What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Best DVD's for my new HT? (1 Viewer)

Brad_Cox

Agent
I just bought an SVS 20-39 PC+ to complete my new Home Theater. I will be moving in to my new home in about 2-3 weeks and since this is my first Home Theater and my wife wanted to kill me for spending what I spent, what are some good movies I can get to really impress her?

So far I have Four Brothers, War of the Worlds, The Haunting, U571, Behind Enemy Lines and Polar Express. I have many other DVD's but I was told these would sound good with the SVS. What are some other good movies for the SVS to impress?

Thanks

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Welcome to the Forum Brad. Congrats on your new toy. :) There have been many threads about which dvds are great for HT demos etc....You have some good ones listed. Here's a few more in case you can't find another thread:

Saving Private Ryan...dts dvd.
The Fifth Element....Superbit dvd
Any of the Star Wars movies
Lord of the Rings Trilogy has great bass.
Top Gun...new Special Edition with dts...
Fantasia 2000 sounds AWESOME too
Moulin Rouge...dts track is killer.

There are many many more. Good luck. :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
War of the Worlds!

Oh man. :D :D :D

The movie sucks after more than about 2 watches, but the DTS mix is nuts. :)

danDo

Agent
Get one of your wifes favorite films, especially if you can find it with DTS. "Accidentally" forget to hook up the digital output of the DVD player to your tuner. Then about 5 minutes into the movie make the connection and restart.

That just about floored my wife... except that mine was not by accident :b

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
Spiderman II or Titanic. They are both a combintion of chick flix and action at the same time. Both also have great pic qual. and sur. sound.

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the Sound on Mr. & Mrs. Smith was excellent. My neighbors, however, weren't very happy with it. ;)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Titan AE is an awesome demo for your new sub, in particular the ice ring scene towards the end.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Another one that might have slipped by you is The Phantom Of The Opera. Big soundstage and surprisingly good bass. Terrific image as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You didn't mention whether or not you had DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 capability or not with your home theater.

I recommend (if you're still planning to buy DVD's en masse, and not waiting for Blu-Ray HD media to begin your cataloging efforts):

The Haunting with DTS-ES 6.1 mix (getting hard to find). It blows the Dolby Digital version away completely! Be sure to have a hand by the volume control as it is a sub killer! Sub-25 Hz frequency response in ALL seven channels!

The Mask Special Edition with DTS-ES 6.1

Titantic Special Edition with DTS-ES 6.1

Dumb and Dumber Special Edition with DTS-ES 6.1 It has a completely different/better mix on the DTS portion... like night and day!

Chicken Run Special Edition with DTS-ES 6.1 (hard to find)

Top Gun Special Edition with DTS-ES 6.1

Gladiator: Theatrical Cut 2-disc set with DTS-ES 6.1

The Final Countdown (with Kurt Douglass and Martin Sheen) with DTS-ES 6.1 (sure, it's a B-movie, but it's kinda fun in a cult classic sort of way, and the mix is aggressive in the surrounds)

Jurassic Park DTS 5.1 version... you MUST get a disc that has the code D2R2 on the inner hub of the disc, or it's probably one of those with the defective DTS track. The fixed versions may have a red colored band around the specifications box on the back cover. It's almost as good a track as the popular DTS LaserDisc... POWERFUL & TIGHT bass!!!

Spider Man 1 & 2 Superbit with DTS 5.1

Toy Story 1 (has a coupon for TS 2 inside) & Toy Story 2 Special Editions with DTS-ES 5.1 Not a discrete 6.1 track, but almost as good with the new, highly aggressive re-mixes.

The Hunt For Red October Special Edition with DTS 5.1. It really is better than the DD track... probably that was the track that includes the remix since it sounds so much better.

The Fifth Element Superbit with DTS 5.1

Das Boot 2-disc Superbit with German DTS 5.1- another superb remix effort and a really good film.

The Lord of the Rings: Director's Cuts with DTS-ES 6.1 tracks.

There are others, but I think that's a good start. As we get into HD discs that include lossless or uncompressed high resolution soundtracks, the sound quality will hopefully improve greatly! Crossing fingers.

Dan

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Tears of the Sun is also an overlooked film with an excellent DD track and pretty solid video (just some EE). Very well mixed track.

Also, the Bourne Supremacy in DTS is an excellently done soundtrack.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
If you had just gotten a new sub, I'd have recommended breaking it in gently, with something like On Golden Pond ;)

now, I suppose you can play Serenity (final atmospheric battle) at reference levels.. :D

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
The Incredibles - the image and DD EX sound are first-rate.
Master and Commander - both DD EX and DTS ES tracks are just amazing.
The Polar Express - the DD 5.1 track is just amazing, with very good bass and excellent surround usage. Randy Thom and Will Files supervised the sound for both this movie and The Incredibles. ;)
Peter Pan (2003) - the picture and DD EX track are going to knock your socks off (it may be a kid's film, but it sure has a great audiovisual transfer).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks