What's new

B&W decision time (1 Viewer)

Patrick_T

Agent
Ok,

so, I am buying some b&w's from the cdm line and I need to ask a question. I am going to be building this system as money allows and thus will not have a sub for some time. My decision has come down to either the cdm 1nt or the 7nt for mains. I can afford the 1nt currently and would have to save additionaly for the 7nt's. If I plan on adding a sub in the future and crossing over at say..80Hz...is there any reason to save and get the 7nt? Would room size play a factor, seeing as how they have the same tweeter and mid-range? I am in an apartment and I don't plan on living in a much larger residence int the forseeable furture.

Thanks

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I'd probably save alittle longer for the 7NTs. It's only my opinion, but after hearing the 1NTs a few times, I believe that the 7NTs will give you more extention and will make you happier both in the short and long term. The 7s should give you more clean bass extention right away. Maybe as much as an additional 15hz or so. In the long-term, after you get a sub, LOOKOUT! That'll be one bad A#$ Setup. Those 7NTs will really sing with the inclusion of a good sub.

I heard the 1NTs with a pair of SVS subs, powered by a rotel/sampson amp combo. Quite frankly, my 603s running off a Marantz AV rec easily compared. Yes, I have a sub but nothing special. My point here is that I think the 7NTs are worth waiting for and will make you happier than the 1NTs.

just my $.02

--Steve

Patrick_T

Agent
So far the 7nts are getting the nod. Now, it seems to me that the vast majority of reasonably priced receivers are not going to let me set a different crossover point for the various speakers in my setup.so..if the center and surrounds don't play as low as the 7nts then aren't I wasting the low frequency extension of the 7nts once a sub is introduced into the system? Thanks

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
If this is a dedicated Home Theater, having the extra range the 7s offer might be less critical, but YOU WILL NOT be wasting the 7NTs. Especially if you listen to music as well. This becomes even more evident if you consider the various surround formats that are sure to become more prevalent for home concerts and Audio CDs. The inclusion of a sub will certainly free up the 7s for better music and movie performance. A sub will enhance their natural capabilities (which exceed the 1s). Here is a thread that touches on some of this. Pay atten to John K and Brian F's comments as they touch on this to some extent and in good detail.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003524.html
--Steve

DaveN

Grip
I have the 7nt's and I wouldn't trade them. I recommend that you hold out just a little longer to get the improved bass performance. My system includes a sub but it is not necessary when listening to music. Frequently, I just listen through the mains.

I also think having the full range makes a bit of difference when watching movies. I have all of my front speakers set to 'large' and the sound is incredible.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold out for the 7nt's. However, B&W makes great speakers all around. If the money is burning a hole in your pockets....the 1nt's will sound pretty good too.

Just my $.02

David

(BTW, the 7nt's are bi-wirable. Be sure to either bi-wire them or keep the connector straps in place!)

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the 7NTs. I listened to both and the 7s, to me, sounded much fuller. Remember, you will probably keep these for quite a while and you'll be kicking yourself if you don't get the best you can now.

MSRP for the 7s is $1,000/speaker; SoundAdvice in Florida is having a sale on them for $850/speaker

Denward

Supporting Actor
Maybe you can have your cake and eat it too. Check with your retailer to see if they have a trade-up program where you can buy the 1's and then trade them in at full purchase price for the 7's at some later date.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
So, the 7NTs are about $1000/speaker - doesn't put them on the same price level as the Nautilus 805s? What are the advantages to the NTs over the 805s? I heard the 805s and really liked them a while ago driven by a Krell integrated. If I ever get tired of my Proacs I believe these would be on my shortlist.

Patrick_T

Agent
So, the 7NTs are about $1000/speaker - doesn't put them on the same price level as the Nautilus 805s? What are the advantages to the NTs over the 805s? I heard the 805s and really liked them a while ago driven by a Krell integrated. If I ever get tired of my Proacs I believe these would be on my shortlist.

yeah the N805 and the 7NT are at the same price point..but if you throw in the stands the N805 jump to like 2600, plus I've found you need a much more expensive amp to drive them. I think the cdm line is a great compromise between their lines.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Chris:

The 805's are more refined, while the 7NT's are more full-range.

I always thought the CDM line was excellent for the price, and even more so since they "upped" it to the CDM-NT line.

Larry

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick T,
Have you auditioned the Revel M20's? Many feel these bookshelves are better then the N805's!!! Also look for used F30's...they can be had for the same price as the 7NT's and IMO a MUCH better speaker hands down. While B&W makes an awesome speaker, I think the competition (The Revels) have them beat but that is just my opinion AND I'M STICKI'N to it! :)
Michael

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Ok, here comes the fly in the ointment.

I have CDM1SEs (the model previous to the NTs) as our HT mains and have had them about a year. My wife and I also have a pair of Nautilus 804s for dedicated stereo.

We used to have the CDM7SEs as our HT mains, but sold them once we added a sub (Sunfire) to the rig. Why? Well, I felt the 7s were too big for the room size (11 x 16)and that the bass from the towers was going to waste with the addition of the sub.

Don't get me wrong. We loved the 7s, but haven't missed them. The 1SEs combined with the sub are the equal to the 7SEs, both for HT and casual music listening. IMO.

In the final analysis, you can't go wrong with either speaker.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I am in an apartment and I don't plan on living in a much larger residence int the forseeable furture.
I think that statememt is key here. Although I am a proponent of floorstanders(I have 9NTs), in your current situation you could make a good case for getting the bookshelves with a good sub and upgrading to towers when you move into a house. As Denward mentioned, many dealers will give you credit towards an upgrade within a certain amount of time(usually a year).

If that is not possible down the road though, then get the 7NTs.

DJ

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Larry hit it on hte head when he says that B&W upped to ante when they went from the cdmSE line to cdmNT. they put the ACTUAL 800 series tweeter in that, and it made a huge difference.

CDM line is a great speaker for the $$$, you will not be disappointed

btw, I have the CDM7NT

Ken Makela

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

It took me over 2 years to build my Home Theater and I believe you should buy what you really want and do it in stages. I had a 32" Sony and a sony VCR to start. Here is the sequence of purchases:

April '99: CDM 7SE, Rotel RSX-965, Rotel RCD-951

Sept. '99: B&W DS6

Dec. '99: CDM CSE, Panasonic A-320, Servo 15-A

March 2000: Bell ExpressVu 4700 (Echostar)

Oct 2001: Toshiba 57HX81

Buy the best quality you can afford at the time so that you won't regret your purchases later. You will not be disappointed with the 7NT.

Good Luck,

Ken

Patrick_T

Agent
Have you auditioned the Revel M20's? Many feel these bookshelves are better then the N805's!!! Also look for used F30's...they can be had for the same price as the 7NT's and IMO a MUCH better speaker hands down. While B&W makes an awesome speaker, I think the competition (The Revels) have them beat but that is just my opinion AND I'M STICKI'N to it!
Hey,

Yeah, I have actually auditioned the Revel's....but that kind of thinking is what has gotten me to the point I am now. I originally traded in a pair of high end speakers because I could not afford to upgrade the rest of the line toward a home theater...now..being the fool I am...I am in the same boat again. I got hooked on a pair of Thiels, but am again unable to upgrade them to a home theater. This time I am determined to go with a speaker I enjoy, but at the same time will be able to afford to turn into a home theater as time goes on. I currently have the Thiel speakers and the dealer will give me the full price toward any speakers I choose. I could basically give them my Thiels (CS .5) for the 1NT's and stands with zero cost to me. But, based on the feedback here, I think I might save a bit and go with the 7NT's....

Thanks

Gil D

Supporting Actor
This time I am determined to go with a speaker I enjoy, but at the same time will be able to afford to turn into a home theater as time goes on.
I'm a little confused :confused:
Wouldn't you still be in the same boat as you are now? Another set of new mains w/out matching center, surrounds?, etc..
Can't you just get a matching Snell center? I'm not sure how important 100% matching rear speakers really are if that's what your after and where the big expense lies.
Anyway if you go with the CDM1 make sure your happy with the sub blend if you plan to use this with music. The CDM1 is rolled off a bit already at 60Hz. CDM-CNT has better bass extension and is a very good center IMO. I plan to use three of them upfront for an HT application unless I'm swayed to the 7's or 9's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks