What's new

Batman anthology 1989-1997 UHD Blu Ray in June!!! (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
WPIX in NY started showing the 60s show when the ‘89 movie came out - my parents showed that to me and I looooved it! (Still do!) Here’s the funny part - they told me the show was exactly the same as the ‘89 movie. Liars! :D

They are actually more right than wrong. The '89 movie, while a little darker than the TV show, is just as cartooney and even borrowed from it in the characterization of the Joker (the museum scene for example, just like the show). The same for Returns when Penguin is trying to me mayor. When I saw it with my father back then, he was disappointed with the film as he expected a more serious take on the character and thought it was still a little campy. I like the movie but it does share some of the characteristics of the TV show.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
A little, a lot whatever degree of darkness you wish to apply it still shares a lot with the TV show. And all the villains are just about as campy.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sorry, not as far as I'm concerned. The TV show DEFINED camp. Burton's two films? I don't really consider them or their villains campy, and I don't think they have much in common with the Adam West show at all (which I grew up on as a kid). Batman Forever/Batman and Robin however? Yeah, they really started to go there.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
The Burton films really grow over time and repeat viewings. They are extremely dark but also very stylized and admittedly there are a couple holdovers From the 66 series just as there are inspirations from the dark now legendary comics from the time.

I too watch all four at least every year and now I have sort of a soft spot for Batman and Robin despite its badness. I also like to re-read the novelizations which are all solid but the standouts are 89 and especially Forever which is essential.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
When I saw it with my father back then, he was disappointed with the film as he expected a more serious take on the character and thought it was still a little campy.

Yet McDonald's had pushback on the happy meal toys as the movie was too intense for kids (or so some adults thought). Lol. I was 9 and loved it.

But I'd never think to compare the 60s series. Nicholson and Devito may seem a little over the top compared to today's "real" (yet somehow less satisfying) villains, but there's nothing camp about the Burton films. They share much more in common with Nolan than with West.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The first Burton Batman film is still watchable. The second has only has about five minutes in it worth watching. The ones between that and Nolan's films are not worth watching even for free. Nolan's films are OK. Batman Returns is the most re-watchable one. The others in his run have pretty well been one watchers for me. I have not revisited them. In fact, i would probably watch Burton's first Batman film over any of Nolan's, other than Batman Returns.

I would probably buy the 4K set if it was sitting in a bargain bin, otherwise it would not be worth it for only one decent film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The first Burton Batman film is still watchable. The second has only has about five minutes in it worth watching. The ones between that and Nolan's films are not worth watching even for free. Nolan's films are OK. Batman Returns is the most re-watchable one. The others in his run have pretty well been one watchers for me. I have not revisited them. In fact, i would probably watch Burton's first Batman film over any of Nolan's, other than Batman Returns.

Nolan didn't direct Batman Returns, Burton did. Are you talking about Batman Begins?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m wondering why amazon isn’t listing the box set preorder yet.

I’m most likely going to go for this set instead of the individual discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks