What's new

Home Theater Planning, please help (1 Viewer)

Tkinney1016

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Kinney
Well I am posting from my phone and I was going to try and post a pic of my living room layout but I'm unable to. If anyone knows how to do this let me know. Other than that ill try to explain in words.
My living room is basically square aside from the fireplace that is at an angle directly to the left of my tv. Room is 19' deep x 16' wide. 9' flat ceilings. I do not have room for any floor standing speakers to the front due to the fireplace directly to the left and slider directly to the right. I cannot put any floor standing to the rear due to a sectional couch fitting in one corner. I also have small children and would like to keep the expensive stuff out of reach.
I know floor standing speakers are best but due to these issues I feel satellite speakers mounted to the ceiling would be best for my situation. I have searched and am thinking about Definitive Technology pro monitor 800 or 1000's for 4 corners and pro center 1000. Any other suggestions as far as loud speakers go?
As for a sub I don't know what would be a good pairing with those. Shall I just go with a full def tech system or get a better sub? Ive seen HSU and SVS suggested a lot. This will be my first surround and prob my last for a while so I want to get good speakers and sub so they last. I also want good sound quality but do like big bass. I don't want to shake the house down but I like it loud.
I will use it for 90% movies and games, 10% music. I still have to buy the receiver and would like the system to cost around $2,000. I don't mind going a bit more and less is always better.
For a receiver I was thinking about a Denon 1912? Any other suggestions? I don't really know what I'm looking for or need. I'm just a basic movie and game guy and like to watch my action movies loud :)
Thanks for any input and suggestions! Sorry for being long winded

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I've never heard them but the Def Techs seem very nice. The 1000 is really a small bookshelf speaker. For theater use I think they'll both be great. For music I'd go with the 1000.
I think placing the front speakers in the corners is too wide a placement. You want them about 30d off center, give or take. The surrounds should be just slightly behind the listening position. If you have to place the surrounds in the corner for appearance, so be it (it's not as bad as the fronts), but know it's not ideal. You can find the Dolby placement write-ups on-line.
I'm sure DefTech makes a good sub. But Hsu and SVS are so well known I would just go with one of those. Plus, a quick Google says the Deftech subs are not cheap.
If you have no specific receiver needs, then that Denon is fine. Any receiver, especially any mid+ receivers, from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Harman/Kardon, or Onkyo will do you well.

Tkinney1016

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Kinney
I read that the smallest someone would want to go for cone size on a small speaker was 5", since the 1000's have a 4 and 3/4" I think with the radiator I figure they would be decent.
As far as technical terminology I am a newb. What is 30d off center? And I have heard of Dolby but don't really know what it means. Ill try to look for the write ups on that.
I know my room setup is not ideal, unfortunately it's what I have to work with. The rears have to be to the side some because the couch is against the back wall. I was just going to point them towards the couch.
The fronts were the tricky part because of the angled fireplace. To move the left speaker further left from the tv means it also gets closer to you and will be 6' forward of the tv if I move it out all the way which is about 8' from the tv center. The right side I can just match the left placement. There is just literally no room on either side of my tv to put anything, it literally takes up the only wall space available between the sliding door and fireplace.
As for the sub I was going to put in the center of the right wall due to the left side being open to the dining and kitchen.
And thanks for the help!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
since the 1000's have a 4 and 3/4
Acording to their site, the 1000s have a 5.25" driver. So if they don't overwhelm the room, definitely the way to go.
What is 30d off center?
I was being lazy, I just meant 30 degrees from where the primary listening spot is. I'm not getting a good visual of your room. But while the room may not be ideal, that's not what I meant; placing the fronts too far apart is not idea.
As for the room, you can only fight the room so much. If you have to go with an off-nominal placement, well, the auto-correction will help with that. They'll still sound excellent.
If you're placing them up at ceiling height, consider mounting them so they angle down, the high frequencies are very directional.
That's a good place to start with the sub, but if you have other placement options you should probably experiment a little. Google, "sub crawl".

Tkinney1016

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Kinney
I will check out the 30 degree thing. And when I get my system ill look into the best place to put it.
Do you think the 1000's will overwhelm the room, it's about 300 sq ft.
Will it sound ok if the fronts are closer to you than the center? I will angle all the speakers at the couch.

Tkinney1016

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Kinney
Well I measured 30 degrees and it puts my fronts at almost the same spot as I had originally planned. Only question is will it sound ok with the fronts being closer to me than the center?

Tkinney1016

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler Kinney
I checked out the pinnacle. It's nice but not really what I'm looking for as when I move or make a different room a home theater room I would like to have the dedicated l/r/c speakers.
I am however debating on building my own sub. I am pretty handy and have access to wood working tools. I think with the info help from others I can have a better sub for less $

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you check the used values on the QP 9 and 15, you'd get most of your money back.
Or, you can just buy a used one from someone else and re-sell it yourself. Speakers last for decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks