1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Batman anthology 1989-1997 UHD Blu Ray in June!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Osato, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Osato

Osato Producer

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Bat Nipples in 4K! Woo-hoo! ;)

3. Osato

Osato Producer

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Over time, those earlier Batman movies have diminished for me. I'm a much bigger fan of the Nolan Batman films. I won't be buying these 4K discs, but will perhaps buy the 4K digital if available on iTunes for the right price.

Jimbo64 and Brian L like this.
  5. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I’ll gladly take the Burton films. Returns is actually a movie I find watching most often in recent years, it’s just so fun a crazy and weird. Bo Welch made that movie so much fun to look at.

Richard V, Osato and TravisR like this.
  6. Osato

Osato Producer

I love Batman Returns too! I’m planning on picking up the box set on September.

7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m not UHD capable yet, but I’ve always been underwhelmed by the Blu-ray presentations. This is something I’d upgrade on once I do go UHD just for the better transfer more so than the extra resolution.

Osato likes this.
  8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Feel the same way. For some reason, they seem awfully outdated.

9. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Like the 2 Burton films, especially Batman Returns but much prefer the Nolan films. Can’t stomach the Joel Schumachers other than for the production design. But glad to see these are coming to 4K for their fans.

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I still love the first Batman and vividly remember how it dominated pop culture when it came out. It's awful but I also can't look away from Batman & Robin when I stumble across it. Its badness deserves to be studied.

I, however, hate those covers. They don't fit the tone and look of the movies at all.

dpippel likes this.
  11. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

Interesting how folks prefer the Nolan films, especially since some time has passed since they were made. Do you guys consider yourselves big Batman fans? I see how the Burton films are dated, but Nolan is quite stylized and not just visually (Bale's Wayne is a jerk instead of a modest playboy, Joker is a punk and not really a clown, etc).

It's more Batman for today I suppose, but it's not what I would consider a classic interpretation. Or do you just prefer Nolan as film buffs or because they're not as dated?

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have also grown to prefer the newer Nolan Batman films but there is still something to be said about the original movies and I would like to have a better transfer than what is on the dvd. The first with Nicholson is the best of the group and they did not age well but I will be purchasing them anyway.

IMG_2258a.

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I like the Nolan films because they try to tell the story as if it were possible in the real world. There’s obvuously stuff that’s not possible in them, but they have what Walt Disney used to call, a sense of the “plausible impossible.” So the Joker isn’t literally a clown, and Bale’s Wayne presents himself in social circles as an aloof jerk to dispel any potential suspicions. I buy that if a vigilante like Batman existed, the Nolan movies are probably closer to how it could happen, and that that truth would form the basis of an exaggerated telling that would be what the comics and less realistic movies are adept at portraying.

I have room in my heart for both versions.

What I’d love to see is a modern, continuing series of Batman films that continues the characterization from film to film but wasn’t a single story broken into parts. I’d love to see the same actor playing Batman as many times as Robert Downey Jr has played Tony Stark.

joshEH, DavidJ and Traveling Matt like this.
  14. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I'm actually considering getting this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie-collection/superman-batman-11-film-set/id1454564031 on iTunes as it contains all five Supermans and the four Batmans for $45 or $5/film. You get Superman in 4K and in June the four Batmans should automatically upgrade to 4K. And then you would be future-proofed for 4K versions of Superman 2-4 and Superman Returns whenever that happens. If you are only interested in the four Batman films then there is this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie-collection/id885658599 for $25.
    However one word of warning, in purchasing bundles at iTunes you get the films in 4K when available and free 4K upgrades, however bundled films DO NOT import in 4K to Movies Anywhere. I really wish they would fix that, because a 4K purchase should count as a 4K purchase regardless of whether or not it is in a bundle.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  15. Message #15 of 132 Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Osato likes this.
  16. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Like a lot of people, it's only the first two for me (& I don't like the Nolan films either). The last time I looked at the Batman Blu-ray & can remember thinking that it didn't look so hot & could do with a redo. I hope the new transfers will be available on standard Blu-ray.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Out of deference to those that love these films, I won't say anything more except the first Burton film I still like quite a lot.

Doug Pyle likes this.
  18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I will pick up the first two Burton films eventually - - the first one has always been a favorite of mine. Nicholson gives a great performance as the Joker, and I have always been a Burton fan. You couldn't get me to buy the other two films again at gun point, though.

I do love the Nolan films, too. I just consider them completely separate works to be enjoyed differently, just as I do the Adam West TV series and animated series.

19. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    Great news

Osato likes this.
  20. Osato

Osato Producer

I’m waiting for the anthology box set in September.

Hoping we can get some black spinal tap Nolan UHd Blu Ray covers as they used for the Nolan UHd Batman films. Cause those were fantastic?

It’s funny to me how much complaining covers bring about. I usually watch the film, and not the covers.

I get what wb is doing with the covers and making them look different from the previous releases.