What's new

Being a bouncer (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I was informally offered the job yesterday at this trendy bar/club. I am not really interested but I do want to explore the issue a little bit. I certainly have the physique for it. Might be fun for the summer.

Any bouncer stories floating around or first hand accounts?

Electrical Engineer by day, Bouncer by night, I like the sound of that :D

--
Holadem

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I have been offered a bouncer job at EVERY bar in my city. I have turned them all down strictly becasue they refuse to pay best offer was about $8/hour. I'm not willing to take the risks involved with bouncing for $8 an hour. I have broken up my fair share of fights though, and I have yet to actually hit a single person. The best weapon a bouncer has is his mouth.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Some friends of mine at work knew the bouncer who was killed recently at Guernica in NYC :frowning: It doesn't matter how big you are when you catch a knife to an artery in a stupid scuffle over who can smoke where.

It's not a job I would want. Low pay, who knows what risk.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Any bouncer stories floating around or first hand accounts?
The guest speaker at my college was Dan Lauria (The father on the Wonder Years) because he went to my school (Southern Conn. State Univ.)

During his speech, he told a story about the time he was a bouncer with these two other guys (before they were famous). The 2 other guys were Bruce Willis and John Goodman. :)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I was a bouncer in Detroit in the late 80's. it has it;s moments of fun but in less than a year there I saw someone get killed. Got to meet so many drunk @ssholes I couldn't even count them. You never know when someone has a knife and the worst people to deal with are guys hopped up on steroids. Even a small guy on roids can require several men to take down and they will do anything.

If you have a nice car don't take it to work. If they find out what you drive they will trash your car on a continuous basis.

The adrenalin thrill can be addictive but the downside far outweigh the high. If you want an Adrenalin high i suggest rock climbing or mountain biking or any of the other sports out there.

Another common and disgusting problem is that drunks like to puke when they get shaken up to much or over excited. That always happens while you have them wrapped up.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Holadem if you take the job let me know, I can be your sidekick. I'm only 5'6" & 135lbs but I have a big mouth. I'll get behind you and repeat everything you say, only louder! :D

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Bouncers put up with crap the likes of which most people can never fathom.

To do it for 'fun' might be akin to smokeing for good health.

I'd suggest being a bartender. THAT is where the perks are.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've always had good experiences with bouncers. They've always helped me get backstage—but, then, I had press credentials. I've seen some fights get out of hand because of too much alcohol entering some people's systems. The bouncers in the Hollywood clubs remove the trouble-makers with notable efficiency and minimal fisticuffs.

I like bouncers.

Holadem: electrical engineer, bouncer, and Babylon 5 fan. Wow. (I'll get to your B5 question shortly, Holadem.)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I know a bouncer(but not very well) at a bar I go to sometimes. He's close to 7 feet tall and very built so there's hardly ever any problems there. Who in their right or inebriated mind would wanna have to scuffle with him?

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Stephen being that big can actually cause fights. Alot of drunks want to prove how tough they are by fighting the biggest guy around. Even if the biggest guy can break them in half. I know this I am the biggest guy around over 7 feet tall.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies everyone (I had forgotten about this thread :b). It was fun to think about for a while, but yeah, it's not for me.

--
Holadem

James T

Screenwriter
When Vin Diesel was on Letterman, he gave a few tips on being a bouncer.

He said, if things look out of control, always try talking first, then if it even looks like the guy might take it up another step, deck him with your right. Everything you got in one punch. You want to end confrontations as soon as you can.

Well it was more or less like that.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Another common and disgusting problem is that drunks like to puke when they get shaken up to much or over excited. That always happens while you have them wrapped up.
This too funny, as I was this drunk asshole about 15 years ago.

After puking on the floor of the club I was in, a bouncer got hold of me and managed to warn me that if "I do it again he would throw me the @$@$*@ out!"

Well as he is saying this I managed to throw up on his shoes.:emoji_thumbsup:

Needless to say, the last thing I remember was that I was thrown out of the side exit, like cowboys get thrown out of saloons in westerns :D

Thank God I did not have a car in those days, or I probably would not be writing this now.

Shawn Bridges

Auditioning
I worked as a bouncer for 6 years (part-time) in Boston. It had it share of fun times and bad times. The worst was a New Years Eve that ended in an all brawl with at least 20 cops showing up. But in the 6 years I never had to throw a punch. My brother and I subcontracted to a company that owned 6 resturant/nightclubs in the city. We were paid quite well for our time and we mostly worked private functions. For the most part things were easy going and as long as you didn't act like an Ahole most people were very sensible if they were getting out of control and either left peacefully or calmed down when request. Plus there were three perks; Music, women, and free booze at closing.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks