What's new

Batman DVD Set Missing Tag Scene In S2 Episode (2 Viewers)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
SInce I don't watch the episodes in sequence after doing so the first time, it doesn't matter to me whether the next week preview item is in the episode or not. Having them unspool in the way they did it is frankly a more interesting way of absorbing it from my standpoint.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
Wondering when the second half of Season 2 will be coming out on DVD?
Hi Richard!

I'm wondering the same thing, especially as the Lesley Gore/Catwoman Episodes will be on it. Of course, I don't even have the first half yet, and will likely be waiting at least until April to purchase this, as my March Video budget is already tied up with my Canadian Amazon Pre-Order of GOMER PYLE, USMC: THE COMPLETE SERIES!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
youworkmen said:
Obviously any future reissue will include all the episodes put back together properly.

Its not quite as annoying as having the Lost In Space season 3 trailers separated from the episodes but its along the same lines

Oh, I wouldn't say obviously, because that would mean they'd have to re-author. I can totally see WB doing a re-package, or adding an additional bonus features disc or something, but I seriously doubt they'll do an almost total re-author just to marry those brief teasers to the episodes they originally went with.

I'm certainly not going to hold my breath for that to happen.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AndyMcKinney said:
Oh, I wouldn't say obviously, because that would mean they'd have to re-author. I can totally see WB doing a re-package, or adding an additional bonus features disc or something, but I seriously doubt they'll do an almost total re-author just to marry those brief teasers to the episodes they originally went with.

I'm certainly not going to hold my breath for that to happen.
Hi Andy!

I'm inclined to agree with you, and that this would also be a waste of Warner's time and resources.

Of course, the same could be said regarding their sending two sets of replacement discs per request! Are they that worried that one of them might be somehow defective? It's really nice that they're going out of their way to please their customers, but this strikes me as a bit excessive and it doesn't guarantee against certain unforeseeable s, such as Mail Delivery in bad weather that ruins BOTH sets of discs! I'll personally feel really bad if I end up having to call Warner because BOTH of my replacement discs (I believe it's just a 1 disc replacement for the Season 1 DVD set.) are unplayable!

Tony

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I think if they reissued the sets that putting them back together properly would be a given as its likely they'll have HD masters prepared for broadcasts that will have these bits put back in otherwise little point in remastering them.

They did it this way to save on replacement discs and what better way to get fans to double dip in the future .

I'm surprised people are buying this show on dvd at all . Surely Bluray is the best way to go . Players are not expensive and if you buy the Italian set its less than half the price of the Limited Edition versions.

I didn't think there were many collectors out there who were still dvd only.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
youworkmen said:
I think if they reissued the sets that putting them back together properly would be a given as its likely they'll have HD masters prepared for broadcasts that will have these bits put back in otherwise little point in remastering them.

They did it this way to save on replacement discs and what better way to get fans to double dip in the future .

I'm surprised people are buying this show on dvd at all . Surely Bluray is the best way to go . Players are not expensive and if you buy the Italian set its less than half the price of the Limited Edition versions.

Hi David!

In my opinion, you make some great points! For me however, I decided to (Somewhat reluctantly!) go the DVD route for a couple of reasons. First, I like to have the option of playing my Videos on a PC, and I neither have, nor plan to get, an external Blu-Ray Drive for it anytime soon. Second, tempted as I was by the much lower cost of the German and Italian Blu-Ray Sets, I've experienced firsthand the headache and cost of having to return items internationally! To be honest, in one instance, I feel that I was rather hard done by U.S. Amazon, in that I was only compensated 25% of my return shipping, which the Consumer is on the hook for with Non Domestic Orders. I simply wasn't willing to take a chance like that with a set of this magnitude, should it have turned out to be defective! Therefore, my only option left was to go the Single Season route (I simply can't afford the $159.99 cost for the domestically offered No Frills Blu-Ray set on Canadian Amazon!), for which DVD is the only current option available!

Tony

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
youworkmen said:

According to industry execs DVD accounts for 75% of sales vs 25% for bluray.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Gary16 said:
Hi Gary!

Isn't it interesting that more than half a decade after Blu-Ray triumphed over the HD-DVD Format, the original SD version STILL outsells Blu-Ray discs 3 to 1?

It is my opinion that the convenience of being able to play DVDs in many different devices (Including Blu-Ray Players, themselves!) accounts for a lot of this, especially as only a very small fraction of PC's come pre-equipped with Blu-Ray Drives, and those tend to be significantly more expensive, even though Blu-Ray Players themselves can be purchased for well under $100!

I also suspect that the online HD Video market has significantly curtailed any appreciable growth in regards to Blu-Ray sales. Again, it is simply a matter of convenience!

Tony

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Gary16 said:
Since fans of comic books (and sci-fi) also tend to embrace new technology, I'd guess that for Batman, that breakdown would be reversed and about 3/4 of the sales were Blu-ray and a quarter were DVD. Of course that would still be thousands of people that bought Batman on DVD so it certainly made sense for Warners to release it on DVD.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Since fans of comic books (and sci-fi) also tend to embrace new technology, I'd guess that for Batman, that breakdown would be reversed and about 3/4 of the sales were Blu-ray and a quarter were DVD. Of course that would still be thousands of people that bought Batman on DVD so it certainly made sense for Warners to release it on DVD.

There's also the flipside, though, that senior citizens (who will make up a large percentage of the people who remember the show from its original run and syndication heyday) are less likely to embrace new tech, so those figures might even be closer to 50/50 (assuming the older folks would even be interested in Batman).

Heck, my mother would still be getting all her stuff on VHS if she had any choice! She has no interest in "learning" DVD and doesn't really 'get' what Blu-ray is!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AndyMcKinney said:
There's also the flipside, though, that senior citizens (who will make up a large percentage of the people who remember the show from its original run and syndication heyday) are less likely to embrace new tech, so those figures might even be closer to 50/50 (assuming the older folks would even be interested in Batman).

Heck, my mother would still be getting all her stuff on VHS if she had any choice! She has no interest in "learning" DVD and doesn't really 'get' what Blu-ray is!
Hi Andy!

You've also touched on a crucial difference between the changeover from VHS to DVD and DVD to Blu-Ray; DVD's are still playable on Blu-Ray Players, whereas VHS Tapes won't play on either standalone DVD or Blu-Ray Players. Another factor is those viewers that are still hanging on to their old CRT Televisions, most of which won't even accept a Blu-Ray Player connection, and a noticeable improvement in Video quality won't be seen even among the ones that do!

Tony

dmh1945

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
I feel out of place.I am over 60 and have the Blu-ray limited edition of Batman. I have 2 bluray players 2 hdtv's and 3 dvd recorders (2 with 1080 conversion) guess I am ready for the home

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Tony Bensley said:
Hi David!

In my opinion, you make some great points! For me however, I decided to (Somewhat reluctantly!) go the DVD route for a couple of reasons. First, I like to have the option of playing my Videos on a PC, and I neither have, nor plan to get, an external Blu-Ray Drive for it anytime soon. Second, tempted as I was by the much lower cost of the German and Italian Blu-Ray Sets, I've experienced firsthand the headache and cost of having to return items internationally! To be honest, in one instance, I feel that I was rather hard done by U.S. Amazon, in that I was only compensated 25% of my return shipping, which the Consumer is on the hook for with Non Domestic Orders. I simply wasn't willing to take a chance like that with a set of this magnitude, should it have turned out to be defective! Therefore, my only option left was to go the Single Season route (I simply can't afford the $159.99 cost for the domestically offered No Frills Blu-Ray set on Canadian Amazon!), for which DVD is the only current option available!

Tony

Sorry to hear you've had problems.

I'm in the UK and have had several issues with Amazon items from the US and Canada but I've always found them very obliging although in order to get full reimbursement I do sometimes need to use the Live Chat option in order to explain the issues more fully.

I purchased The Fugitive set from a US seller and before I ordered I sent them 2 or 3 emails asking them to check if the sets had the corrected discs in . They didn't bother and when it arrived it had the old ones in.

I emailed them about the problem and asked them to send just the 5 corrected discs ( at this point I didn't know how to get the replacements from the dvd studio) but they insisted on sending an entire replacement set . Before they shipped it I advised them it was likely to include the wrong discs again so not to send it.

When the first set arrived I had to pay the expected customs charges . I told the seller that if they were intent on sending a replacement set they needed to mark the value down as zero or I would get charges again but they didn't do that either so when it was due to be delivered I refused to accept it because of the charges.

So I said I would return the initial set for a refund but they said they would not give a refund unless I accepted the replacement.

At this point I had to contact Amazon who were very understanding and agreed I should not have to pay a second lot of charges for a replacement item that cost me nothing. They contacted the seller who refused to budge. In the event I got a full refund for not only the full cost of the initial set which I got to keep but also for the charges that purchase had incurred so I got the whole set for free so I didn't mind spending a few pound on Skype once I'd tracked down the details for how to get the corrected discs.

Also Canada sent me a heavily discounted item but listed the value on the customs list as its original price so the customs charges were going to be high instead of zero . Once again I conversed with Live Chat who contacted the courier and paid the incorrect charges themselves.

If an item is faulty you should get 100% refund not 25% . I suggest Live Chat might help.

Gary16 said:

I was referring to collectors rather than the general mass market.

A $150 Limited Edition nor many of the Batman releases have been aimed at the mass market.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
youworkmen said:
Sorry to hear you've had problems.

I'm in the UK and have had several issues with Amazon items from the US and Canada but I've always found them very obliging although in order to get full reimbursement I do sometimes need to use the Live Chat option in order to explain the issues more fully.

I purchased The Fugitive set from a US seller and before I ordered I sent them 2 or 3 emails asking them to check if the sets had the corrected discs in . They didn't bother and when it arrived it had the old ones in.

I emailed them about the problem and asked them to send just the 5 corrected discs ( at this point I didn't know how to get the replacements from the dvd studio) but they insisted on sending an entire replacement set . Before they shipped it I advised them it was likely to include the wrong discs again so not to send it.

When the first set arrived I had to pay the expected customs charges . I told the seller that if they were intent on sending a replacement set they needed to mark the value down as zero or I would get charges again but they didn't do that either so when it was due to be delivered I refused to accept it because of the charges.

So I said I would return the initial set for a refund but they said they would not give a refund unless I accepted the replacement.

At this point I had to contact Amazon who were very understanding and agreed I should not have to pay a second lot of charges for a replacement item that cost me nothing. They contacted the seller who refused to budge. In the event I got a full refund for not only the full cost of the initial set which I got to keep but also for the charges that purchase had incurred so I got the whole set for free so I didn't mind spending a few pound on Skype once I'd tracked down the details for how to get the corrected discs.

Also Canada sent me a heavily discounted item but listed the value on the customs list as its original price so the customs charges were going to be high instead of zero . Once again I conversed with Live Chat who contacted the courier and paid the incorrect charges themselves.

If an item is faulty you should get 100% refund not 25% . I suggest Live Chat might help.

I was referring to collectors rather than the general mass market.

A $150 Limited Edition nor many of the Batman releases have been aimed at the mass market.
Hi David!

I can see that you've had some headaches of your own with sellers! I'm glad that these ultimately worked out in your favor.

As I mentioned previously, my issue with U.S. Amazon regarding my return shipment. In reading their policy about international returns, I was aware that the limit of compensation would be $15. As I wanted to ensure that my return item would be traceable, I paid just a little over $16 to ship, and was thus aware that I wouldn't be fully compensated. However, much to my chagrin, Amazon only compensated me for $3.98! On top of this, I also lost out on the $8 import fee that was automatically charged to me once the order had been shipped, which I do understand, is non-refundable. All of this for a DVD set that had a list price of about $39!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For me, it's the end of week 2 following my Disc Replacement Request for BATMAN, SEASON ONE , and I have yet to receive either the Disc Shipped Notification or the Disc itself.

Here's hoping that I receive at least one of these by the end of week 3...Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel! (Or Sooner!)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
Tony, best advice is to call their customer service number at 1-800-553-6937, then let them know which set your purchased and they should be able to help you secure the corrected disc(s) for the specific set you bought and they should be able to ship them out soon.
Hi Richard!

Thank you very kindly, but as I already called this past Monday, the earliest I'd be calling again for the purpose you stated is the end of next week, as per Sherry Bogart of Warner's recommendation.

I was just simply being impatient. No, worries! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Bob Furmanek said:
Here's how the first episode was heard from 1966 to circa 1986 when the one-inch masters were created and someone pulled the wrong track element.

Hi Bob!

Was this the only narration missing from the initial BATMAN Complete Series/Season One Releases, or is there additional William Dozier narration from the first half of the HI-DIDDLE RIDDLE Pilot Episode?

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
jaws63 said:
Why people are so excited about these replacement discs is beyond me. I would have filled out the form long ago, but I know that even with the two corrections made...the series is still not complete. I have audio cassette tapes that were recorded in the 90's when FX aired the show. I have the audio of where Alfred meets up with a security guard, before ever visiting Batman in jail. this scene takes place in "Catwoman goes to college" and is not on this dvd set.

This begs to question, "was there anything else missed?" I've come to the conclusion, that I might have to except this set as is...the picture quality IS fantastic, so even if there is anything else missing, it isn't anything that compromises the shows fluidity.

In weeks to come you'll hear more about this, as I will provide you with an upload with proof of my claim.
Hi John!

Might you be providing us with your stated proof anytime soon?

CHEERS!

Tony

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Bob!

Was this the only narration missing from the initial BATMAN Complete Series/Season One Releases, or is there additional William Dozier narration from the first half of the HI-DIDDLE RIDDLE Pilot Episode?

CHEERS!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes, that is the only narration missing and it has finally been restored to the iconic first episode.

You can now see AND hear the show exactly as first aired on the ABC network!

Best,

Bob

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Bob Furmanek said:
Hi Tony,

Yes, that is the only narration missing and it has finally been restored to the iconic first episode.

You can now see AND hear the show exactly as first aired on the ABC network!

Best,

Bob
Hi Bob!

Thank you very much for your kind response to my query!

I've also posted some of your most valued information pertaining to this iconic pilot episode in a comment below the YouTube clip of this scene under my Tboneator64 moniker.

Kind Regards,

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks