What's new

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
My friend just updated me on his set. He's still spot checking episodes. And found that some have the act breaks and run 50 minutes. Others do not. So the set seems to be a conglomeration of sources.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm prepared for this to be a less-than-ideal set. On the other hand, this is one of a handful of holy grail series left for me. I think I am now down to only two series I don't have that I really, really want. It's obscene to be so spoiled :)

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Ill get it when its dirt cheap….the video quality and edits aren't worth buying it at the high price it is now…I was burned once with Hotel…no more ...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Perhaps you could sell it used on eBay. At least recoup something.

When I get my BARNABY JONES set, I am going to watch it and and just grin and bear the missing footage and imperfections. I know it's ridiculous to see a 70-year-old man chasing after criminals, but gosh darn it, I love that show.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This is a show I've wanted more for what it is, rather than being familiar with all episodes, so I'm prepared to grin and bear it, but only when the price comes down more. I have too much a sense that the end of the line is coming for major titles for me, so I have to be prepared to accept this as my best-case scenario.

What a pity we couldn't have gotten 2-3 seasons from CBS remastered before they stalled it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's 10:35 PM PT time and I just got confirmation that my order shipped. Hopefully it will be here soon. I'm going to skip straight to season two and start there.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
So are actual scenes/bits missing or just the act breaks? If it's just minor things that are unrelated to the episode like the breaks, that I can live with. I take it, the picture quality is somewhat or a lot better than Cannon then.

pegward

Grip
Real Name
Peggy
I appreciate the reviews. I am still waiting on mine, the shipping label was created but the status hasn't changed since that happened. I am going to be very disappointed if these are the syndicated versions since you lose key parts of the story with the syndicated versions. I always shook my head when I would watch the full the episode versus the syndicated one and see what they decided wasn't necessary to the story.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Barnaby Jones is a great show! I haven't gotten it yet after being so disappointed with the Hotel release. Amazon Canada has it the cheapest at under 100 dollars for the complete series. I thought of picking it up there but I am going to wait to hear/see reviews on how the picture quality is. I am going to try to get it the cheapest I can.
Is the under-$100 price still in effect? If so, would you (or another member) please provide a link?

Thank you.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Watched the full two-part version of "The Deadly Conspiracy" last night. It's a significant addition in that it hasn't been seen that way, at least domestically, for forty years. The completist in me appreciates having this version on the Barnaby Jones set, and the one-hour syndication version on the Cannon set. The syndicated version is not really a good show, but it's instructive to see how QM Productions edited a 90-minute story into just over half that length and had it make sense at all.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Hello! How is the picture quality? Does The Deadly Conspiracy have the full opening credits and all The ACTS? Also, have you been able to check the video quality, running time, the credits and ACTS on some more Barnaby Jones episodes? Thanks!

Robert

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Packaging is perfect as usual. Picture discs, episode titles per disc, and synopsis with air date provided on season cases. I will post pics later tonight.
Picture quality Is decent(better than I expected) sampling from seasons 3, and 6. A sad shame it isn't closed captioned( just season 1)as my mom really loves this show and is quite deaf. And here comes trouble-every episode I sampled clocks in at 46 minutes and change the longest being 46:17. This indicates to me that they are syndicated prints, with roughly 3 minutes being cut. Not a deal breaker for me as I am just glad to see all eight seasons on DVD, but complete is always better. And I did only sample a handful of episodes so it's possible some may be complete.
I have been waiting and waiting for Barnaby Jones to continue on dvd since the beautiful remastered 1st season(which is the version included on this set) years ago. And the complete series-or close to it-will likely please most fans of the show. I know I'm happy to own it. I give VEI credit for continuing to release classic titles on DVD.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Bryan^H said:
Packaging is perfect as usual. Picture discs, episode titles per disc, and synopsis with air date provided on season cases. I will post pics later tonight.
Picture quality Is decent(better than I expected) sampling from seasons 3, and 6. A sad shame it isn't closed captioned( just season 1)as my mom really loves this show and is quite deaf. And here comes trouble-every episode I sampled clocks in at 46 minutes and change the longest being 46:17. This indicates to me that they are syndicated prints, with roughly 3 minutes being cut. Not a deal breaker for me as I am just glad to see all eight seasons on DVD, but complete is always better. And I did only sample a handful of episodes so it's possible some may be complete.
I have been waiting and waiting for Barnaby Jones to continue on dvd since the beautiful remastered 1st season(which is the version included on this set) years ago. And the complete series-or close to it-will likely please most fans of the show. I know I'm happy to own it. I give VEI credit for continuing to release classic titles on DVD.
The release sounds decent minus the edits….probably why the PQ is better since it seems its the syndicated versions. I'll probably get it when the price drops.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Deadly Conspiracy episodes were unedited and in very good shape. It may be because there were no syndication prints of those shows. I will keep an eye on the running times and quality as I watch more episodes.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The Obsolete Man said:
Are the 46 minute episodes timesped? That I could accept. But syndication edits are unacceptable to me.

This inquiring mind would also like to know. While sub-par transfers of complete episodes are disappointing, edited episodes are unacceptable to me. I hate PAL speed-up/time compressed releases, but I'll take them over edited episodes any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks