What's new

Best MTM Kit? (1 Viewer)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Your questions are better suited for a direct email to Danny. That way it will be straight from the horses mouth.

Take care,

Ronnie

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Eric, drop Danny an e-mail or call him he is a really nice guy. He hosted the Texas DIY in Wichita Falls, Texas. I met him there, great and knowledgeable guy. You wouldn't go wrong with him.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

The new A/V-3's will be 8 ohm speakers and will be a transmission line design. I'm not totally sure if Danny is changing the A/V-1+'s over to 8 ohm speakers or not.

You could easily just buy A/V-1+ kits and build them as towers. Simply build the top section to specs and seal off the bottom section.

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
When I was checking ou the GR websight I noticed the new version AV-3 and I was wondering what the difference between it and the AV1+ is.
The current A/V-3 uses a pair of 16 ohm 6.5" woofers (an 8 ohm speaker) while the A/V-1+ uses two 8 ohm 5.25" woofer (4 ohm speaker).

The new version of the A/V-3 is set for release sometime in late spring and will use two 16 ohm versions of our M-130, 5.25" woofers.

The new A/V-3 has several pros and some cons when compared to the current version.

The current version is capable of playing down lower (-3db of 40Hz) and with the deeper enclosure (like the one use with our Paradox-3) it is capable of reaching a -3db of 35Hz.

The newer version will not play down as low, but in the transmission line enclosure it will have it should have very tight and very fast bass response with a -3db of 47Hz. It is also possible that the transmission line design could extend the -3db down point to around 42Hz.

The newer version needs less air space and has a 1" narrower front baffle. This could help the WAF a little.

The small floor standing, rear terminated transmission line design also means no extra money spent on stands

The newer version can also use the same front baffles and grills as the A/V-1+, and we already have these made with Neo magnets that are in stock and ready to use.

The new 16 ohm 5.25" woofers will also allow me to offer a 8 ohm, side laying MTM, fully shielded center channel, in a sealed enclosure.

I think the pros may outweigh the cons. 20Hz to 40Hz is what sub-woofers are for anyway.

With regards to what Dan said about the manufacturers I use:

Peerless of India has had great quality control in regards to consistency and performance.

They are just not as well known because they do not produce a bunch of drivers for the hobbyist market, and none of their drivers are distributed here in the US.

They do make a few stock drivers that have limited application, but I think more often than not they are used to provide a sample of their work.

I have them do some things for me that they don't normally do, like adding bumped back plates and vented poll pieces. Plus, our new woofers required a larger motor structure that had to be custom built as well. The end result is excellent.

TB is just now making a name for themselves. I started using them about 6 years ago. At that time they had great capabilities just no direction. They could build anything, but did not know what to build. I think they may have now found their niche with some of the full range drivers. I would say that their capabilities are now very good and their QC to be fair.

Sorry for such a long post, but there seamed to be several issues to address. I hope I covered the questions.

Eric Y

Grip
Wow,
Thanks for the info.
I e-mailed Danny this morning and he posted here on the thread and then e-mailed me to let me know he had posted. The kit sounds great, very complete. It's nice to see that GR-Research really provides a complete kit for the consumer. I can't believe that they even include the solder! I can't wait to audition the AV-3's that Chris has. From the level of customer service that has been provided to me already I can tell their product has to be fantastic. It's nice to see a company providing the level of service that they do, and at such reasonable prices.
It seems crazy that I was so close to buying speakers at retail (PSB Image 4T), for a price much higher than the kits. I decided to hold off on buying the speakers until after I completed my sub- and I'm glad I did. I'll make sure to post pics of my projects soon. Especially since it seems that 95% of all the posting here revolves around Sub woofers.
Thank you all again
Eric Youngberg

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Eric, if Fri. doesn't work, Sat. will be fine.

Oh yeah, Music after 7pm sounds better, bring some CDs, don't listen to anything loud before hand, and wear clothing that's not too sound absorbant or I'll have to adjust the acoustic treatments. (JK on the last one)

:)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Danny's mid-woof drivers are very good and I look forward to his transmission line design. TL's have their own following among speaker enthusiasts. You don't see many commercial TL's because of the greater design complexity and the cabinet complexity makes for much more expensive cabinets.
Danny, I'd like to build a demo pair in the Spring - go for the lower 42 Hz extension.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hank is up many times in the night. Come to think of it, he probably only sleeps an hour or so a night. ...you know...the older you get, the more you have to wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom :D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I think Tony is even meaner than Brian. Of course if I lived in the land of fruits and nuts, I'd be mad too.;)
Brian, I hate dial-up and am looking into either cable modem or phone company DSL. My college student son wants greater speed for U.T. access and said he'll pay half the cost, so I consider that a good deal.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hank,...I am not meaner....just moodier :)....I think it has to do with the smog. And I live in the land of the nuts. The fruits are further north :D

Good luck with the DSL!!! It is the best think you going do for your computing experience :) If you want to get several hungred miles of cat 5, I'll give you a free connection to my network hub :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks