What's new

Bass/Receiver Issue please help! (1 Viewer)

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
I have been having a issue with my receiver and subwoofer in that everytime their is a deep low frequency part in a movie or game the subwoofer distorts at even the half way mark. I thought at first it was the receiver, which was a 5 year old onkyo, so i replaced it with a new one that was up to date, which was the SR505 model. The problem still persisted so i bought a brand new velodyne sub which is the VRP-1200 model. But much to my disapointment the problem was still there!!! I tried purchasing a new sub cable, new optical cables, and nothing helps!!! I even had my velodyne sent back to be repaired and they told me their was nothing wrong with the sub! please someone help me, the onkyo guy and the people in circuit city had no clue as to what is causing my problem. Only thing that seems to help is when i turn the sub ALL the way down to the point i can't even hear it anymore. Doesn't that defeat the point in having a subwoofer in the first place? Please someone help

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
What is your crossover set at? Have you calibrated using a SPL meter? I saw that the specs on your sub show it rated down to 29hz. "deep low frequency" in a movie is usually around 20hz and lower. You may be trying to make the sub do something that it wasn't designed for. Just my thoughts.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I vote on lower than 20hz. I demoed my system last night for the DirecTV installed and used the "Jurrasic Park 3" T-Rex fight scene. That has a lot material below 20hz. When I finally get around to buying "Transformers", it is loaded with subsonic material. Jeff, what movies are causing these issues?

A suggestion. Stay away from subs sold at the big box stores. They will not perform to your expectations. SVS, Hsu, ED and Epik are some names to look into. Even better is DIY. I'm in the middle of upgrading from dual 15's to quad 18's.

-Robert

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
Hey guys i appreciate you taking the time to give me support on this. I have my crossover set to 150 hz, which was set automatically by the calibrater that came with the receiver. My speaker levels are also set from that. I've tried running my sub at different crossover levels but it doesn't help the problem. Last night i watched movies on standard pcm, instead of dolby D or DTS soundtracks and the bass issue wasn't there. I guess thats because not much bass was being sent to the sub on a analong signal. You guys really think that my 400$ veoldyne doesn't have enough muscle? From all the reviews i read on it, no one else had this problem, and i didn't hear one negative thing about it. And from what i've read in these forums and from other sites, i haven't seen anyone that has had this issue. Usually people have problems with their subs not producing enough bass. And wouldn't i have to put the volume of the sub ALL the way up to run it to hot? I only have it at half way volume. Well get back to me, and thanks again!

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
And if my sub isn't up to the task what subwoofer do you guys recommend and where is a good place to shop for it?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have never listened to a veoldyne, but I have read many good things about the brand. Since you have replaced the receiver and sub, another big factor is your room acoustics. If it has enough muscle depends on how large your room is and where in the room it is located.

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
I've located my sub very well in my room, and i made sure the crossover was set right. You said that i sould choose a sub that goes down to at least 20hz, is this a good option for me? It wouldn't allow me to post a link so i'll just read off the model and name of the sub and u can check it out. Its a BUTTKICKER-LFE. The specs say it goes down to 5 hz!!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
This is not a sub. It is a seat shaker.
I currently use a SVS PB12-NSD rated to 18hz. Their PB10-NSD is in your price range, has twice the wattage of your current sub, and is rated to 20hz.

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
Wow i just looked at the specs for the PB10-NSD , and it sounds pretty tight. If only i would have known this before i bought a new sub...:frowning: . So do you think if i get this sub it would fix my problem? Thanks again man for takin the time!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
My guess (and I am not an expert) is that your current sub is trying to produce a frequency that it was not intended for. The lower the frequency, the more power is needed. Even though the volume is 1/2 way up, it could be exceeding the power supply. I replaced 2 subs (Sony and a JBL) with one SVS PB12-NSD. The JBL did distort at times and it's volume was set at 1/3rd. The SVS made a big improvement. If you really get into it, add a parametric equalizer to flatten out all your bass frequencies.

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
Yea, i'm going to seriously consider getting the SVS you showed me. Do dvds or hd-dvd/blu-ray movies ever go lower than 20 hz?

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
Another question for you, does my onkyo SR505 put out enough power for the SVS sub that i want to get?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The SVS has it's own power supply. Just use a RCA wire from the LFE on your receiver.

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
Thanks again man, you've helped me more than anybody else has. So i'm assuming the SVS sub i'm getting can handle anything i throw at it now. Just out of curiosity, what all do you have in your setup? Any pics of it you could send me?

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
Your theatre setup is impressive to say the least. I see that your a big Star Wars fan, so am i. I guess everyone is when you think about it, but no i'm 23 and still live with my parents.lol When i move out and get my own house later in life i want to build my own home theatre similar to the one you have. I have a 6.1 speaker setup in my bedroom. It's a very large bedroom, more like the size of a small living room, but it's still just a bedroom, not very big. I'm also a big gamer, play alot of 360, and hopefully will get a 32 inch samsung hd tv for christmas. I'm also going to buy the hd-dvd player that hooks directly to the 360. My setup must sound very tame when compared to yours, but it's kept me satisfied for the most part(cept for the sub situation)
You said you want to get a hd-dvd player, is that what you think will win the format war?

cknookie

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Barker
oh and by the way, it was the opening part of serenity and the part in war of the worlds when the aliens come out of the ground for the first time that caused my sub to distort so badly. I hope the SVS fairs better in those scenes cause i will be putting it to the test!! :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know if that was directed at only Dave but I'll respond as well.

This is the view from the back of the room. I was testing the sub in the middle of the floor for rattles. A 12hz tone at 100db made me a little dizzy and made the door to the room shake violently. I sold those 4 drivers as well as the other two subs in the picture.

Here's the driver I currently run sitting beside a good sized 12" sub. My 15" subs weigh 48 pounds each.

Here is one mounted in a test box. The sub on the left side of the picture is a small one I run when I don't want to disturb the rest of the house. It's a little 12" in a 1.2 cubic foot sealed cabinet.

-Robert

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
cknookie, Thanks for the complements. Be sure to check out the members theaters also. There are some very nice theaters.
Now I need to warn you about bass. As you can see from Roberts set-up the quest for the ultimate bass can be addictive. We have a few bassaholics here at HTF. Some have been through rehab a few times with out success. I would recommend you stay away from these guys at least until you move out from your parents house. Being a bassaholic can break up a happy home…..literally :D

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Addictive? No. I don't have a problem. If you ask my wife, she will have a different answer. For example, here's my collection of 12" subs I've been playing with (from top right, clockwise):
Ascendant Audio - Atlas (with XBL^2 motor!)
Stryke/AE Speakers - AV series (aka TC Sounds - TC2+)
Soundsplinter - RL-p series (aka TC Sounds - TC9)
Vamp Audio - VMP series (designed by Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio and built by Eminence)
Adire Audio - Shiva
Bazooka Audio - EL series ($15 each. I couldn't pass up that deal)
Blueprint Audio - 01 series (with XBL^2 motor!)

My other subs (not pictured):
Resonant Engineering - RE series 8"
Blueprint Audio - 01 series 10"
Lambda Acoustics - SB series 10" (lots of copper in the motor)
Cerwin Vega - V-Max series 10" (The older ones with lots of bling. The specs are great no matter what others think about them.)
TC Sounds - TC-3000 15" (They are in the first pics)
Frankensubs - TC9 motor assemblies with 18" cones from Fi Car Audio. Scott Atwell built the cone parts specifically for an infinite baffle install.

With all that, I still look at buying more. Fi Car Audio is having a blowout sale on their X series. A pair of 12's paired up with a 500w amp from Parts Express and you can clone an SVS PB12-NSD/2 ($900) for under $500.

Nope. Not addicted.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks