Best MTM Kit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Y, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

I have recently completed my first DIY project, a down firing 10" ported subwoofer. I am so pleased with the results that I now would like to move on to replace my old, and now blown, main channel speakers. As I've been searching for a kit to make the three I have narrowed it down to are:
    Dayton III MTM, from speakerbuilder.net
    Audax HT MTM
    GR-Research A/V-1+

I would like to find a dynamic speaker with good sensitivity. Which of these have you all built and what have your results been?

Although this is my first post, I have learned alot from all the posters here and would like to thank you all for the help with my first project.

Thank You,
    Eric Y

2. Eric, what is your budget?
    there may be some others that you have overlooked.
    Do you have a 4ohm stable amp?

3. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

Yes My amp is stable at 4ohms.
    I would like to keep the budget for drivers and crossover to under $300 for the pair.
    I know that there are probably a lot of other kits out there in this price range, and if there are any others that are well regarded I would be willing to take a look at them too.

4. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Of these, I would pick the A/V-1+. I have used the M130 woofer, and I don't think there's anything better in its price range. Danny's XO's are also highly regarded.

I've heard just as many bad things as good things about the 6.5" Dayton, and I have yet to meet an Audax that impressed me - not bad, just not above average. Between the Dayton and the Audax, I would pick the Audax.

Look at the response curves for the 3 woofers on their respective sites, and pick which one you think will sound smoother...

5. I have the SPCA special, and have heard the AV3's. and for the $$, they are quite nice and forgiving of "lesser" electronics.

6. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

Are there any designs out there that utilize TANG BAND tweeters? When checking their specs they seem to offer excelent performance for the price.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Eric,

The A/V series from GR Research use Tang Band tweeters.

8. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

Do you know which woofers are in the A/V series?

9. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

10. Ditto on the M130 comment

[​IMG]

11. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

12. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

Dan,
    First, thanks for your input. Second, I really like the look of your GR M16 / Morel MDT-30s 2.5-Way design. How do you think it compares to the GR-Research A/V-3? While the designs I listed at the start of the thread are all stand mounts, I reall would like to make them as floor standers (SAF).
    Thanks,
    Eric

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'm in Yorba Linda right now but my AV3s are in Laguna Hills only 30min away. Anthony Gomez who posted above is someone that has auditioned my GR-Research AV3s at my house.

I'd be glad to offer an audition if you want, just send me an email.

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Eric, I built a pair of the A/V-3's for a local customer and had a couple of friends listen to them as well. I would definitely recommend them for their lower extension. The design is very good and the customer, once I corrected his placement, was VERY pleased with them. You can see them on the second page of my crude web site:
    www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
    I'm Danny's tower cabinet source if you don't want to build them yourself.

BTW, I know another speaker design company that deals with the Peerless plant in India and he occasionally runs out of drivers because of the plants shipping unreliability, BUT he does demand quality and every driver of his that I've seen is fine.

15. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

16. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

Do the GR-Research Kits come with the crossovers preassembled?
    When looking at the retail cost of the drivers on the websight the total driver cost for a pair of A/V-1+ is $157.70. How much does the components for the crossover cost? When looking at the Audax kit the total price of the crossovers for the pair is almost exactly $100. Is there anything else that comes with the kit on the A/V-1+ or is the extra $50 for the design of the speaker and any extra profit above and beyond what they make on the speaker and crossover components?
    I don't mean this to sound miserly, if the kit is as great as advertised I really don't mind paying for the design, I just would like to know what I paying for. (Better itemization of what the kit parts cost)

17. you can get them pre-assembled for a fee...but they are so simple that anyone with a soldering iron can do them IMO.

...except Brian Bunge [​IMG]...he has 2 left hands....and then there is Hank...his soldering skills are useless, ....untill you give him his tequila [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You will get everything needed except the wood. ie stuffing, drivers, terminal cups, screws, heatshrink XO parts etc. There used to be a picture on their site showing everything you get.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The inductors used in the kits are pretty expensive, so that definitely adds to the cost. But I imagine Danny has also factored in his "design time" into the cost of the kits. I could be wrong though. I never priced out the individual components.

Tony,

Bite me! [​IMG]

19. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Eric, Danny (as well as any designer) needs to profit on his design time, as he has invested years into acquiring the skills. As Brian points out the components are first-rate - those caps and coils are expensive. Just order it, build it and enjoy the sound.[​IMG]

Tony, I'm a solder-slinger from way back, starting with buiding a point-to-point wired H.H. Scott integrated tube amp when I was 16 (Brian, resist the wisecrack temptation).
    Maybe all these years of lead solder fumes explains a lot...hmmm...[​IMG]

20. Eric Y

Eric Y Extra

When I was checking ou the GR websight I noticed the new version AV-3 and I was wondering what the difference between it and the AV1+ is. It seems to use the exact same drivers as the AV1+. Does the crossover have to be designed differently for a floor stander vs. a stand mount? Or could I just order the AV1+ and build a floor standing enclosure that still has the correct internal volume?

Also do you know when the new AV3 is going to be ready.