What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Ok I am looking to possible make an upgrade to my current Kenwood HTB-505 setup. Everything is very nice I would just like to go a little higher quality. Which would be the best to do?

-Replace A/V receiver
-New Sub
-New center
-New fronts
-New rears

I am in a dorm room so I really am looking for better quality and possibly slightly larger speakers but still fairly compact. I say a Sony WM500 12" sub for $200....is this any good? If not, what would be a good sub for a not too expensive price. $300 max for whatever I replace

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I find that Sony sub respectable for HT, but for music, not so good at all...

I do think that would be your most prudent upgrade though.....

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Well right now I have a 8 inch powered Kenwood 100 watt sub...I figure it would be an improvement no? Anyway keep the suggestions coming

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, the Sony for HT use will thrash the little Kenwood, I have no doubt.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
If it's the same sub that was in the 503 it is a nice little sub.

I'd consider getting front and center channels replaced first. Even move the fronts to the rear and you're ready for 6.1

Brent

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I had the HTB-506 sub and I thought it was pretty good - a little boomy, but if you position it with the front firing into a corner, i.e. the derriere facing the listening position, you can "feel" the bass better. It has a little more power than the one that was included in the HTB-505 (150 watts vs 100 watts) but I don't think that makes such a difference.

If you do plan to upgrade the sub, I recommend you trash the Sony idea and go with the 10" Dayton from PartsExpress. It has good reviews on this forum, excellent bang-for-the-buck, and there was a comparo of it with the Sony here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=180352

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks