What's new

Batman anthology 1989-1997 UHD Blu Ray in June!!! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
LONG LIVE THE BAT

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

CELEBRATES THE 80TH ANNIVERSARY OF

DC’s POPULAR SUPER HERO BATMAN WITH

BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, BATMAN FOREVER

AND BATMAN & ROBIN

COMING TO ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMBO PACK

AND DIGITAL FOR THE FIRST TIME

FEATURING DOLBY ATMOS

4K Ultra HD Combo Packs will also include a remastered Blu-ray Disc

BURBANK, CA, APRIL 2, 2019 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC announced today that four Batman titles will be released on 4K UHD to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the DC Super Hero created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger. The films include 1989’s Batman and 1992’s Batman Returns, directed by Tim Burton, and 1995’s Batman Forever and 1997’s Batman & Robin, directed by Joel Schumacher. The four films, which earned more than $1.2 billion in global box office, have been remastered in 4K UHD for the first time.

The films will be available as 4K UHD singles on June 4 and will also be available as a four-film collection on September 17. The 4K UHD singles and the four-film collection available in September will also include remastered Blu-ray discs of the films.

Ultra HD* showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray discs of Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin will feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin will be available on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack for $41.99 SRP and feature an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR and digitally remastered Blu-ray disc of the films. Fans can also own Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on June 4. The singles and the four-film collection will include collectible packaging with new art designed in stunning glossy retro colors reminiscent of the 1980’s and 1990’s era when the films were originally released in theaters. The 4K UHD, Blu-ray and Digital versions of the film will collectively include more than 17 hours of previously released extras, including full-length commentaries by director Tim Burton on Batman and Batman Returns and director Joel Schumacher on Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin will also be available on Movies Anywhere. Using the free Movies Anywhere app and website, consumers can access all their eligible movies by connecting their Movies Anywhere account with their participating digital retailer accounts.

1989’s Batman was directed by Tim Burton and stars Jack Nicolson as The Joker and Michael Keaton as the Caped Crusader. Produced by Jon Peters and Peter Guber from a screenplay by Sam Hamm and Warren Skaren, the film also stars Kim Basinger as Vicki Vale. The film won an Academy Award for Best Art Direction

1992’s Batman Returns was also directed by Burton and stars Keaton again as The Dark Knight. Produced Denise Di Novi and Burton, the screenplay is by Daniel Waters from a story by Waters and Sam Hamm. The film also stars Danny DeVito as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin, Michelle Pfeiffer and Selina Kyle/Catwoman and Christopher Walken as Max Shreck.

1995’s Batman Forever was directed by Joel Schumacher and stars Val Kilmer as Batman.

Produced by Tim Burton and Peter McGregor-Scott, the screenplay is by Lee Batchler, Janet Scott-Batchler and Akiva Goldsman from a story by Batchler and Batchler-Scott. The film also stars Tommy Lee Jones as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Jim Carrey and Edward Nygma/The Riddler, Nicole Kidman as Dr. Chase Meridian, and Chris O’Donnell as Dick Grayson/Robin.

1997’s Batman & Robin saw Joel Schumacher return as director and stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dr. Victor Fries/Mr. Freeze and George Clooney as Batman. The film was produced by Tim Burton McGregor-Scott and written by Akiva Goldsman and also stars Chris O’Donnell as Dick Grayson/Robin, Uma Thurman as Dr. Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy, and Alicia Silverstone as Barbara Wilson/Batgirl.

SYNOPSIS

Batman

The Dark Knight of Gotham City begins his war on crime with his first major enemy being the clownishly homicidal Joker.

Batman Returns

When a corrupt businessman and the grotesque Penguin plot to take control of Gotham City, only Batman can stop them, while the Catwoman has her own agenda.

Batman Forever

Batman must battle former district attorney Harvey Dent, who is now Two-Face and Edward Nygma, The Riddler with help from an amorous psychologist and a young circus acrobat who becomes his sidekick, Robin.

Batman & Robin

Batman and Robin try to keep their relationship together even as they must stop Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy from freezing Gotham City.

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

On June 4, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin 4K UHD will be available to own for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on favorite devices from select digital retailers including GooglePlay, Vudu, Xbox and others, and will be made available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

ABOUT DIGITAL

*Digital movies or TV episodes allow fans to watch a digital version of their movie or TV show anywhere, on their favorite devices. Digital movies or TV episodes are included with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs. With digital, consumers are able to instantly stream and download movies and TV shows to TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones through retail services like CinemaNow, Flixster Video, Vudu and more. For more information on compatible devices and services go to wb.com/digitalmoviefaq. Consult a digital retailer for details and requirements and for a list of digital-compatible devices.

ABOUT MOVIES ANYWHERE

Movies Anywhere is a digital movie platform that enables movie fans to discover, access, and watch their favorite digital movies in one place. Movies Anywhere brings together a library of nearly 7,500 digital movies from Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox Film, The Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Pixar, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm), Universal Pictures (including DreamWorks and Illumination Entertainment) and Warner Bros., and will continue to expand the consumer experience as more content providers, digital retailers and platforms are added. By connecting participating digital retailers that include Amazon Prime Video, FandangoNOW, Google Play, iTunes and Vudu, movie fans can now bring together their digital movie collections (whether purchased or redeemed) in one place and enjoy them from the comfort of their living rooms, and across multiple devices and platforms, including Amazon Fire devices; Android devices and Android TV; Apple TV; Chromecast; iPhone, iPad and iPod touch; Roku® devices and popular browsers. Movie fans can also redeem digital codes found in eligible Blu-ray and DVD disc packages from participating studios and enjoy them through Movies Anywhere. Movies Anywhere – your movies, together at last.

BASICS

PRODUCT SRP

Ultra HD Blu-ray $41.99

Ultra HD Digital $29.99

Ultra HD Blu-ray Four-Film Collection (9/17) $90.00

Standard Street Date: June 4, 2019

EST Street Date: June 4, 2019

Four-Film Collection Street Date: September 17, 2019

Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Castilian Spanish, Canadian French, Parisian French, German, Italian, Japanese

Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, Castilian Spanish, Parisian French, German, Italian, Japanese

Running Time: Batman - 126 minutes, Batman Returns – 126 minutes, Batman Forever – 121 minutes, Batman & Robin – 124 minutes

Rating: Rated PG-13

DOLBY ATMOS [CC]

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I like that the press release stated that the included BD copies will be the remastered versions - that might encourage me to get these in advance of a UHD player.

Yes, and this is kind of unprecedented, isn't it? Actually making a point to announce it in the press release I mean? Great news for those folks who aren't 4K capable yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, and this is kind of unprecedented, isn't it? Actually making a point to announce it in the press release I mean? Great news for those folks who aren't 4K capable yet.
Warner has been criticized a great deal here for not upgrading the included Blu-rays with 4K/UHD releases.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I saw Batman so many times when that came out.
It was the first superhero movie that came out while I was an adult.
We knew someone at a movie theater so we got to see it before it was open to the public and we we comic book guys so we freaked out about the whole thing.
My friend and I just went bonkers over it.

Saw it probably 10 times at the movies and that the most I’ve ever seen a movie at the movies.

At the beginning of dvd I bought Batman and Returns and a few others when they first came out. I still have the dvds.
Bought the four movie box set.
Bought the four movie Blu-ray set as individuals for $20 and put them in the dvd box set.

That being said I cannot remember the last time I watched anything other then Batman.
Batman barely holds up now for me and the last three are nearly unwatchable.
I never liked Burton’s take on penguin. Never.
He was actually eating fish I think and always had black goo coming out of his mouth.

And wasn’t Penguin trying to kill or eat babies or something?

It’s doubtful that I’ll buy these on disc again but if I can get them inexpensive on 4K digital then I’ll be fine.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I've been a huge Batman fan all my life and I'm sure I'll get these once the price comes down. Still waiting for a good deal for the Nolan trilogy. Batman '89 and Batman Returns will always be my favorite ones. They seemed more like a comic book movie to me. Don't care much for BF and I look at B&R as a kids movie so I can watch it as long as it's on a Saturday morning and I'm eating my Coco Pebbles. I didn't care much for the Nolan trilogy but have warmed up to it over the years. Still has too much of a serious tone for me. In the meantime, I'll just have to make due with the current blu-rays.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

2001 a space odyssey is the only other title that I know of that upgraded both copies UHd and Blu-ray Discs.

It was one reason why I waited on mission impossible 1996 UHd Blu Ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed the original Anthology on Blu-ray when it first came out, but I'd have to look up that old review to see what I thought they looked like (saw all of them at the theater upon release). I rarely have revisited them once the Nolan films appeared, but that might make an interesting few afternoons seeing if I want to invest in upgraded editions. Probably not though.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Batman on blu looks like a 720p upscale to my eyes. This new release is welcome.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed the original Anthology on Blu-ray when it first came out, but I'd have to look up that old review to see what I thought they looked like (saw all of them at the theater upon release). I rarely have revisited them once the Nolan films appeared, but that might make an interesting few afternoons seeing if I want to invest in upgraded editions. Probably not though.
For those interested, I found my original review of the first Blu-ray set. It's here.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I always assumed Batman '89 was a a straight port of the 6-tracks and it was just never that great a mix in the first place. Lets see how this Atmos overhaul turns out.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
For those interested, I found my original review of the first Blu-ray set. It's here.
Wow! Really excited about the UHd release now.

I recently watched the first 3 films.

I wish the box set was coming in June.

These films all came out in my teens and twenties. They were fun films and I love revisiting them.
I loved the Nolan films when I saw them theatrically but I never watch them or am in the mood to do so.
I actually feel the same way about the Daniel Craig Bond films.
Something was lost for me with both series of films.
Even with the realism and darkness factors of both. I know that is the popular trend now.

I’ll see the next Batman film and bond 25 as I’m a fan of course.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
You know, I can REALLY appreciate the “real life” aspect of the Nolan films, even if I don’t prefer it in a Batman universe. But one thing I cannot stand is the dialogue and how the characters act. I don’t feel like I’m watching real people talking. I feel like I’m watching a sub-par tv show, and the pacing of the films is such as well. And yeah, movies in general can be like that, but there’s something about these Nolan Bat movies that are just awful in this regard. And I’ve like every other Nolan film I’ve seen.

What I do like about the Nolan films: Heath Ledger as the joker. Gary Oldman (a very underrated performance). The Harvey Dent arc in TDK. That’s about it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So it sounds like the biggest leaps in quality would be related to the first film, which suffered both in video and audio quality on the prior blu.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I am a big Bats fan. I like even the Batman show from the 60's. That being said, I prefer the Nolan films as they see a more serious take on the character while the Burton films, while very stylish, approach the campy-ness of the Batman TV series. And while Keaton did well since he is quite talented, I still say he was miscast. Bruce Wayne in the Burton films was no playboy, just someone brooding at home waiting for the bat signal to appear. So no, I would not consider Burton a classic interpretation either but find Nolan's closer (of course we have to define classic interpretation since the character has been around for some 80 years).

The then-surviving stars of the 60s series discussed the "new" film in an interview upon release in '89, and the overall consensus as I recall is polite dismissal of the film as too dark. Romero in particular was not sold on a Nicholson Joker.

Funny how our perspectives change. :)

Perhaps "accurate" is a better term than "classic." Accurate to the standard character portrayals and the Batman world is what stands a chance at becoming classic for me; working within that standard to make something new is great and I feel the Burton films do that. They feel like Burton-esque versions of classic Batman. An interpretation that intentionally and aggressively deviates from the standard, like the Nolan films, will always have an albatross around its neck. But at the same time I love seeing new interpretations and, strangely, have affection for the Nolan films. And I'm now eager to see Joker '19 too where I was ambiguous about it before.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The more realistic a film tried to be the more unrealistic it is. Movies are movies.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
All I hope is I never have to read the following ever again...

-Its the wrong colors! (oh no its less green...)

-It should be full frame! (Uhh no actually Batman '89 was shot 1.66, in fact it was the only one of the og franchise to be hard matted outside of VFX. Trust me, I've seen the prints!)

-WHERE'S THE ORIGINAL MIX?!? (it was on there, with a minor stereo effect in the rears)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
2001 a space odyssey is the only other title that I know of that upgraded both copies UHd and Blu-ray Discs.

It was one reason why I waited on mission impossible 1996 UHd Blu Ray.

Warner had remastered Blu-rays packaged with the UHD releases of Unforgiven and the Matrix films, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks