What's new

Believe It Or Not - Grady Is Coming To DVD! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Neil, no matter what, to each his own but it still wouldn't be worth the money they're charging for this set, let alone if this is the actual completed Grady series set for the ten episodes and we should keep in mind that it is an MOD to boot.

Remember, it's listed as The Best of Grady so who knows what will be on this set content-wise. You'd like to think it will be all ten episodes of the show but again, with Sony, one can only wonder.

You're free to buy it if you wish but it's all up to the individuals's stance and discretion like Tony stated as this set shouldn't be worth more than 15 bucks tops.

As someone who has been collecting for almost 40 years, I've paid more that what they are asking for the DVD set for single episodes of rare shows. This is a relative bargain.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
It may be a bargain (to some) but from a few on this thread -- who seem interested in the series or have memories of it -- the listed price tag, when compared to what is also being released these days (a full season of the Defenders was $40.59 CDN for me) Grady's MOD tag seems a tad steep. What makes it a deal breaker for some? That it isn't that high on their 'must-have' lists.
But back to 1975 -- after i took my 5 Beta tapes which i had carefully recorded the show on and plugged an ad onto the local pennysaver or newspaper's 'for sale' section, at a cost of $2.42 for three x repeat, I'd hop into my 72 Camaro and cruise on down to the local Wimpy's Grill to chow down on a 55 cent burger, and 40 milk shake - Yumm!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It may be a bargain (to some) but from a few on this thread -- who seem interested in the series or have memories of it -- the listed price tag, when compared to what is also being released these days (a full season of the Defenders was $40.59 CDN for me) Grady's MOD tag seems a tad steep. What makes it a deal breaker for some? That it isn't that high on their 'must-have' lists.
But back to 1975 -- after i took my 5 Beta tapes which i had carefully recorded the show on and plugged an ad onto the local pennysaver or newspaper's 'for sale' section, at a cost of $2.42 for three x repeat, I'd hop into my 72 Camaro and cruise on down to the local Wimpy's Grill to chow down on a 55 cent burger, and 40 milk shake - Yumm!

Hi Dan!

I believe that another problem with relative price comparisons in this case, is that all 6 seasons of GRADY's parent series is currently going for about the same $30 price tag on pressed Sony DVDs. As the SANFORD AND SON set has been around for awhile, this might not be an entirely fair comparison, but that's how a lot of consumers are going to see it.

In fact, the SANFORD AND SON: THE COMPLETE SERIES set (136 Episodes) is currently priced at just under $30 U.S. on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Son-...id=1468769466&sr=8-1&keywords=sanford+and+son

And "Believe it or not" it's priced even lower ($27.49 CDN) on Amazon Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/Sanford-Son-C...id=1468769691&sr=8-1&keywords=sanford+and+son

By the way, your mention of the local Pennysaver's and Wimpy's Grill (Never got to eat there, but there was one we passed by quite often as kids!) brought back some childhood memories!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I wondered when I saw this release if maybe, just maybe, they're testing the water for a release of SANFORD, Redd Foxx's follow up to the original series.

I'm hoping it gets released at some point.

I'd like to see it released as well. However, if the Grady set is any indication, then an eventual Sanford set will most likely leave out the episode with guest star Sammy Davis Jr. In that one, Sammy sings "Just the Way You Are" and later Sammy and Fred sing "My Kind of Town".

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...domain-former-owner-warnerchapell-to-pay-14m/

They may have had difficulty getting the rights to the "mechanical" ie vocals if the performers were not available to authorize it ...

Thanks for the link, Bryan. Interesting.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Actually, the more I think of it, why would music clearance issues prevent the inclusion of an entire episode, as opposed to the affected segment/s, which depending on the circumstance, replacement music might be used, instead?

Perhaps, Sony's dealing with a lost/misplaced episode? Just offering up another possibility, however unpleasant the prospect might be!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Having looked at a number of sources, there seems to be some discrepancies. While TV Shows On DVD, Wikipedia, and IMDB all indicate 10 episodes that aired, one of the IMDB user reviewers mention there being 12 episodes. In addition, TV Shows On DVD make the glaring error of indicating that GRADY ran during the 1973-74 season, whereas it actually ran during the 1975-76 season, so perhaps it's possible they might also be incorrect regarding the total number of episodes, which to be fair, 2 of them might have never aired, if 12 is in fact, the correct number of episodes that were recorded.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, I referenced the TV Shows on DVD error in the 1st post on this thread. Glaring is right, but I can't say I was surprised.

As for the reviews on IMDB, I tend to find them even more unreliable than Wikipedia. Every guide I've ever seen has said there was a total of 10 episodes, not 12. Here's another guide, from a site I've always found to be accurate:
http://ctva.biz/US/Comedy/Grady.htm

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yeah, I referenced the TV Shows on DVD error in the 1st post on this thread. Glaring is right, but I can't say I was surprised.

As for the reviews on IMDB, I tend to find them even more unreliable than Wikipedia. Every guide I've ever seen has said there was a total of 10 episodes, not 12. Here's another guide, from a site I've always found to be accurate:
http://ctva.biz/US/Comedy/Grady.htm
I certainly wasn't taking a user's citing of 12 episodes as fact, though it strikes me as slightly odd that an exact number was used, like perhaps he'd counted the number of them during one of GRADY's syndicated runs?

Of course, there's also the fact that sometimes, short run cancelled programs will have unaired episodes.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Then Tony, why are they even bothering to release it then if they're having trouble with the music clearances and such? By such an action, then this would just render the set as yet another money grab by Sony, thus justifying it more so that 30 bucks for 10 episodes (if they are completed and unedited and a MOD to boot and lised as a Best of Grady set) just doesn't cut the mustard and according to EPGUIDES.com there were indeed 10 episodes of this show before it got CXLerd by NBC
The problem is. so far, there hasn't been any official explanation by Sony in regards to why the Christmas episode wasn't included, only an acknowledgement that it wasn't. The rest has been speculation, thus far!

I, for one, would appreciate some sort of explanation from Sony as to what circumstances prevented "Merry Birthday/Happy Christmas's" inclusion on the DVD.

Last edited:

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
It could be a case that the episode used varied musical supplements from Irving Berlin's catalogue -- which continue to have a price tag attached.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
it could also be that there was significant tape damage on the 2" master, or something so trivial as an extra episode necessitating an additional disc (or an additional recording layer), so Sony said "screw it".

Also, if the episode count is wrong, it might even be that this set has just five on it, and they're holding the other five for a "volume two". Yes, I know that would make the price even higher, but remember how much they charged for 2-hour DVDs of Salvage One...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I certainly wasn't taking a user's citing of 12 episodes as fact, though it strikes me as slightly odd that an exact number was used, like perhaps he'd counted the number of them during one of GRADY's syndicated runs?

Of course, there's also the fact that sometimes, short run cancelled programs will have unaired episodes.

There were no Grady syndicated runs, unless you were trying to be facetious.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
There were no Grady syndicated runs, unless you were trying to be facetious.
My post was in reference to another poster who indicated the GRADY episodes were reran on the BET channel. Syndication may have been the wrong choice of wording, in this case, although I believe it still successfully illustrates the possibility there could have been previously unaired episodes.

Last edited:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've been on the fence about whether or not to pick this one up and the missing episode doesn't help matters. However, I love me some Whitman Mayo, so I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well if it's "The Best Of," maybe the Christmas episode just couldn't make the cut.
Or maybe Sony plans to include it in a separate "Best Of" Christmas TV episodes release? ;)

The point is, unless and until somebody representing Sony comes forward regarding this, there's really no way of knowing anything but the obvious, that the Christmas episode is NOT included in the now re-titled BEST OF GRADY mix! The rest is speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks