What's new

My This Place has Grown UP...My system grew up too... (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

First to the owner and mods, big congrats on what this site has become over the years...

I just finished some upgrades to my setup, and happened back here while checking out some info.

Thought it was time to check in and show how my system has evolved over the 8 years since I originally signed up here to learn..

Then: (1999)
Display: was so excited about my first rptv: The tosh 61h95, and surround sound based on a Technics reciever, Panny dvd rp31?, and a combo of infinity center channel, generic 10" sub, and some construction grade inwalls in my new house family room...

Now: I just replaced my first Front Projector (Hitachi PJ-TX100) with a very gently used Epson Pro Cinema 800 LCD unit. For sources I have an LG7832(Zenith DV318), and a new Toshiba 6980 that uses HDMI for video at 720P to the projector, and can play SACD multi-channel and DVD-Audio in addition to regular videos... I had to laugh when I bought the Toshiba for 79.00 on clear out and had to spend 69 bucks to get a new hdmi cable to hook it up to my projector. I also have HD Satellite, and XM satellite radio as sources.

For audio, I'm now using and enjoying a lightly used Parasound Halo C2 that I picked up late last year for 1800.00 as a pre-pro. It's mated to an Acurus A125x5 amp for powering all the 5 main channels. The amp in my venerable Klipsch KT-SW (THX cinema sub died a while back) and rather than repair I wired in my Denon POA 2800 amp. The 200 w into 8 ohm, and 350 w into 4 ohm give the sub more authority than the onboard plate amp ever had.

For speakers I've been using a pair of Klipsch La-Scala's as mains, and they work well with Klipsch THX KT-LCR speakers in center and surround positions.
I've experimented with 6.1 now that the parasound can provide the additional output, but haven't settled on speaker positions for the additional surrounds yet.

The projector shoots on a flat painted wall at one end of my 24 by 40 ft family room/dining room. Optimal image size is around 110" diagonal but it will go bigger in low light conditions for impact on movies if required.

For those interested I highly recommend the Epson projector if you can find one used like I did: $1600 may seem a bit much for the unit, but It comes with a bullet proof 3 year warranty in canada (I have 18 months remaining on my unit) has the best black levels I've ever experienced with LCD, and is factory ISF calibrated, and comes with a spare bulb.

This is a fabulous time to be in this hobby with the emergence of HD dvd playback. I'm probably going to hang tight for a bit and digest the most recent upgrades to my system before jumping into the HD-DVD pool. Like usual, we are behind up here in canada with title availability, at a reasonable price, and viable rental options for HD material.

With the upconverting DVD players, I'm very happy with the image quality of SD-DVD's.

Again, to the owners and mods, congrats... HTForum is now a repository of very valueable info for hobbyists and HT fanatics worldwide.

Lyle.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hey, Lyle!

Didn't see you a while. :)

Nice to see your setup has been groing as well.
If you have time for it: hang around here again!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks