What's new

KDF-E42A10 Disappointment -- Viewing Angle Limitations (1 Viewer)

Brian-R

Auditioning
Hi All,

I'm writing this for a friend who isn't internet forum-savvy. I'm trying to help him with his recent purchase.

He recently purchased a Sony KDF-E42A10 LCD-based (720p native) RPTV. However, he's not at all happy with viewing angle constraints. It's in the bedroom and they're often attempting to watch it from various locations in the room.

It is currently on a stand/table that is 18" deep. So that is the depth restriction. Viewing distance will typically be 6-10' (they watch it while in bed, or at a desk, or even stretching on the floor, etc.). He feels that 42" looks good, but would be willing to go as small as 37". Budget is approximately $2500 maximum.

I suggested the Sony KDS-R50XBR1, but the $3500 was more than he wants to pay. To be honest, I've been a CRT loyalist (have a Sony KPS-53HS10 CRT-based RPTV), but I saw a KDS-R60XBR1 at Best Buy yesterday and was simply blown away by the CRT-like appearance! I may finally have to relent in my anti-LCD bias.

I also told him that he might as well look for a 1080i (or even 1080p) - native unit. Especially since his kids play PS2 on it sometimes and might some day upgrade to a 1080i/p-capable player. They also have HD via their cable company. Might as well future-proof things if it's affordable!

I feel like he would have been happy with his KDF-E42A10 if only its viewing angle (especially horizontal) were less restrictive. I'd love to hear any suggestions for solutions given all the contraints above. I plan on sending him a list of suggestions myself (with the caveat that he should check out viewing angles in a showroom). But any outside input would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Brian

Evan_B

Auditioning
I'm glad you posted this. I have also been looking at that particular Sony model KDFE42A10. It is true that with RP units viewing angles can be restrictive. One must take into account both horizontal and vertical viewing angles. It sounds like the vertical limitations are more severe and you almost have to be right at eye-level to capture the brightness.

Really, though, it sounds like this TV has great bang for the buck. There are some limitations but really great value for the price.

HD looks excellent on this unit but SD not so good I hear.

The SXRD (50'') has a tremendous picture but many are turned away by the price tag...although I recently found one on sale at a local store for $2900 (it was quarterly sale in which they do away with the mark-up).

Any other thoughts on the KDF-E42A10 or SXRD?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I look at the 42" Sony RPTV, and I was turned off by the viewing angle limitation, as well as it's (relatively speaking) poor blacks and contrast.

You might suggest he look into a 42" plasma.

Most RPTVs are going to have the viewing angle problem. Some will be better, some worse. Just the nature of the technology and how the screens are made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks