What's new

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi all,

I have just received the complete Barnaby Jones Series. I was looking at tracking down episode mention on Cheers "Hey, it's right now.

Let's tune in.
Oh, this is a great Barnaby Jones, though.
This is the one where he goes undercover as a swinger to solve a jewel heist.
Well, we'll, uh, flip back and forth."

Does anyone know the name of the episode?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Carabimero said:
I'm dying to know what the picture quality is like.

I have only watched a few episodes and the quality appears to be fine. I am more curious to find out the name of episode that "Cheers" via Norma called out during an episode. FYI - I have tried google or other sites, but have had zero results to my query.

Regards,

Paul Young

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I was planning on ordering Barnaby Jones , but I've been wondering how good or bad they the picture quality is .

I'm hoping for Beverley Hillbillies , Petticoat Juction among other shows , so I hope VEI can do a good job on these series . It crossed my mind that Paramount /CBS may be done with Gunsmoke , and Bonanza, and so I wonder if it's possible VEI might be able to release the remainder of these shows as well?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Glad the picture quality is at least tolerable. I am not an expert on the series, but the Cheers reference does sound an awful lot like it was just a joke; i.e. the most inappropriate sounding plot for a Barnaby Jones episode the writers could imagine.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
FanCollector said:
Glad the picture quality is at least tolerable. I am not an expert on the series, but the Cheers reference does sound an awful lot like it was just a joke; i.e. the most inappropriate sounding plot for a Barnaby Jones episode the writers could imagine.

I am starting to believe that is the case. I went through three episodes with a jewellery plot and not one had Barnaby Jones as swinger.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The quality can vary from episode to episode, but it is no where near the poor quality that was with Cannon. It seems some work went into cleaning up the picture quality as compare Cannon

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just bought this from VEI. I hope I don't regret it. But I enjoyed season one so much I decided it was worth the gamble.

What surprises me is that Amazon's price is higher then VEI's, and while Amazon is out of stock, there's only 1 review from someone disenchanted by the price.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Carabimero said:
Just bought this from VEI. I hope I don't regret it. But I enjoyed season one so much I decided it was worth the gamble.

What surprises me is that Amazon's price is higher then VEI's, and while Amazon is out of stock, there's only 1 review from someone disenchanted by the price.
Barnaby Jones is a great show! I haven't gotten it yet after being so disappointed with the Hotel release. Amazon Canada has it the cheapest at under 100 dollars for the complete series. I thought of picking it up there but I am going to wait to hear/see reviews on how the picture quality is. I am going to try to get it the cheapest I can.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I decided to support VEI to show my appreciation for them releasing some of these titles I want. I don't expect CBS quality, but I do appreciate their putting this title out there, even in less-than-pristine condition. Here's hoping it is better than Hotel. Yikes that was bad.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I received my set today. I can't compare it to Hotel since I didn't pickup that title. First off, I did a quick sampling of a few scenes from an episode on each season on my computer (not a perfect way to evaluate, tomorrow I will try from my regular viewing device). My first observation was that season one just may be based on the same remastered video CBS used. I say this because there was practically no print damage and the video, from the sampling, looked better (more detail) than all other seasons.Hopefully, tomorrow I can do a direct comparison with the CBS season one on a projected screen. Across the remaining seasons the video was a bit less consistent. Some had more visible specs, less detail, and some were a bit washed out. Overall it is what I expected, what looks like a CBS remastered season one with the remaining based on decent but older video masters with varying degrees of age related issues. Again I will try to re-evaluate during the week when i get a chance to view on a projected screen.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
smithbrad said:
I received my set today. I can't compare it to Hotel since I didn't pickup that title. First off, I did a quick sampling of a few scenes from an episode on each season on my computer (not a perfect way to evaluate, tomorrow I will try from my regular viewing device). My first observation was that season one just may be based on the same remastered video CBS used. I say this because there was practically no print damage and the video, from the sampling, looked better (more detail) than all other seasons.Hopefully, tomorrow I can do a direct comparison with the CBS season one on a projected screen. Across the remaining seasons the video was a bit less consistent. Some had more visible specs, less detail, and some were a bit washed out. Overall it is what I expected, what looks like a CBS remastered season one with the remaining based on decent but older video masters with varying degrees of age related issues. Again I will try to re-evaluate during the week when i get a chance to view on a projected screen.
Thank you. How long was it from the time you ordered till you got it?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I ordered it right when the pre-order became available. It took 4 days to get to me once shipped. I recall someone else that received theirs the end of last week that just ordered a few days before, so it doesn't look like they are necessarily going in order but just planning to ship all relatively quickly.

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
My friend got his set today. After sampling some episodes from each season, he found the episodes are cut. Running time on each is episode is 46 minutes. The "act 1, 2, 3, 4" breaks are missing as are the next week previews.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Jimmyr1960 said:
My friend got his set today. After sampling some episodes from each season, he found the episodes are cut. Running time on each is episode is 46 minutes. The "act 1, 2, 3, 4" breaks are missing as are the next week previews.

Guess that means this set should be avoided like the friggin' plague.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jimmyr1960 said:

I did a quick check on one episode from season one and season two. Season one does have the Acts while the episode on season two did not. That helps clarify that season one is most likely based on what CBS used for their season one release. However, that means CBS is probably guilty of supplying edited syndicated masters for the remaining seasons to VEI. On a quick check the fades in and out looked fine between breaks. It could be that for syndication purposes CBS removed the Acts and next week preview, which might account for the timing difference. In any case, I don't feel it is a fault of VEI. I suppose it will be a deal breaker to some, but not to me. I highly doubt that what is missing is going to affect my enjoyment. Heck, my childhood was based on watching syndicated shows in the late 60's and early 70's. It is obviously great having them now complete, but somehow I managed to like them as they were back then as well.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Jimmyr1960 said:

My set is still on the way, but if this is true then I am disappointed, but not heartbroken. I was hoping I'd get washed out prints (a la Cannon) that were at least uncut. But I am still very much looking forward to renewing acquaintances with Barnaby no matter what. Until this summer I thought I'd have nothing but season 1, so I thank VEI for releasing what they've been given and am still expecting to enjoy it thoroughly.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Brad and Jim - Thanks for your posts. Over the weekend, I ordered the set thru Amazon Canada and it's due next Monday. It's good to know what I can expect.

I still have my copy of Season 1 from several years ago. Considering the comments about the Hotel set, I wish I'd gotten Season 1 of that show, too.

I'm disappointed about the missing "Act" acknowledgments and the "next week" previews, but it's certainly not going to make me want to cancel my order or spoil my enjoyment. I don't imagine this series will ever get another big release (i.e., Blu-ray), so I'm just happy that the entire series is now available, despite its imperfections. With Hotel, based on the criticisms I've ready about the quality, I'll hold off until there's a major drop in price or special sale. But for Barnaby, I wasn't willing to wait. It will be good to see it on the shelf beside my recently purchased Complete Cannon set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks