What's new

Ben-Hur Four-Disc (1 Viewer)

John Stockton

Second Unit

Patrick, perhaps tricked is not the right word but my point is that Warner, knowing quite well that the final result is cropped from all four sides, did market the first DVD as the original 2.76:1 ratio. That to me is plain wrong. Not only they are not delivering the goods but they are misleading the consumer.

Still awaiting the confirmation that the error has been fixed on the new DVD.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Where this idea comes from that ben Hur had a reissue with ten extra minutes (from where- without Wylers OK?) is absurd. There indeed was a reissue where the film was CUT - not lengthened.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Also is the silent version the same as the Thames version released on laser disc about 10 years ago. Was any extra footage restored to it?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
From the Cinema Laser review:

Too bad. I really enjoy hearing directional dialogue.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I would love to see this new DVD! Having seen the 1920's silent classic, this epic version with Charlton Heston really raised the bar where epic storytelling is concerned.

The chariot race is the true centerpiece of the entire film, one of the inspirations for the podrace in "Star Wars: Episode I". And if you are the ultimate fanboy, dial in John Williams' podrace score from TPM during the chariot race scene as an "alternate score" - you'll be amazed at how well it fits!

There was actually a version that was shot before Fred Niblo's silent classic. In 1907 director Sidney Olcott shot a 12-minute silent one-reeler of "Ben-Hur", and because of the copyright issues with the novel's author, it set a standard for film/TV adaptations of novels that continues a century later to this day. I saw a print of the 1907 version a couple of years ago, and the film was in extremely rough shape, given its age, and only select scenes were adapted for the 12-minute one-reeler, including the chariot race. I'm thinking this version is in the public domain.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I am now DYING to see the new transfer in motion! Those Cinema Laser snaps are making this look like Reference Quality.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I love this movie but I can't double dip all the time! I'm still debating on whether to buy the new Deer Hunter or not! I wish DVDs were like computer games where there are patches to update the software with better grahpics, more features.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I was going to suck it up and not double dip, but I forgot that the 25 version was in this set. Combined with the transfer improvements how can I not double on my #2 film all-time? :)

Just when I thought I had my buying curbed way back.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I would love to own this new dvd set, I can't afford to double dip on anything right now. It'll have to go on the Christmas List.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

It is ironic that the old Warner Bros dumped their 50's Stereo composite tracks, and MGM kept their's, plus stems etc. This is the one negative about keeping everything (sound), the technical bods can go back and change IATSE mixes. I wish there was some kind of rule that the IA could have entered in their contract years ago concerning protecting their members' work, years after the release date, from being tampered with.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
One more...

Warner (Four-Disc Collector's Edition) - Region 1,2,3,4 - NTSC "Ben-Hur" vs. Warner - Region 1 - NTSC vs. Warner - Region 2/4 - PAL

Original NTSC release:

New 4-disc CE release

The issues are color and cropping (of the old edition)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

With some luck I can get To Kill a Mockingbird done today too...

Best,
Gary

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The old transfer looks slightly sharper to me. Colours look a bit oversaturated on the new transfer and the contrast looks boosted. Obviously, the cropping on the old transfer is bad, though.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sorry you didn't like the review. I didn't discuss the change in cropping because... I forgot. I actually rented the old DVD to check it out again, but I didn't recall the issue about its cropping. I'll update my review at some point to mention it, though I can't directly compare the two since the review copy went back to Blockbuster!

As for the audio, I'm not sure what you wanted me to discuss that I didn't. I make a comment that it shows some minor improvements and tightens up matters a bit. No, I don't provide tremendous details about this, but I do refer to it - I thought the new one was a little superior in terms of audio...

GregK

Screenwriter
The WSR reviewer of the 4-disc BEN-HUR set believes it is the same 5.1 re-mix used on the first DVD release, but with a different EQ curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks