Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss

Battle of the Sexes Blu-ray Review
BattleOfTheSexes-1024x683.jpg

Battle of the Sexes, with its fine performances, superb recreation of 1973 with period details and flourishes, and presciently timed story, is compelling if imperfect. It’s a fun watch and worthy of your time, even if that’s just via rental.

[review]

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
As one who competed in junior tennis back then as well as being a ball boy (back then there were no ball girls) for major tournaments, I followed tennis pretty closely. Even back then I found this spectacle to be farcical to be called a "Battle of the Sexes" between a mediocre middle-aged player and (at the time) the best female tennis player. It would have been more interesting for her to play someone like John Newcombe as a true battle of the sexes. It was nothing more than a media circus that I never took seriously and the loss of Riggs was not surprising in the least. This movie might be interesting as nostalgia but otherwise, I have no interest in going back and reliving the ridiculous event.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this tonight. I also am old enough to have lived through the events depicted in the movie, so I appreciated the behind-the-scenes look at what was going on. (I will admit that I was surprised to be reminded that the King-Riggs match went three sets (best of five, I guess) and not two (best of three).

I went into the movie thinking Bobby Riggs was going to be the villain of the piece and emerged with a different take on this huckster altogether. Imagine my surprise that the legendary Jack Kramer was the real villain of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks