Better Marketing for Super Audio on Dylan and DSOTM

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,

I have noticed an encouraging trend for Super Audio - major print ads to advertise the new Dylan series and Dark Side of The Moon.

Observation #1
    Home theater magazines are running a full page Capitol Records ad discussing the advantages of Super Audio and Dark Side's availability. Capitol has some great catalog titles so I am wondering if they are planning more releases soon.

Observation #2
    The Wall Street Journal and Stereophile (October) both ran full page Dylan ads with a retailer featured in the lower right corner and specific mention of Super Audio. The Journal had Best Buy's logo and Stereophile had Borders' logo.

This is a step up in marketing commitment. I suppose it is possible that Sony did some common "cooperative adverts" with a series of retailers. It is also interesting since it shows a stepped up commitment to Super Audio from Borders which has been lackluster in the past.

Also, here is some info on the remastering of the Dylan series from HFR:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=10380631

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Blender magazine (music and pop culture mag published by Maxim) had a two-page thingy on the new Dylans. They mentioned the SACD, but focused on the music itself and referred to it more as a "remastering." I actually think that's better than focusing on the SACD aspect of it because it doesn't scare people into assuming that they won't be able to play it on their systems.

I think major pop and rock SACD hybrids need to be marketed as remasters that also happen to have an extra even-better sounding version on the CD that can be played on certain players, not as a new format "but don't worry, you can still use a regular CD player."

Michael Broadman: marketing genius.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

This week's Rolling Stone has a one-page ad for the Dark Side of the Moon hybrid. Ultimately, I don't see it as a marketing coup of any kind, because it's going to appeal first and foremost to folks who are interested in that album. Since RS has now become Son-of-Maxxim, I'm guessing that a large bulk of folks looking at the mag aren't going to see the ad and think, "wow, this SA-CD stuff sounds cool." If they're going to react at all, it's because it's an ad for a Floyd album.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I too saw the Capitol ad and thought that it was great to see some support behind SACD. Not only did it announce the release, but it also gave some background on the format as far as what type of hardware you need to play it.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike,

Excellent points. Everyone has CD players, so play up that aspect. Then tantalize them with the option of better sound in stereo or surround.

Lee,

This is indeed very good news. Things certainly are picking up for hi-rez. I think SACD is making strides, at least by expanding the catalog with significant titles. Whether or not this is making a difference in the marketplace, I have no idea. The ads could help.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks, Keith. As I said- Mike Broadman: marketing genius.

So here's my ad idea: a big ol' picture of yours truly with wide grin and classic thumbs up pose holding up a copy of the San Francisco Symphony's SACD of Mahler's 6th symphony. I dare any consumer to resist that.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Is better marketing going to make more than a marginal difference? IMO, proably not???

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Lately I've been seeing a ton of SACD ads in the enthusiast magazines (Stereophile, Sound & Vision, etc).

It would surprise me if Sony's funding (same ad style, different label and featured disc), but the fact remains someone is pushing SACD. I think it was SGHT that had no less than 4 SACD ads (Dylan, Norah Jones, etc.)

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

One of the full page ads featured Steely Dan's Gaucho.

14. Michael St. Clair

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

16. Michael St. Clair

17. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Egads.... mareketing drivel alert:

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Lee & John, I'm stille available to referee ya'all's Texas Tornado Death Match![​IMG]

19. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I bought the DSOTM SACD 2 weeks ago knowing that right now I would not be able to listen to the Hi-Res tracks with my existing equipment.

I thought for sure the regular cd layer would have at least sounded better than the original I bought 10 years ago...(as in remastered, considering the amount of work involed in authoring the hi-res tracks)

Lunch bag letdown. No difference. Even with a digital connection.

If there had been an improvement (even slight), I may have considered getting a SACD/DVD-A player.

The price I paid for the SACD was less than I paid for the Redbook, but an improved cd layer on the SACD would have been a nice 'tease' to upgrade to Hi-Res.

I guess I'll put my SACD up on the shelf beside my quad LP of DSOTM.

20. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Phil,

In the spirit of Pink Floyd.....

Welcome to the Compression [​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist that. It's been demonstrated that the CD layer has had substantial compression applied which severely limits the fidelity.

Regards,