What's new

Batman anthology 1989-1997 UHD Blu Ray in June!!! (1 Viewer)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
No thanks ! I Want to see 4K releases of Classic movies like ...The Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind, Ben-Hur, and The Wild Bunch ! All Anniversaries this year !!

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
I’m not UHD capable yet, but I’ve always been underwhelmed by the Blu-ray presentations. This is something I’d upgrade on once I do go UHD just for the better transfer more so than the extra resolution.

Same boat here, but I would happily upgrade if the BD discs are from the new master like the latest Matrix Trilogy. The UHD discs will sit tight until I pick up a new TV.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Good grief, those are perhaps the ugliest covers in the history of DVD/blu-ray/UHD.

Unless the box set has scores of extras (and decent artwork), I will not be getting this. The first film is a classic, the second is okay, but the third and fourth are two of the worst films I have ever seen. Just IMO.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Good grief, those are perhaps the ugliest covers in the history of DVD/blu-ray/UHD.

Unless the box set has scores of extras (and decent artwork), I will not be getting this. The first film is a classic, the second is okay, but the third and fourth are two of the worst films I have ever seen. Just IMO.

Totally agree. They are awful, awful covers.

And I know it was mentioned that the film is the most important aspect of the purchase, not the artwork. I disagree with that. I think really bad product artwork can somewhat ruin the collecting experience.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think really bad product artwork can somewhat ruin the collecting experience.

I liked the days when DVDs came in great packages (not boxes, but regular-sized cases) with things like lobby cards and reproductions of theater programs. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking about Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai and the Wizard of Oz. Blu-ray (and now UHD) has never matched the level of care that went into those.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My initial reaction is those covers are ugly. I'm all for color and brightness, but...yowza.

But here's the thing. My uneducated guess is that these titles are being released in early June, along with Batman vs. the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as a tie in for one of the home video releases of Shazam. If that's the case, Warner and DC are trying to tie in the lighter tone of the Shazam with the existing properties from DC Comics. These bright covers will catch your eye on the shelf and, presumably, feed into the tone they want to project.

Just a theory. But hey...we'll see when Shazam gets announced for home video.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I will always love the first two films. The hold up 100% for me. The third one has its moments and is still enjoyable. The fourth one... Wait... Did they make a fourth one? They didn't? Oh, good.

Those prices, though. Oof. Going to have to wait on these until the prices come down to something realistic. I don't know what WB is thinking, setting the initial prices so high on their catalog UHD releases. Heck, I waited until just this past weekend to pick up the Matrix trilogy, when I could get a good deal on at least the first two films. (Yes; I'm the one person who enjoys all three films, even with their huge faults.)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I guess I'm with most here. The first two films still work for me, despite the horribly outdated Prince Parade in the first Batman. Forever is 100% forgettable and suffers from the "too many villains" problem. Batman & Robin, well, it speaks for itself. A terrible train wreck of movie that in some ways is fun to watch in pieces simply because of its epic awfulness. I'll buy the two Burton films, but for the other two the current Blu-rays will suffice.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I purchased the first Anthology box on DVD, and never watched them. Still in shrink wrap.

Then I bought the Anthology on blu-ray, and still have not watched them. Still in shrink wrap.

I don't think I'll get the 4K versions unless they are found to be a marked improvement over the current discs and are offered at an irresistible price.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm with most here. The first two films still work for me, despite the horribly outdated Prince Parade in the first Batman. Forever is 100% forgettable and suffers from the "too many villains" problem.

But "BF" has only 2 villains - 1 fewer than either "BR" or "B&R"!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
But "BF" has only 2 villains - 1 fewer than either "BR" or "B&R"!

Two-Face counts as two. Duh! ;) Seriously though, for some reason I thought that Poison Ivy was also in Forever, but she' not. It's still a forgettable film for me.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Forever holds a lot of nostalgia with me since I was a mere 9 year old when I saw it. But even considering how much I liked it back in the day, I have a hard time watching it for the last decade or so. It’s really not very good, IMO, and my nostalgia really isn’t strong enough with this one.

Other than a few elements of TDK, I care little for the Nolan trilogy. I haven’t seen Rises since it was in theater and I haven’t watch Begins or TDK since before Rises.

So just Burton for me with the 4K releases. Though I do own and highly regard the 60’s blu-ray set and own the movie as well. Even those are more fun to watch than Batman and Robin.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hopefully the box set preorder is up soon.

On the single disc pricing, I’m sure they will be much lower at street date in June.

Disappointed that the box set is not being released in June.

I’m very close to purchasing a UHd tv. About another $100 left to save.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hopefully the box set preorder is up soon.

On the single disc pricing, I’m sure they will be much lower at street date in June.

Disappointed that the box set is not being released in June.

I’m very close to purchasing a UHd tv. About another $100 left to save.
Since it's not being released until September, I doubt it's going to be up before June.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Just asked my son what he thought about the covers. He said he likes them and the colors they used.

Really great video that I posted about how color is used in film posters. Very interesting!!!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Interesting how folks prefer the Nolan films, especially since some time has passed since they were made. Do you guys consider yourselves big Batman fans? I see how the Burton films are dated, but Nolan is quite stylized and not just visually (Bale's Wayne is a jerk instead of a modest playboy, Joker is a punk and not really a clown, etc).

It's more Batman for today I suppose, but it's not what I would consider a classic interpretation. Or do you just prefer Nolan as film buffs or because they're not as dated?

I am a big Bats fan. I like even the Batman show from the 60's. That being said, I prefer the Nolan films as they see a more serious take on the character while the Burton films, while very stylish, approach the campy-ness of the Batman TV series. And while Keaton did well since he is quite talented, I still say he was miscast. Bruce Wayne in the Burton films was no playboy, just someone brooding at home waiting for the bat signal to appear. So no, I would not consider Burton a classic interpretation either but find Nolan's closer (of course we have to define classic interpretation since the character has been around for some 80 years).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks