What's new

What's the Best Slim Center Channel Speaker and Best Well Priced Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

TechNerd

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
Hi, I'm looking for a center channel speaker (something not too expensive). I have tried looking, but all the ones that I've found are super tall (4-5 inches) I want the speaker to fit under my tv. So a speaker that's about 3" tall. I'm "not" looking for a soundbar, I'd like this to be a center channel speaker so that I can hook it up to my receiver.
Lastly what subwoofer would you recommend? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a subwoofer, but I also don't want to spend not enough money and get something crappy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can probably get a tv stand that will raise the TV, so you can use a decent speaker. I’m not aware of any speakers that are 3” tall. I did that with one TV. Stand was less than $20.

If you could be specific in budget for a sub, it would help a lot.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Alternatively, maybe just get better front LR speakers and go w/ phantom center, ie. mixed into the front LRs by your AVR, if your TV isn't quite that big (to keep those far apart) and your existing ones don't do well enough for clear dialog -- also might depend on the quality of your AVR I suppose.

And if phantom center is actually fine enough w/ your current gear, you might be better off spending that $ saved on a better subwoofer instead. Actually, upgrading the subwoofer first (or maybe getting one at all in your case) might even help alleviate whatever you find a bit lacking w/ the phantom center config in your existing gear...

_Man_

TechNerd

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
You can probably get a tv stand that will raise the TV, so you can use a decent speaker. I’m not aware of any speakers that are 3” tall. I did that with one TV. Stand was less than $20.

If you could be specific in budget for a sub, it would help a lot.
150-200 would be my pricing for a sub

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BIC F-12 or Dayton 1200 and 1500 are the ones to choose from in that range.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don’t know of any. The Dayton 1200 is usually $180.

YANG

Supporting Actor
SLIM Center Speaker will have SMALL Drivers.
Looking for 3inch high center speaker, means you'll have drivers that are sized 2inch and below... which will have very limited performance and durability when demanding sound signals is fed in.

Good sounding one will typically be sized 3.5inch and above on the drivers. With better material, driver lasts longer. So... it's either OP raise the screen setup by hanging up onto the wall, or... raise the screen by placing supports to the stands of the TV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If your display is sitting on the top of a stand / shelf, something like this would work to raise the display, as well as offer better stability than the feet that typically come with a TV. I bought one for the 70-inch 4K display in the main home theater in our family room, and it works great. My purpose was better stability, but it's also height-adjustable.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the TV has a vesa mount, there are lots of cheap stands that can raise it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If the TV has a vesa mount, there are lots of cheap stands that can raise it.
The stand I provided a link to is for a VESA mount, and that product page also has links to many other VESA-mount stand options in all price ranges. There should be something there that fits the OP's needs and budget.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The stand I provided a link to is for a VESA mount, and that product page also has links to many other VESA-mount stand options in all price ranges. There should be something there that fits the OP's needs and budget.
We're saying the same thing. I just thought that particular one might be more than the OP wants to spend. You're right, depending on the size of the TV, there are options down to about $20.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So how big is the TV anyway? And how big is your space and how far will you be from the TV? And is it mainly just for 1, maybe 2 viewers at a time?

Given what sounds like very limited budget for this endeavor, kinda doubt it's worthwhile going thru all the trouble to add a center speaker (that might not be well matched to existing front LRs either)...

Do you also already have surround speakers? There's no mention of that. IF not, you could well be better off getting some inexpensive surrounds plus a decent subwoofer and then maybe figure out the center channel later. Again, it's quite possible you might find adding those may help substantially address what's currently lacking w/out a center speaker...

_Man_

YANG

Supporting Actor
If i'm living alone, i might get that, raise up the screen to chuck in a heavy center spkr as a weight for stability. However, if there are kids running around in the house/apartment, i will be concerned about weight distribution and how stable the VESA legs can expand to accommodate the weight of a big screen that may weigh more than 33kgs for 70inch and above... Safety will be a key issue to tackle.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If i'm living alone, i might get that, raise up the screen to chuck in a heavy center spkr as a weight for stability. However, if there are kids running around in the house/apartment, i will be concerned about weight distribution and how stable the VESA legs can expand to accommodate the weight of a big screen that may weigh more than 33kgs for 70inch and above... Safety will be a key issue to tackle.

I just checked his prior postings and found he has a new Hisense 65", so probably not quite that heavy -- most likely a bit under 20kg unless he spent significantly over $1K on their U8G series (is there anything higher?), which would still only be ~24kg.

Still, not sure it's all that advisable though...

OTOH, hanging the display on the wall, if he can, might add a different issue to the equation -- it'll probably place it at least another foot, maybe more, away from the viewers (from how he has it now)... and 65" isn't *that* big...

Might possibly be better to hang the center speaker (on the wall) above the display aimed somewhat downward toward the viewers instead if the display isn't far from that wall -- presumably, he's not going for a hefty-ish center speaker that would make that unfeasible.

BUT I still suspect he may simply be better off going w/out a center channel for now and save the $ for a better subwoofer and/or front LRs instead, especially if viewing distance is more typical (like over 10ft) and he intends to flank the TV very closely w/ the front LRs instead of spacing them out more... and then, if he really finds the need later, then make the effort (and cost) for a well-matched center speaker (and he could probably save a bit more $ toward that by then)...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The VESA-compatible feet I provided a link for create a very stable platform for my 70-inch display -- certainly much better than the original tiny triangle feet that went on the ends of the display. Our display is located in the family room where there is no wall to mount a display -- that end of the room is open to the kitchen. Before buying these feet, I was always nervous when we had the grand nieces & nephews over before running around the family room.. Heck, I was always a little apprehensive with just my wife and I there, as it wouldn't be too difficult for one of us to accidentally bump the display walking into the room.

Boss Hogg

Grip
Real Name
John
Polk makes a center channel speaker number S35 that is only 4" tall...has six drivers and a tweeter...I had one and sent it back because the Klipsch I bought sounded better to my old ears...lol. The Klipsch is about 7" and very large footprint. You might like the Polk...on sale for about $250.00 sometimes...Best Buy will take it back if you don't care for it. Klipsch also has a 12" subwoofer for a little over $150.00 when on sale. I have never tried one, but somebody on the forum might have.
Good Luck on your search...stay safe and healthy.

YANG

Supporting Actor
Polk makes a center channel speaker number S35 that is only 4" tall...has six drivers and a tweeter....
According to official website specification... the cabinet is more than 4inch high... with 6x drivers for he mids and bass.
No doubt it'll sound nice, but OP is looking for something much more slimmer like a soundbar type of height, yet sounds as good as regular center speaker... which is imo impossible as any drivers sized less than 3inch will have it's limitation on delivering smooth sounding sonics such as mids and especially lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Software Testing Training
Recent bookmarks