What's new

Believe It Or Not - Grady Is Coming To DVD! (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Tony, my first thought was like the first first season of Bev Hillbillies they'll put it out later. Can't be more happy.

I think Roseanne Katon plays Grady's granddaughter throughout and not just the pilot? If I say anything more my perv level goes to 11. :p****** She was Playboy playmate of the month a few years later!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Tony, my first thought was like the first first season of Bev Hillbillies they'll put it out later. Can't be more happy.

I think Roseanne Katon plays Grady's granddaughter throughout and not just the pilot? If I say anything more my perv level goes to 11. :p****** She was Playboy playmate of the month a few years later!

she has a very ample.... IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0441423/

Including a film recently reviewed on bluray by RAH ...

IMDB indicates that Grady had 10 episodes at that Rossane was in all 10 including the missing episode - Merry Birthday, Happy Xmas (1975) ... Laurie Marshall

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Speaking of, I saw this trivia bit about Katon's modeling on IMDB's page for Jason of Star Command:
The issue of "Playboy" featuring guest star Rosanne Katon as Playmate of the Month was published during the filming of the first season, in summer, 1978. Producer Lou Scheimer panicked, worried that CBS would raise hell about a nude centerfold appearing in a Saturday morning children's show (although CBS apparently did not care). To goad Scheimer, stop-motion animators Stephen Czerkas and Jim Aupperle cut a small photo of the nude Katon out of "Playboy" and inserted it into a special effects monster shot. They got the expected panicked reaction from producer Scheimer.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Speaking of, I saw this trivia bit about Katon's modeling on IMDB's page for Jason of Star Command:
Scheimer & CBS didn't particularly care about Joanna Cameron's nude scene in Gene Roddenberry's Pretty Maids All in Row before they cast her as um you know Andrea Thomas ... ;)

MV5BMTkyOTQ4MzA5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDU5NDkwMDE@._V1_.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ as a professional perv I must add Pretty Maids to my wishlist this instant but no one tell Andy. ssshhhhhhhhh... :p*

Somehow she was able to play those roles how they should have been. She looks like a sweet high school girl on Grady and a lovely young Princess in Jason. I also felt her part was too small on the What's Happening she was on. She appears, looks amazing, then she's gone. :(

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Scheimer & CBS didn't particularly care about Joanna Cameron's nude scene in Gene Roddenberry's Pretty Maids All in Row before they cast her as um you know Andrea Thomas ... ;)

Unless I'm misremembering, she showed a lot more in I Love My...Wife and (especially) B. S. i love you than she did in Pretty Maids. Even so, there's no way she showed anywhere near as much as Katon did by posing for Playboy. Most of what Cameron did on-screen would be more than acceptable in a PG-rated film these days (or even just a couple years later, going by what Logan's Run got by with).

I interviewed Scheimer for my Isis fansite in 2002 and got the impression that he more than had "an eye for the ladies". I don't think Scheimer would have had any problem with it personally, but he might've been afraid about what CBS might say.

After comparing notes with some other people, I know he's commented about her "great legs" to more people than just me! Here's a direct quote from my interview:

I can remember the first time I met Joanna she just seemed terrific, and she looked the part and she was a very beautiful young lady. She was great, and she had the best looking legs I'd ever seen!

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Unless I'm misremembering, she showed a lot more in I Love My...Wife and (especially) B. S. i love you than she did in Pretty Maids. Even so, there's now way she showed anywhere near as much as Katon did by posing for Playboy. Most of what Cameron did on-screen would be more than acceptable in a PG-rated film these days (or even just a couple years later, going by what Logan's Run got by with).

I interviewed Scheimer for my Isis fansite in 2002 and got the impression that he more than had "an eye for the ladies". I don't think Scheimer would have had any problem with it personally, but he might've been afraid about what CBS might say.

After comparing notes with some other people, I know he's commented about her "great legs" to more people than just me! Here's a direct quote from my interview:

I can remember the first time I met Joanna she just seemed terrific, and she looked the part and she was a very beautiful young lady. She was great, and she had the best looking legs I'd ever seen!
A B & W still from Pretty Maids appeared in Playboy ... :cool:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
A B & W still from Pretty Maids appeared in Playboy ... :cool:

If it's the still I'm thinking about (the one that's in the lower-left corner of the one-sheet movie poster, though cropped above her bustline on the poster, or, at least, a very similar still, taken from the same photo session), a color version of the un-cropped still has done the rounds, too.

As for the Pretty Maids movie itself, I don't think you can see her naked in the movie (at least, nothing that would need to be "covered up" or "blurred" on broadcast television).

Of course, I've only skimmed through the Warner Archive release of Pretty Maids anyway, just to see which scene(s) Joanna C. appeared in, so might be wrong about that.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If it's the still I'm thinking about (the one that's in the lower-left corner of the one-sheet movie poster, though cropped above her bustline on the poster, or, at least, a very similar still, taken from the same photo session), a color version of the un-cropped still has done the rounds, too.

As for the Pretty Maids movie itself, I don't think you can see her naked in the movie (at least, nothing that would need to be "covered up" or "blurred" on broadcast television).

Of course, I've only skimmed through the Warner Archive release of Pretty Maids anyway, just to see which scene(s) Joanna C. appeared in, so might be wrong about that.
I checked and the still came from PS I Love You - mea culpa

I could swear she was the girl who took off her clothes in the coach's office and waits for him to come ...
I think my confusion came from Pretty Maids and PS I Love both being in the November 1971 Sex in Cinema ...:unsure:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I checked and the still came from PS I Love You - mea culpa

I could swear she was the girl who took off her clothes in the coach's office and waits for him to come ...
I think my confusion came from Pretty Maids and PS I Love both being in the November 1971 Sex in Cinema ...:unsure:

It's actually B.S., not P.S., which was released over 35 years later, in 2007.

Anyway, back to Grady!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I finally got around to purchasing this one and the first episode did look great! Redd Foxx guested on the first episode and provided most of the laughs. The rest of the series probably won't be as good, but Whitman Mayo always makes things watchable for me.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I just received GRADY last week as a birthday gift and I must say I absolutely LOVE it!! Much better than I thought it would be. I believe it will also get better with repeat viewings.

I, honestly, wish Sony would release shows like this more and more on dvd, even if it's as a MOD at $30 a pop. It is nice to have this show in a nice set in such excellent quality. All episodes looked great to me.

It IS a shame they couldn't include the missing episode. However, I would still have purchased it if I hadn't received it as a gift because it is well worth owning.

Here's to other shows being released by Sony, such as:
ONE IN A MILLION (1980) - Shirley Hemphill
SANFORD (1980)
SANFORD ARMS (1977)
ALL'S FAIR (1976) - Bernadette Peters
HOT L BALTIMORE (1975)
GLORIA (1982) - Sally Struthers
CHECKING IN (1981) - Marla Gibbs

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's Your Move is another one I'm surprised hasn't come out yet. There's only one season, and Jason Bateman's career has never been more active than it is now, and I can't imagine how much music there could be to clear.

What about the shows Lear himself produced for Act III (the same company that also produced The Princess Bride) after he sold Embassy? In 1991, long after Embassy had been reduced to an in-name-only copyright holding company, they capitalized on the 20th anniversary of All in the Family*, he partnered with Columbia to make Sunday Dinner for CBS (which IIRC actually got lower ratings than the AitF reruns that preceded it) and The Powers That Be on NBC**, which aired after The Golden Girls right before it left NBC to mutate into the still-MIA-on-DVD Golden Palace on CBS. Those were the days.

*And now, the year I actually got to meet Norman Lear at the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival screening of the PBS documentary about him, more time has passed between now and then since then and 1971.
**Keeping this show on the air until at least 1995 might have been the cultural equivalent of preventing the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm finally getting around to watching the rest of the Grady episodes and I've been pleasantly surprised! The rest of the episodes look great and are pretty funny to boot! The poker episode with guests Bubba and Rollo was great, at least until Robbie Rist showed up. I'll say it again, Whitman Mayo elevates this series with his perfect timing and delivery. Also fun to see a young Haywood Nelson, pre What's Happening!.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Considering that SANFORD ARMS only ran for 8 episodes, Sony could package that and GRADY in a single combined series set. In my opinion, that could be worth something in the neighborhood of $24.95. I believe that combined with SANFORD AND SON, that would make a complete '70s availability of the various Sanford And Son characters, in terms of sitcoms (Not counting any Variety Show Guest Appearances!), at least!

CHEERS! :)

You think (if such a thing does happen) that the entirety of Grady (10 shows) will be on the first disc, and the entirety of Sanford Arms (8 shows) will be on the second disc?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Okay, having now seen the Christmas episode, I think I have a pretty good idea of why it wasn't released. Early in the show the cast sings "Happy Birthday" -- that used to be under copyright, but didn't I read that (a) the copyright expired in 1988, (b) it was based on the public domain song "Good Morning To You," and (3) although the Hill sisters copyrighted it with the "happy birthday" lyrics, many years after the fact someone discovered sheet music pre-dating their version which basically proved it was PD in the first place?

As the show goes on, there is a scene in a bar where a small part of Elvis Presley's version of "Blue Christmas" is playing on a jukebox in the background. Later on, Grady and his son-in-law are singing a drunken parody version of "Winter Wonderland." And at the end of the show, Nat "King" Cole's version of "The Christmas Song" is playing, and it's also played under the closing credits.

I guess that'll do it!

By the way, Fred Sanford isn't in the Christmas episode, but Bubba, Aunt Esther and Woody are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks