What's new

Believe It Or Not - Grady Is Coming To DVD! (1 Viewer)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Not crazy about that price point, and since burned disks rarely have a sale price, not sure if i'll bite. It's on my list, though..

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think the concurrent announcement of "Chopper One" is an even bigger surprise than "Grady." Grady at least has the spin-off connection to a hit show that's always made it semi-plausible for release.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The price point is steep, especially considering I purchased the entire 6 seasons of SANFORD AND SON Sony DVD set for less than the $30.99 U.S. SRP! I might grab it, at some point, though. It is a nice surprise that Sony is issuing GRADY, or any TV series, as I thought they were strictly sub licensing to Millcreek Entertainment for that purpose these days!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Guys, I agree with you regarding the price range on this specific set as there were only 10 episodes of said show and not worth the huge amount they're charging for a DVD-R type set. That price shouldn't be more than $14.95 and I'm being a bit generous on that, but have to admit it was a surprise of this coming out. Now will they release BOTH Sanford and Sanford Arms in the not too distant future? Only time will tell.
Considering that SANFORD ARMS only ran for 8 episodes, Sony could package that and GRADY in a single combined series set. In my opinion, that could be worth something in the neighborhood of $24.95. I believe that combined with SANFORD AND SON, that would make a complete '70s availability of the various Sanford And Son characters, in terms of sitcoms (Not counting any Variety Show Guest Appearances!), at least!

CHEERS! :)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
It's gotta be priced to make it viable for them to make money off of projected sales.

As a huge fan of S&S, I'll get it for the Fred appearance and in hopes that sales will make the company want to release SANFORD.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The price point for a MOD release is likely to be higher than for a standard wide release because they aren't really depending on volume in the same way.

Jack, I wonder if they are starting with their less in-demand titles for this program, knowing that they will not ever be potential wide releases, while still holding out hope for continuing series like the ones you mentioned in a more lucrative wide release. (Sort of the way that CBS started licensing out shows like Angie and Petrocelli while hanging onto Gunsmoke and Bonanza.) If the MOD program is successful for them, though, perhaps they will take another look at those stalled shows.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I remember how BET had all the spinoffs of Sanford and Son at various times in the 1980s and 1990s but never the original itself, since TBS held the cable rights then passed them onto TV Land.

It's nice to know that Sony's MOD program still has life in it. Sony owns so many shows and their DVD rights are split between so many companies, I'm sure more of the stalled/unreleased ones are bound to come out eventually. They seem to have the most shows I want. But for some of them, they certainly have taken their sweet time.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think the concurrent announcement of "Chopper One" is an even bigger surprise than "Grady." Grady at least has the spin-off connection to a hit show that's always made it semi-plausible for release.

Don't underestimate the sales appeal of LOU FRIZZELL ;)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
About the price, is it possible that music rights issues or remastering are to blame?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
About the price, is it possible that music rights issues or remastering are to blame?

It could just be their pricing model in general. Didn't they price two stand-alone volumes of Salvage One quite high? $20.95 per 2-hour disc? Quite similar to individual release pricing on VHS titles from the late '80s/early '90s.

Those titles sell for about $15 on Amazon, so I'm sure Grady will get discounted when it actually appears for sale, as the big e-tailers rarely price DVDs at full RRP.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
The price point for a MOD release is likely to be higher than for a standard wide release because they aren't really depending on volume in the same way.

Strange logic to me. Seems to me MOD reduces the need to create inventory, store inventory and recall inventory -- all cost additions. Price it appropriately and create more demand -- which doesn't necessarily push the cost down in MOD but increases the profit margin, especially on ancillary costing (ie design, technical clean-ups if any etc).
I've long given up griping about the MOD movement but still witness pressed discs being released, even those by MOD outfits. I'm still trying to figure out if that's because the MOD medium remains too costly or has too many bugs that eat into the profits, or what. I agree with the next poster who'll decree that dvds are a dying medium and streaming (or retinal scanning, if we take Dr. Tomorrow's view) is the near future. Just don't clog up my rotary landline to tell me that!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They can still make sure that color balance is consistent from shot to shot, keep the brightest parts of the picture from being blown out, and start from early generation, network-length masters. That's about the best you can do with analog SD tape.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Coverart for GRADY is now available at some online retailers. However, Amazon's listing has been changed to "Currently Unavailable". The title on the cover reads "The Best of GRADY". Weird.

Attachments

• grady.jpg
    grady.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 105

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
So at the very last minute, the "Season 1" release of a 1-season series becomes a "Best Of"? There's only 10 episodes total. Hopefully more information/clarification is forthcoming.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Amazon lists it as being 3 hours, 44 minutes. That comes to either 9 complete episodes or 10 edited ones. Since the series was never syndicated, 9 complete episodes seems more likely. Maybe one episode had clearance issues? Or the master tape was damaged? In any case, that missing episode might explain the title change.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Amazon lists it as being 3 hours, 44 minutes. That comes to either 9 complete episodes or 10 edited ones. Since the series was never syndicated, 9 complete episodes seems more likely. Maybe one episode had clearance issues? Or the master tape was damaged? In any case, that missing episode might explain the title change.
HA- you beat me to the punch! What he said! :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks