What's new

Ben-Hur Four-Disc (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Most of the "flickering" that I noticed in the second half of the movie occured during the prelude to the Pod Race ... er ... I mean Chariot Race ... :)

Seriously ... This is a *great* presentation of a great movie. The video can be deemed "stellar" for about 90% of the movie on my equipment. The "flickering" is really very minor and only shows up in just a few scenes.

As I tried to make evident in my post above, all the complaining about the color and the detail was really "Much Ado About Nothing" IMHO.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Guess I was immune to the "flickering" when I watched the 1959 version projected from my DLP front projector on the 110" screen.:rolleyes

As David said, "If you go see REAL film prints of archival titles like this they often "pump" or flicker this same way on the big screen" and that's maybe why I didn't give it a second thought to even mention it in my observations.

It didn't bother me at all.

The only film that I think "flicker" got to me and I asked myself at the time, (I wonder if there was a way to tone it down a bit?), while I was watching it, was the 1955 Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Oklahoma!", that was presented in its 30fps Todd-AO version on DVD in the 2.20:1 aspect ratio. Fox said the original projection equipment was needed to transfer it to disc.

Also, seeing Ben-Hur on a direct view screen may magnify the "flicker" psychologically, compared to seeing it projected on a movie screen, because you wouldn't be used to seeing the phenomena on a direct view monitor/television.

Paul

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, someone sent me a note asking if Warner released this new edition in both full screen and widescreen edition because on Best Buy's website he saw they had listed a Full Screen Collector's Edition for sale... and it costs $10 more than the widescreen version.

Obviously an error, but imagine the horror when some unsuspecting full screen fan orders it, pops it in to their DVD player and sees more than 50% of their 4:3 TV is taken up by those dreaded black bars! Someone may have to call 911 for them. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks