What's new

B&W 601 s2 (1 Viewer)

Zack<P>

Agent
i just got a set of these off a friend i work with for about 400. needless to say these speakers just put my yahmahas to shame. the sound is crisp and clear specialy when listening to blues and jazz. now i need to find some new floor standing speakers. anyone have a good suggestion on this. i was think of B&W 604 or 603 depending on how much i can afford. im looking for great sound at a decent price.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Will there be a sub in the equation?

As my NAD dealer likes to say, why buy bass twice?

I have 601 S1's for the back, and 604 S1's for the front, rounded out by a CC6 center, and a HSU 1225 Sub. The point being that I am pretty well wasting the low end capability of the 604's such that I would be just as well off with a 601 or 602.

If you have a sub, and crossover at 80 Hz or so, a 604 would be largely wasted, although their height does get the tweeter up where it needs to be!

But when I bought them, I needed floor standers, as my daughter was just starting to crawl, and stand mounts would have been too dangerous. So, I found a nice pair of 604s used. Liked them so much, I rounded out the set with other the rest of my B&Ws.

But were I to do it today, I see no need for the 604s. A 601 or 602 would work just as well.

But, you are on the right track looking for S2 600 series B&W's. The benefit of sticking with the same brand, and type of speaker can not be overstated. It took my a while to assemble the set, but now that I have it, I would never go back to mismatched speakers.

BGL

Zack<P>

Agent
ok i have a vylodine 10 powered sub not sure the model. a yahmaha vx1200 reciever so yeah come to think about it i do have the lows covered. im not sur if it covers the 80 hrz though. anyway thanks for the imput and saving me bookoo bucks man. btw i didnt get ripped off on those 601 s2 for 400 bucks did i.they dont have 10 hrs of playing time on them either or so he says.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
You have a good start with the 601S2s. I've had those speakers as my HT rears for five years now and I still love them. Stick with the 600 series. I would recommend 602s for the fronts, along with the LCR600 for the center. Then you'll be set.

I've had my B&Ws for a couple of years now and love them to death. I have the DM620i for the fronts, DM602 for rears and the DM600 IFS for center channel. I bought mine used from a friend who had moved over from England, hence the funny product lines.
What are you using for your receiver? The B&W sound great on my Harman Kardon receiver.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I don't think you got "ripped off" but I don't think you got the deal-of-the-century either. Didn't they retail for $450/$500 new? 5 years ago? Look, don't fret it. They're great speakers.

I have both the 603s and the 601s and have used them both as mains at different points for practical reasons. In both configs, I used a sub (full-time) to compliment the speakers.

I prefer the sound of the 603's for music and found the bass was (measurably) smoother and the mids/highs more detailed. They also gave me a better soundstage. The 601s are a great speaker with a super price/performance value. While I prefer the 603s as mains... you pay more than twice as much (if I remember the MSRPs correctly). You're certainly hitting the point of deminishing marginal returns, IMO.

--steve

Zack<P>

Agent
for the reciever im running the yahmaha vx1200. awsome reciever since ive owned it i have never had a single complaint against the system .

Zack<P>

Agent
for the reciever im running the yahmaha vx1200. awsome reciever since ive owned it i have never had a single complaint against the system .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks