New pics, upgrades & a few reviews....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Thomas, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I think I’m finally finished with another round of upgrades! Check out my HT Pics link & let me know what you think!

Here are a few reviews of my latest upgrades:

Denon 3802: Upgraded from the 3300 to get PLII and rear-center surrounds. This is a great receiver with plenty of power. I’ve considered adding external amps, but don’t think I really need them! The rear-center surrounds are excellent & really help envelop you in sound.

Panasonic PD-91 DVD: Upgraded from a Pioneer DV-C302. Getting DVD-Audio was worth the purchase price alone! DVD-A makes you feel like the performers are in the same room. The Panasonic is a huge improvement over my Pioneer. A great feature is that all of the video outputs are active. With this, I have all my components switched through the Denon via S-Video, so it’s easy for my wife to operate. I also have the Panasonic hooked up via Liberty Component Cables directly to the tv to get the optimal picture. Since my tv doesn’t have memory settings for each input, I was able to adjust the color / tint on the S-Video input for all sources, then adjust the Panasonic for the Component input. One pet peeve…the IR Sensor is all the way on the left side of the player, which is a problem since the DVD player is in a cabinet.

Mission 773B Mains: I had a tough time finding these speakers, as the line has been discontinued. Changing from bookshelf speakers to floor standing speakers really helped with DVD-A music. These speakers provide a huge front soundstage & blend perfectly w/ the center. I now use my 771 bookshelf speakers as rear-center surrounds.

SVS 20-30CS-Ultra: I’ve had a Klipsch KSW12 and a HSU VTF2. I even had 2 HSU’s for a while. As others have said, the SVS is a huge improvement over them all. The HSU was no slouch & certainly filled the room with bass. The SVS, however, is much cleaner and tighter. I can now hear individual bass notes. I eq’d the sub with an ART 351 & just purchased a Behringer for even more detailed adjustments.

Dishnetwork PVR 501 Satellite Receiver: When I purchased a Tivo I thought it was the single best invention in home theater! The PVR501’s interface isn’t as good as the Tivo, but picture and sound quality are much better. Tivo occasionally recorded the wrong channel and degraded the picture quality a bit too much, but it’s very easy to use. I now have it hooked up in the kids playroom so they can record their own shows.

Home Theater Master MX-500 Remote Control: This thing is great! I played around with the Pronto emulator for a while, but ended up getting the HT Master SL-9000 two years ago. The 9000 is very limited compared to the MX-500. After setting it up, my wife, kids, babysitters, etc. didn’t even need instructions to operate the system. I use the hard buttons to operate most functions while new users rely on the LCD screen buttons. Example: my father in-law couldn’t remember the “select” command, so I quickly changed the command to “enter”. After the in-laws left (thank God), I switched the name back to “select”.

I hope my next upgrade will be a house w/ a basement!

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I must be kidding myself thinking my HT is ever set. I guess changing out gear is part of the fun! Over the last two days I've read a lot of posts & am now consider a few changes...

While the Ultra sub is excellent...I can get a 16-46+ and a Samson amp for similar money! I think I might be sending my Ultra back! The prospect of going lower w/ similar power is too enticing!

After reading about future dvd players that will offer DVD-A, SACD & Bass Management, I'm thinking of selling my Panasonic while I can still get top dollar for it & picking up a Toshiba 4700 for a year or so.

What do y'all think?

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Well done Gary!