What's new

Best Price for PVR 501 (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know of a better price for this receiver than Dish Depot's $279 trade-in? Although the comments on the technology are mixed, I don't think there's going to be a better alternative for DishTV use within the next few months.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Not many other sites even take trade-ins (although local dealers usually do, but they rarely match Internet prices).
And, there is not much margin on this receiver, because Dish is still subsidizing it, in order to get a bigger share in the "PVR" market.
If you price the 4900 receiver and then price a 40GB drive, you'll find that the total usually ends up being more than the 501 price.
Also, there is a software upgrade for the 501 that is currently in testing, and so should be available within a few weeks, which includes:
- 9 day Guide
- Guide Searchable for keywords, even during recording
- Guide downloaded to drive, so no more waiting for info
- increase to 50 timers

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Are you a new subscriber? Because they are giving good deals to new subscribers.
Being a loyal DishPlayer subscriber, I feel a bit put-out that they are not offering these good deals to existing customers. My wife has suggested I call the product manager for the 501 to complain. I may just do this.

No, not a new subscriber. Just about a year in. If this had been available then I would've gone ahead and upgraded my initial free deal. I really just want a DD-capable receiver and TIVO/PVR-like capability, it'd be nice to get it in a single box. I'll probably bite the bullet eventually. But the DishTV product seems good enough that they don't have to incentivize the consumer -- once there's initial buy-in, there's no going back to cable for me.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Being a loyal DishPlayer subscriber, I feel a bit put-out that they are not offering these good deals to existing customers.
Believe me, they get this feedback on a daily basis.
It's just that they are not making any money on equipment as it is. The incentives for new customers can be found in any subscription service, whether satellite, cellular, cable, DSL, whatever.
Also, please don't call the 501 Product Manager - he's basically a technical person and doesn't have any input on pricing. If you feel you want to talk to someone about it, talk to the Financial or Marketing people.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I got mine from DishDepot a couple of weeks ago for $299 (receiver only, no dish500) when they were running a promotional sale. The unit's packaging sort of looked like they are buying this receiver in bulk or maybe I got a refurb. The current DD price I believe is $319, still an excellent deal considering no PVR fees EVER.
There is absolutely no margin on these. The dealers are acting as headhunters and really only making money on new subscribers. I actually felt bad for these guys.
I am also a long time Dish customer and felt that after a few years that Dish should be a bit more proactive and offer more equipment promos to existing customers. The current customer promo is the free Dish500 upgrade and installation with a 1year commitment to AT150 and credit card autopay. I will most likely take advantage of this promo as I still have the old Dish300 and want 3 receiver capability and HD programming for the future. I was really considering switching to DTV and going with the UTV box but just the free install, $400 price and monthly PVR fee turned me off a bit.
Another nice dish promo for existing customers might be a $250 rebate on new hardware for a minimum programming commitment for 1 year. You have to figure the Dish500 upgrade w/ installation is at least that.
I like the PVR501 but it does seem a bit buggy. But that's another topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks