What's new

Best price for SACD players in Canada (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Noting that the US market is bearing the 'C222ES at $380, and the 'CE775 at < $200, I'm wondering what the best price available for getting one of these players in Canada would be. Warrantee must be preserved.

Sony'll sell these from their online store with prices of $1199.99 for the 222, and $499.99 for the 775. But compared to the US pricing, that's just ridiculous.

Regards,

Martin.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I am certainly no expert on the Canadian market, but I seem to recall that Future Shop has good prices. I believe Andrew Pratt noted a good price last week for the 'XE670 on Future Shop's web site. I know they also show the 'CE775 on the web site, but I don't think they show ES models. Isn't Future Shop like Best Buy or Circuit City, meaning that they have Sony's mass-market components, but not the ES components?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, $499 CAD comes out to $313.27 USD, which is high by US standards. I simply don't know if you will find SACD players as cheap in Canada. Hopefully some of your Canadian counterparts will chime in. Is buying from a US dealer an option for you? I don't know if J&R Music World ships to Canada. Would the shipping and customs fees make such a purchase cost-prohibitive?

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
keith,
The duties, boarder taxes, federal and provincial taxes, and shipping charges do a great job of making purchases from US sites even more expensive. And then there's the problem of a US only warrantee.. :frowning:
At this stage, I'm only toying with the idea of an SACD player. There isn't a huge selection of music to my liking available yet. I'm not a fan of buying music I wouldn't normally buy just to get more software in a format... But I would really like to know what my options are (or aren't) around here.
Martin.

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that Best Buy now owns future shop. I'm not sure what the prices on these units at The Sony Store are, maybe it's worth a look.

Buying from the United States can save you some money but first you need a huge discount. I've ordered a lot of cycling products from the US.

Using UPS will bring high brokerage fees, as much as $60 on a $250 item, then add duty and a long wait at the border.

So, you need to make sure it's a killer deal before you do it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I am not surprised by the fees that you would incur. As for warranty coverage, your concern is justified, at least with Sony. I forgot about that for a minute. I briefly toyed with the idea of ordering a Sony minidisc player from a web site in the UK, but I called Sony in the US first to find out whether the UK warranty would be honored here. Sony US told me no.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Nathan so far I've only seen the list prices on the SACD units but I'm sure if your futre shops are like ours its fairly easy to get them to come down in price. Take in a few print outs of the prices from the US esp best buy etc and start from there, I'd not be at all surprised to hear you getting a much better deal on it. I've managed some deals that are around cost plus 10 percent on some receivers etc there so they are willing to deal if you ask.

Unfortunately being in Whitehorse, Yukon there is no futureshop (or ES dealer) so I am wondering about Canadian Online dealers with the new list price.

Sony.ca is still $1200 CDN ($800 US) for the 222ES any other suggestions?

Nathan

I tried them (I bought my HK Reciever from them last year when I was in Ottawa on a work trip) but they don't carry ES. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Nathan

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
what about A&B sound? Is there one in edmonton that would ship to you? Not sure if I've ever seen Sony ES gear there but they do have the two non ES SACD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks