What's new

Batman DVD Set Missing Tag Scene In S2 Episode (1 Viewer)

jaws63

Auditioning
Real Name
john
jaws63 said:
jaws63, on 31 Jan 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

I guess not.

I guess my lack of fulfilling my promise of tangible proof, means I was wrong. I do think my comments warrant an explanation.

This past year has been very scary for me. I had not just one, but two surgeries. I first had my gallbladder removed, which went terribly wrong...resulting in having a second surgery where I had to have my liver fixed, I nearly died.

I had a lot of time on my hands during my recovery phase, during a deep cleaning project- I came across some old cassette tapes(Audio versions of the entire 120 episodes of the 66 Batman) from which I converted from VHS. As mentioned these VCR recordings were taken from the Family channel, Sci-fi, FX, and TVland airings in the 90's. We all know that these airings were cut and edited, but since I had noticed that the cuts were in different places(depending on the channel it was being aired), my Idea was to splice everything together to get the most content possible. This conversion process was completed in 2002. I swear, by all that's holy...I thought I recorded a security guard scene in "Catwoman goes to college" in that VCR recording...which came from the FX airing, but when I reviewed my audio tapes a few weeks ago, it was not there.

Now keep in mind, I left Buffalo N.Y. in 2003...I moved to Alabama to stay with my brother for a short while- than moved to Guam in 2004. Even though my audio tapes DID travel with me...the VHS tapes did not, they are in my ex-wife's possession. I realize this all sounds quite convenient, but I can only draw two conclusions. Either, the "security guard" scene is indeed there, that by the time I got to this episode I got lazy in my splicing or my memory is indeed faulty.

If you go to the "66Batman message boards" there is a "Missing scenes" thread in the "Merchandise" column where I go into great detail about a missing scene in the pilot. Now not just one, but several posters responded by saying that they too thought they remembered seeing that same scene. I realize this isn't exactly tangible proof, further 10 seconds of missing footage that doesn't change the flow of the episode or the composition of what we know of the series is hardly anything to worry about. The flipside of this argument however is that a part of why I'm so adamant about this "security guard" scene is that "I can see his face, I can here his voice" I just can't place the actors name. I've seen him in other shows. I'll research that later, I'll be back with the actors name. What I was saying though is that since the cameo appearances are so important to us, If what I'm saying IS correct, the editing out of any particular actor would certainly be significant.

I'm a collector of Classic TV shows, "The Brady Bunch" "Hawaii five-oh" and "The adventures of Superman" all have been scrutinized as having missing footage. We would be naïve to think that "Everything" is intact.

One more point I want to put out there. IF......any footage was lost somewhere in the transfers they might be traced back unless it was lost from the "original" copy. If that's the case, it would be permanently lost. Old fashion memory would have to be confirmed.

One more quick point I just realized, the opening narration in the pilot was common knowledge, this was on youtube long before this official release. The bootlegs that were floating around HAS the Marsha tag intact, this boots also have ALL the "next .week bumpers, even that special bat-arsenal promo(even though without audio) was also on these boots....it's not a surprise that these were noticed missing in the set. What I question is from which print(s) did WB use to make this set, the one's currently out there? Like I said, IF there was any footage lost in the original copies, it would certainly not be on these current prints. and confirmation would be the only way to authenticate one's memory.

jaws63

Auditioning
Real Name
john
jaws63 said:
jaws63, on 31 Jan 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

I guess not.

I guess my lack of fulfilling my promise of tangible proof, means I was wrong. I do think my comments warrant an explanation.

This past year has been very scary for me. I had not just one, but two surgeries. I first had my gallbladder removed, which went terribly wrong...resulting in having a second surgery where I had to have my liver fixed, I nearly died.

I had a lot of time on my hands during my recovery phase, during a deep cleaning project- I came across some old cassette tapes(Audio versions of the entire 120 episodes of the 66 Batman) from which I converted from VHS. As mentioned these VCR recordings were taken from the Family channel, Sci-fi, FX, and TVland airings in the 90's. We all know that these airings were cut and edited, but since I had noticed that the cuts were in different places(depending on the channel it was being aired), my Idea was to splice everything together to get the most content possible. This conversion process was completed in 2002. I swear, by all that's holy...I thought I recorded a security guard scene in "Catwoman goes to college" in that VCR recording...which came from the FX airing, but when I reviewed my audio tapes a few weeks ago, it was not there.

Now keep in mind, I left Buffalo N.Y. in 2003...I moved to Alabama to stay with my brother for a short while- than moved to Guam in 2004. Even though my audio tapes DID travel with me...the VHS tapes did not, they are in my ex-wife's possession. I realize this all sounds quite convenient, but I can only draw two conclusions. Either, the "security guard" scene is indeed there, that by the time I got to this episode I got lazy in my splicing or my memory is indeed faulty.

If you go to the "66Batman message boards" there is a "Missing scenes" thread in the "Merchandise" column where I go into great detail about a missing scene in the pilot. Now not just one, but several posters responded by saying that they too thought they remembered seeing that same scene. I realize this isn't exactly tangible proof, further 10 seconds of missing footage that doesn't change the flow of the episode or the composition of what we know of the series is hardly anything to worry about. The flipside of this argument however is that a part of why I'm so adamant about this "security guard" scene is that "I can see his face, I can here his voice" I just can't place the actors name. I've seen him in other shows. I'll research that later, I'll be back with the actors name. What I was saying though is that since the cameo appearances are so important to us, If what I'm saying IS correct, the editing out of any particular actor would certainly be significant.

I'm a collector of Classic TV shows, "The Brady Bunch" "Hawaii five-oh" and "The adventures of Superman" all have been scrutinized as having missing footage. We would be naïve to think that "Everything" is intact.

One more point I want to put out there. IF......any footage was lost somewhere in the transfers they might be traced back unless it was lost from the "original" copy. If that's the case, it would be permanently lost. Old fashion memory would have to be confirmed.

One more quick point I just realized, the opening narration in the pilot was common knowledge, this was on youtube long before this official release. The bootlegs that were floating around HAS the Marsha tag intact, this boots also have ALL the "next .week bumpers, even that special bat-arsenal promo(even though without audio) was also on these boots....it's not a surprise that these were noticed missing in the set. What I question is from which print(s) did WB use to make this set, the one's currently out there? Like I said, IF there was any footage lost in the original copies, it would certainly not be on these current prints. and confirmation would be the only way to authenticate one's memory.

The actor I was thinking of was Jess Kirkpatrick.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Just an update for those like me, late to the party:

The price for the complete blu-ray set finally came down to "affordable for me," and I bit on March 11th.

It was a copy with the first-release discs (material missing), so I filed for replacement discs online as outlined earlier in this thread.
Heard nothing, until today (April 3rd): the replacement discs were sitting patiently on my doorstep.

So, while there are undoubtedly still defective sets in the market, Warner Bros. is still honoring their commitment to make them right.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just an update for those like me, late to the party:

The price for the complete blu-ray set finally came down to "affordable for me," and I bit on March 11th.

It was a copy with the first-release discs (material missing), so I filed for replacement discs online as outlined earlier in this thread.
Heard nothing, until today (April 3rd): the replacement discs were sitting patiently on my doorstep.

So, while there are undoubtedly still defective sets in the market, Warner Bros. is still honoring their commitment to make them right.
Hi Dave!

Warner is quite good in that respect, and I'm glad to hear that you received the replacement discs in a timely fashion! The BATMAN '66 TV series sure looks excellent on Blu-ray!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It's sad and unfortunate as it gives us yet another reminder that this wildly vibrant colorful era of 60s TV that looks like yesterday in HD transfers is as far away to us as World War I was to them. The great thing about Adam's life is that despite his career setbacks because of the role he didn't let himself be destroyed by that the way George Reeves sadly was. RIP.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys

I'm very late to the party.

I was reminded that I have the released Batman blu ray set. And I never got around to requesting the replacement discs. So this past weekend I did a search and found the Warners website for replacement of Batman discs. The site asked for my name and address, UPC code on the box, formate DVD or Blu Ray and if it is a Special Edition collector box.

I received an email confirmation from Warner they got my meassage yesterday and that fulfillment of replacement discs begins mid February 2015. So hopefully it's still good and they will send me the discs.

Thought I'd post here in case anyone else was late in applying. Hopefully you got your replacements. Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson, if you don't get anything, let me know and I can PM you an email address for Sheri Bogard, who handles WB customer service for these things (and is wonderful to deal with).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Josh, thank you for the reply and offer for Sheri Bogard's contact info.

I guess I can wait a few days, a week. I don't imagine I'll receive an email reply, will I?

If not I'll be in touch Josh, thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You know, I honestly can't recall if they emailed a follow-up or if the replacement discs just showed up in the mail.

Steven Hawk

Auditioning
Real Name
John Stilwell
I recorded the whole series of Batman to dvd in the early 00's from the FX channel and I can confirm there is no such scene as the one described with Alfred meeting a guard before he visits Batman in jail in "Catwoman Goes to College".

As already said , the running time discrepancy that gave away the missing Marsha footage is not present here so if the scene is recorded to audio tape it must be from a different episode
It's been 7 years since I last posted in this forum, so I had to re-register and I'm using a different user name(to avoid confusion, my old user name was jaws63). I'm weeks away from relocating from Guam to Tampa . I spoke to my ex-wife(who still lives in Buffalo), around Christmas time. She mentioned ti me that she still has my old VHS tapes I talked about earlier. Just to let others know, as I read and rehash what I wrote earlier, I realised that I was wrong about where I got the " Alfred meeting the aecurity guard" scene. It was not an FX recording, but a Sci-fi recording.

Living in Florida, I'm a lot closer to Buffalo N.Y. than I am now living Guam, and a lot more realistic for periodic visits. So soon I'll have positive proof to my claim.

Steven Hawk

Auditioning
Real Name
John Stilwell
Hi Jack!

That explains a lot!

CHEERS! :)

Tony
I can reasure you this guy Jack is referring to is someone totally different. What is ironic is that I remember all the hype around the missing scene in "Astin's" Riddler episode, and even I knew that the scene claimed to be missing was a bunch of bull. I'm not tfying to be a Debbie downer, it's been almost a decade now, that we've had this on dvd. I've watched the crap out of my set.....I love it. I even put my tail between my legs and got the replacement discs. What can I say, I've been a fan of this show since the age of 3( I just turned 58 last D ecember). In the 70s I seem to remember cassette recording the audio off the tv. It wasn't the whole series, it was just random episodes. I still had some of these cassettes when I went to boarding school(I spent my high school years away from home), anyways, my room mate at the time found it so cool to listen to the audio with me. ....I did not realise this show was "that" friendly with an audio version of it. I made it a life plan to have the entire series in an audio format( funny, Spotify has all 120 eps on audio right now).

Like I said, I'm not this guy Jack thinks I am, and I'm not one to create or believe in conspiracy theories. You will find out soon enough that I've been right, there are still missing footage in this dvd collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks