What's new

Rotel rsp 1066 Vs B&K ref 31 (1 Viewer)

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
In your opinion is it worth spending +-300$ more on a b&k rather the rotel? Why?
Thank you

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Why only those two? Can you not look at the newer Rotel 1068? Its got a host of new features that are worth the extra funds over the 1066.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I would get the Ref 31 if you plan to limit yourself to used since it sounds great and the bass notch filter is a big plus in many systems. However, it would not cost that much more to move up to the Rotel 1068 which is a substantial step up from both of your other choices in terms of sound and features. If you are going to keep this setup for two plus years, the 31 would be a good choice but lots of times people make a choice based on saving a few dollars now and are shortly unhappy with it and sell it ending up spending more than they would if they had originally bought the more expensive unit.:)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
the 1068 adds PLIIx, video upconversion, better sonics, much better BM and increased setup flexibility since its largely based on the flagship 1098. The used 1066's are still commanding a price premium so you may find that the 1068 isn't that much more esp when you factor in the warrenty etc. As for real world comparisons check out Club Rotel as there's a host of posts on the topic.

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
What is the difference between the 1068 and the 1066?
Why should i take the 1068 and not the b&k ref 31/50?
Thank you

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
See Andrew's post above. He just about covers all the improvements in the 1068 over the 1066.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
So what?? If you want thx get B&K, if you want better sound and better features get the 1068.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I have heard by some that the B&K bests the Rotel. And I'm saying this while firmly seated in Rotel base camp.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Rotels have XS processing and PLIIx that essentially emulate TKX ultra2 so its not that big a loss...either way you're going to end up with a fantastic unit so there's no clear winner one way or the other.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
You already know the answer to your question assuming you have read the posts in this thread, and besides its irrelevent what we would chose since YOU will be listening to the pre/pro, not us. Suggest you make a decision and go with it.:)

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
By the way do any one know if the rotel can work with 220v 50Hz that will be transfer to 110v 50Hz? (will it affect the sound? will it damage the rotel? what will happen if it will transfer to 110v 60Hz?)
What about the B&k?
Thank you

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to have Rotel swap out the power supplies to get it to work with either ...at least I'm pretty sure you can get the power amps converted over for a nominal fee. If you like fire me an email and I'll pass your question on to one of Rotel's better tech support guys.

Yogi

Screenwriter

IMHO, it does. I would go for the 50/31 over the Rotels. Plus the B&K CS is excellent. There is live tech help if you want to discuss any problems or if you have any questions. Just dont sent them emails:). Plus they are made in the good ol US of A.

Yogi

Screenwriter

IMHO, it does. I would go for the 50/31 over the Rotels. Plus the B&K CS is excellent. There is live tech help if you want to discuss any problems or if you have any questions. Just dont sent them emails:). Plus they are made in the good ol US of A.

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you I have send them an email (rotel):

"Could it (1066/1068) work with 220v 50Hz that will be transfer to 110v 50Hz?
Will it damage the sound or the instrument? what if the current will be transfer to 110v 60Hz?"

and they answer me:

"You should be able to have the unit converted to operate off of 220 or 110. After the voltage conversion is completed, as long as it is done correctly, you should not have any ill effect on the units sound.

Best Regards,
Shane Kea
Technical Support
B&W/Rotel"

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you I have send them an email (rotel):

"Could it (1066/1068) work with 220v 50Hz that will be transfer to 110v 50Hz?
Will it damage the sound or the instrument? what if the current will be transfer to 110v 60Hz?"

and they answer me:

"You should be able to have the unit converted to operate off of 220 or 110. After the voltage conversion is completed, as long as it is done correctly, you should not have any ill effect on the units sound.

Best Regards,
Shane Kea
Technical Support
B&W/Rotel"

Users who are viewing this thread