What's new

Beatles in Mono. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As previously reported, apparently Amazon has burned through their allotment of mono box sets already.
Edited by Philip Hamm - 8/18/2009 at 07:48 pm GMT

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Well it looks like I'm going to have to take off of work 9.9.09 to chase around these two box sets. I'm hoping Best Buy (I live near 3 of them) will have them so I can buy both and put it on my BB card for six months zero interest financing...will be buying the mono and stereo sets, but game-only for Rock Band, not the full instruments (already have 2 guitar, 2 mics and 2 drums from RB1 and RB2 sets as well as 3 cymbal pack).

Recently BB has been offering no interest for 18 months "storewide" for total purchases of $500+
Even if the total of the 2 sets isn’t that much, it’s worth it to get something else on your list to extend the no interest by such a margin. I am not sure if that 18 months is still happening, but with the economy the way it is, they have been doing various longer terms lately it seems.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The wait for these remasters is killing me! I preordered the mono box from Amazon back on 7/12 so hopefully I'll get one. In addition to the mono set, I'll pick up the individual stereo releases of Abbey Road, Let It Be and Past Masters. You'll need the Past Masters stereo discs to get songs like "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" which aren't in the mono box. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll pick up Pepper, The White Album, or MMT in stereo or not. The completist in me says I should, but in reality I don't think I'd listen to the stereo versions that often. I just think the mono mixes are so much better.....but that's just my preference.

9/9 can't get here soon enough!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am impatient, too. Fortunately, I found some light reading at BeatlesNews.com:

http://www.beatlesnews.com/news/the-beatles/200908151922/details-of-beatles-remasters-summarized-in-chicago.html

It is an interesting article.

- Steve

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Steve, thanks for that link. Lots of new details about the releases in there. It sounds like these were done right. Only two weeks to go...

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Having seen that article, I don't think the mono set will disappoint any Beatles fan.

And many of them on another site had the nerve to claim that it will suck because George Martin is not involved.

Edited to add: By the way, any chance that the remastered stereo CDs will be sold separately? The only ones from the stereo box set I want are "Abbey Road", "Let it Be", and "Past Masters".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001 ">[/url]

Having seen that article, I don't think the mono set will disappoint any Beatles fan.

And many of them on another site had the nerve to claim that it will suck because George Martin is not involved.
[/QUOTE]
Like anything with a deeply devoted fanbase, there's always going to be people who think they know better and that [i]x[/i] or [i]y[/i] is wrong and that this release is an affront to all that is good and holy.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

Edited to add: By the way, any chance that the remastered stereo CDs will be sold separately? The only ones from the stereo box set I want are "Abbey Road", "Let it Be", and "Past Masters".
All the RM stereo CD's are available separately, unless something has changed.

Brian

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
All the stereo CDs are going to be available individually. Amazon, for one, already has links up to order them.

Here are two links with slideshows of the packaging for the CDs:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles-Examiner~y2009m8d25-Beatles-remasters-update-More-new-pictures-slideshow-2

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles-Examiner~y2009m8d24-Beatles-remasters-update-New-pics-of-CDs-box-sets-see-photo-slideshow

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Although I am mostly interested in the mono set, I will definitely consider those as well as the first time stereo CD issues of Beatles for Sale and A Hard Days Night. I may even break down and pick up the stereo Please Please Me and With the Beatles even though I know that the mono will be way better on those two.

Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

... By the way, any chance that the remastered stereo CDs will be sold separately? The only ones from the stereo box set I want are "Abbey Road", "Let it Be", and "Past Masters".

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It seems that Amazon is now sold out of the stereo set as well. They promise they'll get more, but it seems everyone underestimated demand.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Why would anyone spend any money or that "bum group from Liverpool"?

;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Quite a review here:

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/beatles-box-in-stereo-and-mono/

Does nothing whatsoever to ease the wait. :) I've got the mono box ordered, but I think I'll wait until release to see if Best Buy has any crazy deals on the stereo box. I need them all, of course. And, being on a Fab kick as of late, I recently scored an unplayed UK BC-13 box. Yeehah!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey

Quite a review here:

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/beatles-box-in-stereo-and-mono/

Does nothing whatsoever to ease the wait. :)
Indeed, this is going to be a long 12 days. Thanks for sharing this review. It makes me glad I'm getting both boxes. Those of you who are planning on buying just the mono box and the stereo-only discs may want to expand your plans. After reading this I would want the stereo versions of "Sgt. Pepper's" and the White Album at the very least (I couldn't live without having the "blisters on me fingers" bit at the end of "Helter Skelter").

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hey, it's the law of supply and demand. Just wait until they start turning up on eBay.

You can still get the mono box set from Amazon.co.uk, and the exchange rate is better than $400. Nothing will beat that AAA deal, though, and I do thank the person who posted that here!

- Steve

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I'm on a sort of 'wait list' at my local Borders. The manager said there are two people on the list (I'm number 2), and he *thinks* his store will be allocated at least two copies, but he also said there are no guarantees.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am sort of amazed how many people are going for the mono
set over the stereo.

Not that I am knocking any of you. I read the article and it
appears that the mono discs bring out nuances never heard
before.

But you know what? I like my stereo. I like to listen to the
Beatles and have that separation in my headphones or car.

Hope there is at least one or two others getting the stereo over
the mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks