Best RPTV for $3500?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don S, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Don S

Don S Stunt Coordinator

I've been away from the forum for a while. But I always know where to come for help! My dad will be moving in a few months and wants a HDTV-ready widescreen RPTV. His budget is approximately $3500. It will be in a 14 x 16 room, with an approximately 12 foot viewing distance, so larger is better obviously.

I've done a few searches, but can't seem to get all the information I need in one spot.

He has a pretty nice audio setup (Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX receiver, NHT sub 2, NHT fronts and surrounds), and is looking for the best RPTV he can get for around this price. He will be purchasing a Prog Scan DVD player at some point, but for now he wants to concentrate on the TV.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. George Carlisle

Check out hometheaterspot.com for brand-by-brand dialog. IMHO for that $, get the Pioneer non-Elite (Home Series). If you shop hard enough and want biggest you can get the 643HD5 for $3500 and the 533HD5 for $2700 (I did) or less if you purchase online. But all brands have supporters/detractors. I compared the Toshiba HX series and Sony HW before deciding on Pioneer. Cost no object? Get a Pioneer Elite.