody sets. I'm a happy guy! Anybodies Big Lot carrying the one with Annie Hall, Sleeper, etc? Man, I'd love that one at this price.
Noticed my Big Lots was nearly sold out of the 007s. And I was thinking everybody in my little town frequents this forum!!! :laugh:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I picked up The Passenger starring Jack Nicholson. Very good film from the 70's. That is if your into introspective character studies. Also The Rachel Papers with one of my favorite actresses Ione Skye. Haven't watched it yet though.
And topped it off with Capote, and Sylvia.
Loved Capote, but I just wasn't getting a good vibe from Sylvia so I stopped watching it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
Did you get the version that included "In Cold Blood"? I thought that movie looked terrific. And an amazing deal at $3 for both.
I wish. My Big Lots only had the single Capote on dvd. Big Lots is my favorite store. Where else can you find a jumbo box of cereal(Cinnamon Toast Crunch) for $2, and a stack of movies for under $20?
James, sorry about your dog:frowning:. My dog is 12, and lately she's having trouble just walking. I love dogs, but I hate the late stages of their life cycle.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bryan^H said:
James, sorry about your dog:frowning:. My dog is 12, and lately she's having trouble just walking. I love dogs, but I hate the late stages of their life cycle.
Thank you. :frowning: She crosses my mind daily. That cancer was horrible. I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with that, dog or human family member.
My old dog Bear (Goldie's mother, actually) was about 12 when she began to have problems walking. She lived to be almost 16. Normal life span for her type was more like 13. She did real good! I think I worried about her dying from age 11 up to when she went.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So what's the odds of Big Lots still having swag? I might stop off on the way home and see if the closest one has some still - but since the thread is a month old (give or take), I dont want to waste my time.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Big Lots has had a $3 bin for at least a couple of months, probably longer. Occasionally they advertise new titles but mostly they just randomly throw things in the bin. In my stores, I've yet to see things like the Bond movies. Either they didn't stock them or they sold before I got there.

It's a real hit-or-miss but I stop by every couple of weeks just to see what's there.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I went to a Big Lots this afternoon and they still had plenty of titles.
I read elsewhere they just got a big shipment of Lions Gate titles, but I didn't see it at my store. Hundreds of different MGM, HBO, and Warner though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks