What's new

B&K Ref 30 (1 Viewer)

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
can anbody that owns one please respond. after you set up the speaker calibration how do you know were dolby ref level would be? is it at 0db on the volume knob

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
As I understand it, reference level is whatever you set all of your speakers/sub at, i.e. if you calibrate all of your equipment to 75db (normal reference level), no matter where your volume knob is, that's your reference level.

If it happens to correspond to 0db on your Ref 30, then great. I don't know how likely that is though.

Bob

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
yeah but whats is everbody talking about when they whatch movies at dolby refrence level? do you have to use a spl to find that out?

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Basically, yes. You need to know that whatever reference level you choose (again 75db is typical), you need an SPL meter to make sure all of your speakers and sub(s) are playing at that same reference level. Dolby reference level is suggested to be at 75db but don't quote me on that.

Check the dolby site and there should be recommendations on speaker placement along with what level they recommend as reference. I've seen it before in HTF but don't have a link to it.

Bob

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
when you play the test tones on the bk ref 30 theirs is no way of adjusting the master volume. you just play their test tone and set the level of each speaker to 75db. so here lies my question if you dont use the master volume to set re level how will you know?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ok guys,
Let me straighten this one out.
Reference tones are preset, and if you're doing "reference level" calibration then all speakers are at 75dB including the sub. However, to bring the sub to "level", it should really be about 2-3dB below the other speakers -- thi corrects some frequency response anomalies in the meter at the bottom end.
After that, reference level playback is achieved when the volume control is set to 0.0dB.
The meter could hit 105dB for main speakers, and 115dB for the subwoofer if the soundtrack makes it to 0dBFS -- this is 0dB referenced to Full Scale signal. Most movies won't hit this loud in my experience.
BTW, reference level is pretty damned loud (IMO). I usually listen to -10.0 to -5.0dB -- the only times I listen above that is when I'm testing an amplifier for clipping (seriously).
Regards,

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Thanks for jumping in John. I know you own a Ref 30 and was glad to see someone with experience with that piece chime in.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks