What's new

Batman anthology 1989-1997 UHD Blu Ray in June!!! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’ll gladly take the Burton films. Returns is actually a movie I find watching most often in recent years, it’s just so fun a crazy and weird. Bo Welch made that movie so much fun to look at.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’ll gladly take the Burton films. Returns is actually a movie I find watching most often in recent years, it’s just so fun a crazy and weird. Bo Welch made that movie so much fun to look at.

I love Batman Returns too! I’m planning on picking up the box set on September.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not UHD capable yet, but I’ve always been underwhelmed by the Blu-ray presentations. This is something I’d upgrade on once I do go UHD just for the better transfer more so than the extra resolution.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Over time, those earlier Batman movies have diminished for me. I'm a much bigger fan of the Nolan Batman films. I won't be buying these 4K discs, but will perhaps buy the 4K digital if available on iTunes for the right price.

Feel the same way. For some reason, they seem awfully outdated.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Like the 2 Burton films, especially Batman Returns but much prefer the Nolan films. Can’t stomach the Joel Schumachers other than for the production design. But glad to see these are coming to 4K for their fans.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I still love the first Batman and vividly remember how it dominated pop culture when it came out. It's awful but I also can't look away from Batman & Robin when I stumble across it. Its badness deserves to be studied.

I, however, hate those covers. They don't fit the tone and look of the movies at all.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Interesting how folks prefer the Nolan films, especially since some time has passed since they were made. Do you guys consider yourselves big Batman fans? I see how the Burton films are dated, but Nolan is quite stylized and not just visually (Bale's Wayne is a jerk instead of a modest playboy, Joker is a punk and not really a clown, etc).

It's more Batman for today I suppose, but it's not what I would consider a classic interpretation. Or do you just prefer Nolan as film buffs or because they're not as dated?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Over time, those earlier Batman movies have diminished for me. I'm a much bigger fan of the Nolan Batman films. I won't be buying these 4K discs, but will perhaps buy the 4K digital if available on iTunes for the right price.

I have also grown to prefer the newer Nolan Batman films but there is still something to be said about the original movies and I would like to have a better transfer than what is on the dvd. The first with Nicholson is the best of the group and they did not age well but I will be purchasing them anyway.

IMG_2258a.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I like the Nolan films because they try to tell the story as if it were possible in the real world. There’s obvuously stuff that’s not possible in them, but they have what Walt Disney used to call, a sense of the “plausible impossible.” So the Joker isn’t literally a clown, and Bale’s Wayne presents himself in social circles as an aloof jerk to dispel any potential suspicions. I buy that if a vigilante like Batman existed, the Nolan movies are probably closer to how it could happen, and that that truth would form the basis of an exaggerated telling that would be what the comics and less realistic movies are adept at portraying.

I have room in my heart for both versions.

What I’d love to see is a modern, continuing series of Batman films that continues the characterization from film to film but wasn’t a single story broken into parts. I’d love to see the same actor playing Batman as many times as Robert Downey Jr has played Tony Stark.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm actually considering getting this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie-collection/superman-batman-11-film-set/id1454564031 on iTunes as it contains all five Supermans and the four Batmans for $45 or $5/film. You get Superman in 4K and in June the four Batmans should automatically upgrade to 4K. And then you would be future-proofed for 4K versions of Superman 2-4 and Superman Returns whenever that happens. If you are only interested in the four Batman films then there is this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie-collection/id885658599 for $25.
However one word of warning, in purchasing bundles at iTunes you get the films in 4K when available and free 4K upgrades, however bundled films DO NOT import in 4K to Movies Anywhere. I really wish they would fix that, because a 4K purchase should count as a 4K purchase regardless of whether or not it is in a bundle.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Like a lot of people, it's only the first two for me (& I don't like the Nolan films either). The last time I looked at the Batman Blu-ray & can remember thinking that it didn't look so hot & could do with a redo. I hope the new transfers will be available on standard Blu-ray.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will pick up the first two Burton films eventually - - the first one has always been a favorite of mine. Nicholson gives a great performance as the Joker, and I have always been a Burton fan. You couldn't get me to buy the other two films again at gun point, though.

I do love the Nolan films, too. I just consider them completely separate works to be enjoyed differently, just as I do the Adam West TV series and animated series.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m waiting for the anthology box set in September.

Hoping we can get some black spinal tap Nolan UHd Blu Ray covers as they used for the Nolan UHd Batman films. Cause those were fantastic?

It’s funny to me how much complaining covers bring about. I usually watch the film, and not the covers.

I get what wb is doing with the covers and making them look different from the previous releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks