What's new

Rotel RSX-1055 vs. my current setup (1 Viewer)

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a B&K Reference 20 and a Parasound HCA-855 amp. I've always wanted to upgrade to the Rotel 1066 preamp, but just don't have the money to spend right now. I've heard the 1055 has the same exact processor section in it, so it makes sense to buy since it's cheaper AND has an amp section.

I wouldn't keep the Parasound, however, just because of financial reasons.

My question is this: what do you all think would sound better right now? The Ref 20 and Parasound combo, or the Rotel?

Auditioning at a store would be pointless since I obviously have very different speakers than them (Swan 6.1).

Anyways, opinions would be great to help me decide on this matter.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Spend the money on a factory upgrade for the B&K instead. As good as Rotel is, B&K is even better.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I think that solution would probably be out of his price range b/c what it's sound like is that he wants to sell off both his current pieces and go to a Rotel 1055. If he gets around $800-$900 for his current setup, he wouldn't have to go too much farther for the Rotel whereas if he sends in the Ref20 for an upgrade, it will cost him a lot more.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
you dont say what your listening preferences are....

i doubt the rotel would be better in 2 channel...

if you are need of some of the newer formats/features, than this may make sense...if you dont, what you go is probably better in standard 2 channel, DD, and DTS.

Also, if you do decide to do this, wait a few weeks, rotel is announcing new stuff at CES...

Rich

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
50% music, 50% movies.

How about a B&K AVR-307 receiver? How much do those go for used?

Also, do you think my B&K/Parasound setup would sound better than even the Rotel 1055 with a good amp in the future?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Rob if you were just using the Rotel as a pre amp I'd say yes it could be an improvement but asking any receiver to keep pace with a true power amp is asking an awful lot. Now if you think in the future you might be able to add another power amp and use the rotel as a pre amp it could be worth looking into but as it stands now I'd advise you to keep the combo you have now.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I would say as a pre amp for 2 channel and basic dts and dd, the ref 20 is probably better than the rotel 1055...just my opinion...and i am an owner of the rotel...

Rich

Mark Russ

Second Unit
I will use this analogy, Rotel vs B&K is like Alonzo Mourning (before his kidney disease took effect that is) vs Shaq. As good as Alonzo was, Shaq was still just that much better!

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, it was always my assumption than an older B&K (Reference 20) wouldn't stand up to a newer Rotel (RSX-1055 or 1066 preamp).

Guess I was wrong. :)

Are there any other receivers out there worth looking at that would be an improvement to my current premp when I'm ready to buy a better amp?

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
it all depends on what you want to do with it....if you need a lot of features...or you want the 6.1 channel surround modes, then the rotel will do better...

but the B&K has very good analog components, making ht receivers difficult to surpass...

and the processing necessary for DD and DTS has been around long enough that the newest models don't offer that much improvement...especially since the B&K is a very good product and you have a separate amp...

i just dont think that its worth it for basic stuff...especially if you are going to sell off your amp...

also, you might as well wait...CES is just around the corner.

Rich

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Still a tough decision. If I knew the Rotel would serve as a better preamp in the future, I'd buy it without a doubt. I'm talking 5.1 and stereo performance.

The only advantage I can think of now with the Rotel as far as features go is the component switching, which I've already found a solution for (the Audio Authority box) and 6 channel inputs for SACD which my DVD player supports.

I'm not concerned about 6.1 or 7.1 *yet*.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks