What's new

Best Speakers for my Money (1 Viewer)

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
I am in the process of upgrading my home theater. The next thing i need to do is buy two front floorstanding or bookshelf speakers (pref. floorstanding) , and a center channel speaker. My budget is @ $900. I have an onkyo 7.1 reciever with 110 watts per channel. What speakers are going to give me the best result for my buck. Thank you all in advance

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Scotty, is this for HT only, or do you plan to use the same system for music listening? If so, how important is the music sound quality to you?

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
From all I've read about them, I'll ditto the Ascend 340SE suggestion. They're at the top of my audition list for my next speaker upgrade.

Tim

Alan M

Second Unit
I would think a lot would depend on your speaker tastes.Do you like bright,neutral,or warm speakers? Give us an idea of your speaker preferences,then we can better recommend speakers to suit your tastes.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

It's really not helpful to recommend something to someone that you have no experience with other than what other people have told you.

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
All I was saying is that I plan to audition them. It is a valid suggestion to do so.

Tim

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
wow!!! first I just want to say you guys all rock along with this website. I did not expect to get this much help and feedback. In response to a couple questions. How important is music? Not that important at all, for the most part I am basically just going to be watching DVD's and TV. As far as what type of sound I am looking for; bright, neutral, or warm? I think the one I want is bright. I just want real crisp highs and nice mids. Of course bass is important too but not as uch as having very crisp and sharp sound. Thanks again to all

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Have you looked at Klipsch (not a favorite of audiophiles, mostly good for movies exclusively)? An added plus with Klipsch is their efficiency they don't require as much power to achieve higher output as most other speakers, especially in this price range.

Seth=L

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Ascends would be a good choice in your price range. With the matching stands, they basically become floorstanders. They will cost you well below your budget and they are very good - just a bit on the bright side, IMO, so based on what you said, they should fit the bill.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"full range" would suggest speakers capable of at least mid 20s, and the more speakers you have playing that low means you will have a greater chance of cancellation in the bottom octaves.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I don't follow what you are saying here. Surround speakers need not to be large because of low end cancelation (decreased bass output), they don't really need to play low frequencies because bass from a subwoofer should be omnidirectional, and is less demanding on the receiver taking power away from the rest of the more demanding fronts and center. Full range surrounds are not necessarily bad in all situation but in this one smaller surrounds will be more fitting.

Seth=L

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

They're "unforgiving" in their presentation I guess is a better way to say that; and to me, they are just a touch on the bright side. Not Klipsh crispy, but not what I would quite call neutral and definitely not warm, so not sure where you are going with that.

It is well known that room modes happen in the lower octaves and having more speakers spread throughout the room playing those same frequencies can exaggerate or even cause additional modes. That's not to say it can't be done, however it isn't the ideal situation for everyone.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I second the Paradigm recommendation. The mini-monitors are a gem that paired with a Hsu or SVS sub will give you great HT results. I like Klipsch speakers too.

IMO, full range speakers all around is a great idea, but not necessary to get good results. I also like my surrounds to be positioned higher than floorstanders. Having the tweeter at ear level of surrounds isn't as critical as it is with front speakers.

To do HT right, again another opinion, you have to have a sub. Floorstanders in your price range really won't deliver the goods without a sub. The floorstanders that can deliver the bottom octaves as good as a sub are very, very expensive.

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
Allright so i think ive almost made up my mind. I think im going to go with either the Klipsch Synergy F-3 Floor standing speakers and Klipsch synergy III C-3 center channel or Klipsch RF-3's or RF-5's Floorstands and Klipsch RC-35 Reference center channel. As far as "Full Range" speakers, Is that term just in reference to the sorrounds or would Full Range speakers be more like the ascends?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
"full range" has become a loosely used term. A Full-range loudspeaker drive unit is defined as an acoustic driver that attempts to reproduce as much of the audible frequency range possible. This means any given full range loudspeaker is supposed to able to reproduce almost or all of the human hearing frequency spectrum (about 20hz-20Khz). Granted there are many speakers that are classified as full range speakers that generally don't go much lower, before roll-off, 30-50hz. In certain configurations two identical or more soundwaves could cancel one another out to a degree, this can be very noticable with lower frequencies, thus decreasing your overall bass output.

It is my understanding by your thread start you have speakers you intend on using as surround and surround back speakers. If so what sort are they?

Seth=L

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
do you need a subwoofer with that? if you do, that really kills the budget because a sub alone is going to take half of your $900 budget.

i have B&W DM303's (i paid roughly $288 incl. tax a pair) as my mains. i highly recommend them, it's good bang for the buck. B&W has a really nice sound for me after auditioning Klipsch, Paradigm and DefTech's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks