Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Preston Sturges’ The Lady Eve, one of the most memorable of the battle-of-the-sexes comedies and among the writer-director’s greatest achievements, makes a stunning Blu-ray debut in Criterion’s impressive new release.

The Lady Eve (1941)

Released: 21 Mar 1941
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 94 min

Director: Preston Sturges
Genre: Comedy, Romance

Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Charles Coburn, Eugene Pallette
Writer(s): Monckton Hoffe (screen play: based on a story by), Preston Sturges

Plot: A trio of classy card sharks targets the socially awkward heir to brewery millions for his money, until one of them falls in love with him.

IMDB rating: 7.8
MetaScore: 96

Disc Information

Studio: Criterion
Distributed By:...
Continue reading...

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I made the mistake of buying the Criterion DVD of The Lady Eve back in 2015. It looks like it was tranferred from a bad VHS tape. So I'm more than ready to buy this restored Blu-ray of one of my all-time favorite comedies!

Reactions: Darby67

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Today, I watched my Criterion Blu-ray and I concur with Matt's review of it. I'm going to compare this BD video presentation to the HD digital that I purchased back in 2017. At least, I'm going attempt to do so as time is a premium.;)

Music lover10

Premium
Real Name
Craig H
Was looking forward to a real stunner as this is a favorite movie. Can't say I was knocked out by a number of washed out close-ups or the very dupey look generally. In any event, my guess is that this may be the best it will ever look. The 1939 'Hunchback" is a totally different look, but when elements such as an OCN are available the results can be pretty stunning. BTW, where is Gunga Din (1939)?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Was looking forward to a real stunner as this is a favorite movie. Can't say I was knocked out by a number of washed out close-ups or the very dupey look generally. In any event, my guess is that this may be the best it will ever look. The 1939 'Hunchback" is a totally different look, but when elements such as an OCN are available the results can be pretty stunning. BTW, where is Gunga Din (1939)?
Just watched it last night and loved it. But agree that it's not great looking and clearly some generations away from the negative. There are quite a few opticals, so one has to excuse those, but not up there with the great black-and-white transfers.

Jay_Z_525

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Just watched it last night and loved it. But agree that it's not great looking and clearly some generations away from the negative. There are quite a few opticals, so one has to excuse those, but not up there with the great black-and-white transfers.
It is a substantial improvement over the previous release, showing more detail and better contrast but, yeah, time and lack of original elements do effect the picture but it doesn’t distract or take away from the enjoyment. This is probably the best it will ever look. I will say, the audio just falls flat for me, I find it a little muddy- to my ears anyway.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
View it for the first time as a blind purchase since i am a big fan of Preston Sturges and liked the film and have to say Barbara Stanwyck looked very sexy and poor Henry Fonda falling down or getting his clothes wet.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
The DVD wasn't exactly exemplary and I recall a few years back Criterion stating there wouldn't be a Blu-Ray of "The Lady Eve" because of the poor quality of the elements, and then lo and behold and Blu-Ray was announced. Yes, it's not pristine and clearly a number of generations removed from the original. But I love it. I think it captures the gleam and glow of the Paramount look way better than Criterion's "Sullivan's Travels" Blu-Ray. I think they did a great job, considering what they had to work with, and I for one am very impressed. I've watched the film three times already and hadn't noticed any paucity in visual quality.

Jay_Z_525

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I agree and I wouldn’t dissuade anyone from picking it up. Fantastic movie, certainly looking the best it ever will- can’t go wrong here.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
The quality of the transfer--and yes, I think the master, third or fourth generation or not, is very high quality--makes the pratfalls a whole lot funnier, because of the detail and the sheen of the cinematography and the sumptuous grey scale.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els