What's new

Need a push (1 Viewer)

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still on the fence on FP vs. RPTV. I've been reading great things about FP here and at other forums.
I've read the pros and cons on both video types. Still I'm leaning towards RPTV.
My location for viewing FP is somewhat irregular, i.e., 16'x13', low ceiling (6'4"), and an obstacle (air duct about 10-12 feet from the proposed screen location). The viewing area as for removing outside lighting is great, since the location is my basement.
And lastly, I'm not sure I can get used to viewing TV in darkness. My viewing habits are probably 4-5 hours of daily TV viewing, and more on the weekends. With that type of daily viewing I'll be changing the bulb on an FP twice a year!! That's another con that I see with having FP.
And then there is my uncertainty as to which projector will be the best for my environment. Everyone here has so many opinions, pro & con, regarding each and every projector. That makes a newby like me confused .
So help me here folks and tell me what I should do. Stay with RPTV or try FP??
My budget is $3500 to maybe $5000.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Personally I think watching standard definition TV with a projector is a waste of the lamp. Even with HD I would be selective about what I watch with the projector. That said, a fair number of people have a standard TV for casual viewing and then a pulldown screen that lowers in front of it for the times they want to use the projector.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Why not spend 1k on a 35" or so CRT TV and then the remainder on a decent FP?

SimiA

Second Unit
I rarely use my FP for TV viewing, unless it's HD, and that's with a scaler.
The signal you'll receive, whether it's from cable or sat, will look less than good on an FP, unless you have a scaler, and are willing to have a piture that is no more than 60".
On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of RPTV's because their image, to me, is too 2D.
For my regular Tv viewing, I prefer plasma. Much more 3d like.
I have 2 panny ED panels, and when I feed them an HD signal, at the distance I watch them, I can't tell the difference between an HD & ED pannel.
YMMV
Cheers,Vb

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, I did some searches, and just now realized...

All the truly collosal CRT RPTV's, are no longer being made whatsoever....

So what is the largest CRT RPTV being produced these days?
I'd a thought he could of got into one of those if available on his budget.

Interesting.....

The other largest offerings, I found searching were out of his price range. LCOS ect..ect..

SimiA

Second Unit
The reason they're not be made that large anymore, CRT RPTV's are becoming obsolete.
You should be able to find a 55" to 60", but why would you want to??
Vb

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is still my large prefered technology for all sources combined. I can bag on any techology really.

Will that trend continue down then out completely? If so I am glad I got my 60" when I did. Those that prefer the technology and purchsed 70"+'rs, better cherish each and every minute with them I guess. I know if there comes a day, a 60" isn't even available, I will cherish mine all the more for sure.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so I did some more poke'n around...

If you think CRT RPTV is what you may want, then you better quickly order a Mitsu 73" WS-73513 from some of the very few remaining sources for them, right inline with your budget.

The 70" LCD RP Sony can be had for just a little over your budget.

I think your room is going to be very tough on an FP setup myself.

I will let the FP guys take it from here.

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks much to everyone for their advise.
As for the CRT RPTV, they are just too large and bulky to get down the stairs to my basement. The LCD RPTV, like the Hitachi 60v500, is much thinner and not boxey and is more suited for the type of RPTV that I was looking to get.
Still, after reading posts here and at avsforum.com I just felt that I could possible get FP in my basement. A drawback to FP is that SD TV viewing does not provide good, clear images.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Tony:

I would give a look at the Infocus 4805 combos that TV Authority is running. This projector has been made with the idea of SDTV in mind. You can get it and a 92 inch screen for $1,500. If you decided that this FPTV isn't going to cut it in your HT for SD then you aren't out that much and you can add an RPTV or CRT later for SD viewing.

It is my understanding that SDTV on this projector combo looks really good even from a cable source.

This is the combo I would get but I don't have the realestate to have a FPTV in my house.

Parker

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I've been told that I may require a projector that has the lens shift adjustment. I see few projectors that have this option in my price range. I'd like to know what the SD viewing is like though.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
I personally have the Sony VPLHS20 and watch it often. I watch if for HD signals, movies, and even SDTV. I will say that SD does not look good and that is expected because of all of the flaws in SD and in that it is being projected on a 92" surface. I have come to live with it and enjoy it though. While it's not great I can still handle it and if need be I have enough SDTV's to watch here. Maybe you should try out that 4805. That's even something I'm glad to hear as I'm looking to buy my father one and I was sceptical because of the SD quality. But if that 4805 is said to look good then I'd say give it a shot, if you don't like it, send it back and go for something else. I do love the LCD and DLP RPTV's but I'm very glad I have the size of a FP.

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steven_Jobe for your inputs. Again, I was told that I should get a FP with "lens shift" available. I'm doing research on those types of FPs now. One that has my attention is the Studio Exp. Matinee 2HD. Anyone have any thoughts on this one or other FPs with the "lens shift" availability?
I'm so grateful for the advise that I've been given already!!!
I just don't want the dreaded "buyer's remorse" if I get a 60" RPTV. I have a 32" Hitachi HD TV already, so going only slightly larger to a 50" will not satisfy me at this point. I prefer 60" or to go with the more expansive front projection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks