What's new

B&K vs. Rotel? (1 Viewer)

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to decide on a 5 channel amp in the $1000 bracket. I'm currently auditioning a discontinued B&K

AV 5000. I love the tonal characteristics, smoothness yet still quite detailed sound. A local dealer has a Rotel 1095 he said I could audition. I'm interested in the 1075 which is the little brother of the 1095. Any experience with these amps and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I believe the 1095 is about twice your budget, unless you can go used. Its an excellent amp which I believe will outclass the AV5000 in almost every, if not every aspect. I haven't heard the 1075 though.

george king

Supporting Actor
I have the Rotel 1075, and love it. The detail is amazing. The amp has won several awards lately (SGHT gold award for example). the sound is similar to the 1095, but there is some minor (and I do mean minor, maybe 5%) loss in detail and depth with the 1075 compared to the 1095. However, the 1095 is almost twice as much, and I could not justify the price difference for the performance difference.

If you do not listen at ear bleed levels, the 1075 is a great amp, and IMHO a better "value".

Hope this helps.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I have the Rotel 1075, and love it. The detail is amazing. The amp has won several awards lately (SGHT gold award for example). the sound is similar to the 1095, but there is some minor (and I do mean minor, maybe 5%) loss in detail and depth with the 1075 compared to the 1095.
George your killing me. I hate it, but I have to agree with you AGAIN:). I checked out the 1075 and it did sound VERY much like the 1095. If it wasn't for my plans at getting power hungry speakers in the future. I would have saved a lot of money and gotten the 1075. In the end I went with the 1095, because of my future speaker plans. One of these days we'll disagree. ;)

george king

Supporting Actor
Legairre,

Yes we seem to agree on a lot (long lost brothers?). I understand why you made your decision. I have Kef speakers which are efficient (91 dB), and I do not currently listen at loud levels (the HT is in the living room). However, we will probably move in 2-3 years, and the wife has agreed to a "game room" which will be a dedicated HT, so power may be an issue then.

george king

Supporting Actor
Mark,
You are absolutely right. If I had the extra money, in spite of having efficient speakers, I would have gotten the 1095. But I also have to get a new TV, and the money wasn't there to do a reasonable TV and the 1095, and my wife did not hear the huge improvement going from the 1075 to 1095 that she heard going from the Yamaha 995 to the 1075.
I am sure that Legairre gets a big grin :) every time he powers up his theater.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Love my Rotel 1075. I can push my HT so loud that I can't hear the phone or the doorbell, and it doesn't seem as if th amp is straining at all.

I have my Rotel gear matched with B&W CDM speakers. A very smoothe combination. B&K also makes fine products, but I noticed during my research-before-buying phase that B&K amps get very hot. Not so with the Rotel.

I'm sure the 1095 offers more kick than the 1075, but the price difference simply didn't justify what would be, for me, a small improvement in performance.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Mike, you never did mention what speakers you are using ?? The 1095 is a MONSTER and if there is a comparasion to be made with B&K it would have to be with the 7250..

I dont know how much of a difference you would hear between the 1075 and 1095, but with the 1095 you would NEVER have to look back and re-think your decision..

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Mark,
I simply love the 1095. This thing has blown me away since the first day. I have noticed that it's warmed up a bit though. I've had to up my treble to +6 to get the same detail I use to get at +4. Way more power than my ears or current speakers could ever handle. Absolutely my favorite piece of HT gear. My wife asked me a few days ago if I had to get rid of the 61" RPTV(she knows how much I love this thing) or the amp. Which one would I get rid of? I told her if I had too choose, "just hand me the hammer and screwdriver so I can take the door off the hinges". She said "why". I said "so I can get the TV out the door". The amp will never leave me as long as I'm alive. Do I love this thing? You bet I do. Now I'm dying for a real pre/pro.
My wife says I look like the joker evertime I fire up the HT. :D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Making a comparison between those two amps is not fair. As John stated, the amp from B&K to compare the 1095 with is the B&K 7250, not the 5000.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Oops sorry guys. I never ment to compare the two. I was just excited again. Damn, I get like this everytime I talk about the 1095.:b

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Legairre, I know exactly what you mean..as evidenced with my parasound 2205 thread:) One guy went as far as to call me certifiable, nuts, deaf and the works..
Congrats your 1095-you made the right choice :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
John: I'm using Energy C-2's for mains and an Energy AC-300 in the center with Energy RVSS surrounds and an Energy EPS150 sub. I want to clarify my comparison. I'm interested in the differences in the B&K 5000 and The 1075 not the 1095. Someone stated that the B&K is warmer than the Rotel that is a comparison that is useful. My local Rotel dealer only has the 1095 in stock for me to audition not the 1075. If I like the sound of the 1095 I could assume the 1075 sounds similar but with a little less head room. :)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Legairre:
There's nothing quite as touching as a man and his amp. May you and your 1095 have many years of bliss together.:laugh:

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
what speakers do you have? some matches are made in heaven (like B&W and Rotel) and others really don't work well together. i think this is something you need to consider.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Now I'm dying for a real pre/pro.[/QUOTE}

Legairre, I felt the same way when I first got my Rotel RMB-1066 to power the fronts/center and my Denon 1801 powering the rears. I knew it would be a long time before I could get one of those top of the line pre/pros or even the 950 when it comes out so I compromised. I sold my Denon for $500CDN/$300US on the net and for an extra $150CDN/$90US picked up Marantz AV560U pre/pro from a local dealer who was selling on ebay. The unit was new sealed in box and came with the Marantz RC-2000MkII remote which sells for $300CDN itself. I've been in seperates heaven ever since.

Kevin

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Here's another vote for the 1075. Just goto to ecoustics.com and do a search and you'll find many great reviews on this amp.

I'm running Paradigm Studio 40's (which I would consider bright'ish/forward)and was running a HK PA5800 amp. I was really leaning towards B&K as I heard that they had a "warm" sound. I brought home a B&K 5000 (not series II)and compared it to my HK, and to me, the 5000 was brighter than the HK, but also more dynamic and open, but I couldn't live with the added brightness.

Another dealer then talked me into taking the Rotel 1075 home and the decision was easy. I still wouldn't call the Rotel "warm", I would use the word "sweet". The highs are there, just sweeter, and the midband is where I can really note an improvement, and it does all of that while still delivering a solid bottom end. I've never been able to stress mine, or even make it very warm.

I even played several music tracks for my wife and son (quasi-blind test)to make sure that it just wasn't me, and both of them chose the Rotel. My 8 year old son, who I expected to say that he couldn't tell a difference, summed it up by saying; "it just sounded better dad."

Highly recommended for the money, I paid $900.00 locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks